Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GAKking Problem

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
GAKking Problem
on: March 11, 2010, 12:38:41 PM
So i put a used GAK/trekker in my tool roll to replace the AKM bayonet. i have only used it twice and its gone from rock solid to huge amount of play (back and forward)

First time was to cut the rubber mounts that holds the muffler and tonight it was to cut the inner section of a car tyre (to get the wire out for a berimbau)
Sounds rough but both jobs weren't really 'hard on the blade' or putting excessive force on the gak. Kind of reminds me why i have always been a fixed blade advocate. Is this just coincidence? i would of thought been military issue they would of coped more abuse than that?

May have to go back to my original idea and get a gerber prodigy
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: GAKking Problem
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 02:28:28 PM
A GAK certainly wouldn't be much of a replacement for an AKM Bayo . Neither would any other folder , except maybe an Extrema Ratio ROA . Sadly the ROA would set you back $500.00 , and while strong , isn't much good for chores .

If I were you I would look at something like a Mora 2000 , inexpensive , readily replaceable etc.

I have found both my GAK and OH Soldier do pocketknife , and light/medium folder chores quite well .

Chris

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:00:44 PM
So i put a used GAK/trekker in my tool roll to replace the AKM bayonet. i have only used it twice and its gone from rock solid to huge amount of play (back and forward)
I am curious, are you talking about a new style 111mm GAK made by Victorinox or one of those older 108mm GAK's possibly made by any number of different contractors?

Reason I ask is I might understand one of the 108's coming up with a problem like that since not all were well made but if it IS a new 111mm, Hmmmmmmm......... :think:

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 08:19:06 PM
111mm and i have a lot of brokenfodder 108mm in various brands they all seem to be fair quality, the victorinox doesn't stand out in any way
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD