Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG SwitchPlier Pictures...

665ae · 18 · 4017

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
SOG SwitchPlier Pictures...
on: July 13, 2007, 06:16:48 PM
Messing with the camera again this morning  ;D  Some of the pictures look a little off.  I was playing with some of the color settings...

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: SOG SwitchPlier Pictures...
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:55:12 PM
The pictures look great to me! (Actually, I used to think mine looked good, but these light box photos of yours are making all mine look like poo.)

That SwitchPlier sure is a contraption isn't it? Fun to play with, marginally useful. I wonder how much alcohol consumption was involved in the design process?  :cheers:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 07:58:46 PM
I actually think the SwitchPlier is very useful IF you aren't doing a lot of heavy jobs.  I carried mine for about a week, and it performed very well.  I wasn't using it to open any stuck fasteners or anything, but the pliers work well.  It's also much easier to use the knife blade with the design of the body, it feels more like a normal knife handle than a multitool :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 08:06:05 PM
I have to send mine in for it's 100,000 mile checkup.  I don't think I have used it for much than repeated flicking for hours on end!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 08:09:51 PM
Yeah, it definately has a high "fiddle factor"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 08:12:51 PM
Yup- much like the Crunch, I really can't carry it because I get nothing else done from playing with it all the time!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 09:16:24 PM
One day I need to get a Crunch so I can be doing the flip thing too.  :multi:

David

br Offline M.TEX

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 09:59:07 PM
 :ahhh  Another one.....

Where can I get one of like that ?  :pok:
M.TEX

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 10:37:44 PM
The SwitchPlier isn't made anymore, but it isn't too hard to find these days.  Just watch out for one that looks identical, but has STANLEY imprinted on it rather than SOG markings.  It is a cheap knockoff made in China for Stanley Tools.

Apparently, there have been less than stellar reviews of that one.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 12:21:49 AM
Yuck, stay away from that Stanley tool. Pictured below is mine, before and after the first time I handled it.  :angry:  It looks a lot like the SOG, except that the Stanley is a lot smaller, and is made from artificial metal substitute, instead of real metal.

* Stanley Automatic multi-tool.jpg (Filesize: 20.39 KB)

* Stanley Automatic multi-tool, after.jpg (Filesize: 19.69 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline zackhugh

Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 12:46:09 AM
I picked up one of these on eBay a little while back thanks to some comments about what a fun tool it is.  I don't think mine was used much but the lock tends not to fully engage after the button is depressed--it requires a little flick at the end so that the button is pushed out and the pliers are usable.  Anyone else have this problem?  ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 03:36:44 AM
That's a common problem- at least with the ones I have seen.  Try opening the handle before you press the button and you shouldn't have to flick it to get it to lock.

Def

Offline zackhugh

Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 10:12:08 AM
Works like a charm, thanks.  Kinda hard to have it always with the handle sticking out though.  It's too bad SOG didn't invest a little more and have that snap out like some of the good automatic knives.  Anyone for a D/A OTF plier multitool?  I know there are at least a coupla guys here, right?  ;D

Should I pick up a Recoil?  How's this compare to that one?  In the opening and also the tool selection, quality of materials, etc.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 03:58:13 PM
The Gerber Recoil is a whole different animal than the SwitchPlier. The main thing they have in common is the high fiddle factor...they tend to get played with more than they get used. Good conversation pieces both.

The weak link on the SwitchPlier is the pliers, which are not very strong. The best thing IMO is the compact size and the way it fits in my hand.

In comparison, the Recoil is much thicker than an ordinary plier multitool, but doesn't have very many functions to justify its size. The dual launching springs take up a lot of space. For all of its extra size, combined with fewer blade and driver functions, the Recoil pliers can be deployed only about a half-second quicker than an ordinary slide-action Gerber. It's not worth it. (Except for the fact that it is a fun gadget to play with!)  :)

Offline zackhugh

Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 02:25:10 AM
You had me at "high fiddle factor." :)

I was kinda curious about the differences but both the Recoil and Switchplier would be only for kicks, not serious use.  OK, back to eBay to search for a deal.  Easier to find Recoils than Switchpliers, at least presently.  That's what I need, another multi/SAK.  ::)  I probably bought a few more since finding this place and SOSAK, but not that many more than I might have anyway.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 02:44:08 AM
I think that the shape of the SwitchPlier is perhaps it's best feature.  I have dedicated screwdrivers that are not as comfortable to use as the SwitchPliers, but as Bob pointed out, you wouldn't want to use the pliers for anything too heavy.

You should also be careful when using the screwdrivers as it's pretty easy to accidentally disengage the lock when turning a long or difficult screw.

Def

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 03:34:08 AM
In my opinion, the weak point of the SwitchPlier is the handle.  I think if the handle was a bit sturdier, you'd be able to do "heavier" work.  The pliers themselves are pretty tough.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 03:55:39 AM
Maybe... I don't think I'd want to push any of it too hard really.  It's a lighter duty tool regardless though.  I wouldn't want to put it up against SwissTool, PowerLock or Surge type jobs, but for an occasional light duty kind of thing I think it performs quite well.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%