Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spyderco Byrd Wrench

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Re: Spyderco Byrd Wrench
Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 05:40:42 AM
The blade is CR13 steel.  I'm not extremely familiar with this steel.  I'm told it is a higher carbon version of 440.
_DSC0071 (Small).JPG
* _DSC0071 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 37.1 KB)
_DSC0072 (Small).JPG
* _DSC0072 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 33.16 KB)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 05:49:44 AM by Tom Munch »

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 05:44:45 AM
I'm fairly pleased with this tool even with the surface imperfections & quirky design.  I need to use it a bit to really find out how useful it is.  I've read where some folks consider it a novel playtoy & others get some serious work out of it. 

It has a good clip & fits nicely in my pocket even though the rasp could chew up your pants if you aren't careful when inserting & pulling it out of your pocket. 

It's no heavier than the Wave it was pictured with at the beginning of the review.

So far I'd give it a 4-4.5 out of 5.  I'm looking forward to getting to know this little Byrd.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 05:57:15 AM
After re-reading this I can see it's not the best review I've written - I'm a little tired after 4 gigs today, but I wanted to get it posted before the night was out since I promised I would.  On the other hand, if a picture is worth a thousand words there should be 70,000 words or so here.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 12:18:28 PM
Great review!  I'll get it transferred to the main site as soon as I get a chance...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 03:28:52 PM
I've finally gotten the hang of the macro lens & settings on my Nikon.  I wish I had a better flash now.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: February 16, 2007, 03:37:48 AM
Wonderful pictures and descriptions Tom. Don't sell yourself short, I think it was worth at least 75,000 words, maybe 80,000.   ;)

I was holding my SpydeRench in my hand as I read through your review. I see a few minor differences, like the Byrd logo instead of the Spyderco spider. I think the only significant differences are the magnetic bit driver (instead of the Spydie's detent driver) and the round rasp.

It seems like the rasp would be limited in it's usefullness, to put it politely. I suspect the old three-sided diamond file was deemed too expensive, but a fine-toothed file seems like it would have been more useful?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: February 16, 2007, 05:09:50 AM
I was thinking about the rasp too & was lamenting that it didn't have the diamond file.  As I thought of it for my uses I may end up using the rasp more often than a diamond file though, so I'll be okay with it.  I did think of modding a diamond sharpening rod to fit into the same spot though.

One question - does your SpyderWrench have a lot of friction in the outer of the two positions in the slip-joint of the pliers?  Mine binds quite a bit in that position, but I thought it might be to keep it from rattling.  In the inner position it moves very freely as you would expect.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: February 16, 2007, 11:13:13 PM
Mine swivels freely in both positions. However, I just am now noticing that the pivot T-stud on mine has been ground down (very slightly) around the edges. This work looks to have been done by hand, probably in order to allow it to move without binding in the round pockets.

Can you see any shiny spots on yours where it is rubbing?
t-stud.jpg
* t-stud.jpg (Filesize: 51.3 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 17, 2007, 12:25:22 AM
Mine binds quite a bit so there are definite shiny spots.  I'd be more likely to file the round part rather than the T-stud to make mine move more freely.  It doesn't bother me too much now though.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: February 17, 2007, 03:55:06 AM
I was thinking about the rasp too & was lamenting that it didn't have the diamond file.  As I thought of it for my uses I may end up using the rasp more often than a diamond file though, so I'll be okay with it.  I did think of modding a diamond sharpening rod to fit into the same spot though.

That would be interesting. Or how about maybe a firestarter ferro rod?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #40 on: February 17, 2007, 04:23:17 AM
Great photos, Tom!
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: February 17, 2007, 06:01:54 AM
Thanks, parnass.  I'm finally getting the hang of it.

Offline Icheatpeople

Reply #42 on: February 17, 2007, 10:15:35 PM
great pics, have to thake an closer look on that one. is the price out jet?

Offline kimjune01

• New User
Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 07:54:39 AM
I thought the new ones were made out of AUS-8 or somethin
am I wrong?

Offline supratentorial

Reply #44 on: August 30, 2007, 11:19:52 AM
I thought the new ones were made out of AUS-8 or somethin
am I wrong?
There's a SpydeRench and a ByrdRench.  Byrd is the "economy brand" of Spyderco.  I posted some photos of the SpydeRench here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,1995.0.html.  The construction of the two is quite similar but there are a few differences:

original SpydeRench: manufactured in USA, 440C blade steel, diamond file
new SpydeRench: manufactured in Taiwan, AUS-8 blade steel, diamond file
new ByrdRench: manufactured in China, 8Cr13Mov blade steel, rasp
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 11:23:39 AM by supratentorial »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85