Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question to anyone who has handled one of these backpacks..

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
As far as I can tell, there are three parts to these US issue backpacks...the pack itself, the frame, and the straps.  My question is:  Can the bag be used with just the straps attached, and leave the frame out altogether?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alice-Field-Pack-w-Straps-Frame-US-Army-Rucksack-GOOD-M_W0QQitemZ190131248309QQihZ009QQcategoryZ36110QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I might go on that camping trip I mentioned in another thread...I'd need a cheap, well made pack ;D
[

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Question to anyone who has handled one of these backpacks..
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:55:13 AM
In the description for that item it says "The medium pack is used to carry the existence load with or without a frame." So I would think that you could use it without the frame.

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 04:08:38 AM
ALICE was used in the Vietnam War by the Americans. It was a favorite, and the opinions on switching to the MOLLE are mixed. I personally like MOLLE better, it allows soldiers to customize their gear to suit them better.
[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 04:32:34 AM
I ended up getting a large ALICE pack, and from the looks of it, it's pretty customizable...lots of attachment points for diffrent pouches/sheaths/etc.

I cord wrapped the frame with about 50 feet of paracord, and all in all it seems to fit me well...much better than what I read in some reviews.  I should REALLY stuff it full to about 100 lbs then see if I think any diffrently :ahhh
[

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 06:13:12 PM
Being a grad of Marine Force Recon I can say I have had more miles with Ol  ALICE than I care to remember. It is customisable, and It will be bullett proof, that said your sides will take a beating. My advice is bring some old mattress pad you can cut up to pad the waist belt.
S

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD