Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Toothpick Question

meanx · 11 · 1404

za Offline meanx

A Toothpick Question
on: March 18, 2010, 06:14:00 PM
Does anybody know what's the significance of the numbers on the different toothpicks.

The earlier one on top has a 7 the middle one has a 13 and all the latest ones has a 23.

no I'm not bored I saw this by accident, really  :D
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: A Toothpick Question
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:15:19 PM
Not a clue mate ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 06:32:14 PM
one of my favourite parts of a SAK, shame my commander dont have them, but the Esquire makes up for it, im for ever getting stuff stuck in my teeth, sorry i cant help, im sure someone will know,

paul

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 07:50:52 PM
They are just random prime numbers :P
Sorry, no idea either, could be simply a serial number of the extrusion mold for quality control purposes.
-------
Alexei

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 07:56:37 PM
Well, if you add the numbers up it equals 43.  :think: Hmmmmmm..........

I was gonna say it is the answer to the ultimate question of life but that is 42 if I remember correctly.

za Offline meanx

Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:45:10 PM
They are just random prime numbers :P
Sorry, no idea either, could be simply a serial number of the extrusion mold for quality control purposes.

Oh well sounds the most likely,I build myself a new light box for some better shots and while playing around noticed the numbers and thought there was a "Did you know? The numbers on a Victorinox tooth pick stands for ....." answer.  :D
Rest is not idleness,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,

spam Offline radioz

Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:20:17 PM
Those are just mold marks.

When they injection mold plastic parts like that, the mold will have cavities for many parts at the same time. This way one cycle of the molding process produces a bunch of parts at once.

Each cavity of the mold usually has some type of identification mark (like a number) so they can tell which one a part came out of. That way if a bunch of toothpicks with '42' on them are messed up, they can go look at that cavity of the mold pick out the crud that plugged it up!

As to the different toothpick designs, I have not clue!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:30:46 PM
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 11:43:42 PM

When they injection mold plastic parts like that, the mold will have cavities for many parts at the same time. This way one cycle of the molding process produces a bunch of parts at once.

Each cavity of the mold usually has some type of identification mark (like a number) so they can tell which one a part came out of. That way if a bunch of toothpicks with '42' on them are messed up, they can go look at that cavity of the mold pick out the crud that plugged it up!

I'm sure you're right about cavity numbers Radioz. 
Here's a theory on the different designs: eventually molds simply wear out.  That is a good time to 'tweak' the design for example to get better pick retention or to take advantage of different material.
Also, no one mentioned the 2 circles visible in each part.  That is where the ejector pins actually push the part out of the mold while it is open.  If you look closely at injection molded parts they are more common than most people realize.

Sorry for rambling, I could go on forever...
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

za Offline meanx

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 04:55:00 AM

I'm sure you're right about cavity numbers Radioz.  
Here's a theory on the different designs: eventually molds simply wear out.  That is a good time to 'tweak' the design for example to get better pick retention or to take advantage of different material.
Also, no one mentioned the 2 circles visible in each part.  That is where the ejector pins actually push the part out of the mold while it is open.  If you look closely at injection molded parts they are more common than most people realize.

Sorry for rambling, I could go on forever...

The different designs is what I was busy working on according to http://victorinox.saam007.com/91mmtools.php there were 4 different shapes since 1902.
The top one in my picture came out of a 198? Ranger the middle one came out of a 1993 Spartan(it has 1993 edged on the blade) and the last one came out of a 2002/3 Recruit so its save to say that the middle one with the little "hook" was only made for a short period of time.
I am still missing that first one to complete my picture  :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:56:50 AM by meanx »
Rest is not idleness,

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 11:53:34 AM

Nice summary, and excellent photos.   :tu:
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%