Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sometimes I forget ……..

Guest · 15 · 660

Magic Bus

Sometimes I forget ……..
on: May 31, 2024, 12:42:24 PM
I received a couple of fishing rods today and they were delivered packed in a 1/4” thick cardboard 6 foot long. So, very well packed! The plastic end cap was held in by three thick staples so I tried a multi tool with needle nosed pliers first and it wasn’t too happy with the job. Next up a Swisstool and no problem, didn’t have to baby it, just twist and wrench and out popped those staples >:D.

Out came the fishing rods, many thanks Swisstool.

Next the cardboard tube need to be cut into pieces ready for recycling. First I tried a multi tool that had just a PE blade to offer which was really hard work. Back to the Swisstool with its serrated blade and no problem whatsoever, which just proves I had forgotten how great this tool is.
Do I really need anything else? I very much doubt it :drool:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 12:47:35 PM by Magic Bus »

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Sometimes I forget ……..
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 12:50:46 PM
   You did make one oopsie.  You should have kept the tube.  When you transport the rods, you need something sturdy to carry them in to prevent damage.  You cut up the perfect solution. 
    A piece of PVC pipe will work just as well.  Put on some end caps.  Keeps your rod tips from being broken.  Good fishing.  Best wishes.  G
 :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 12:59:23 PM
What rods did you get?

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 01:10:07 PM
You should have kept the tube.
:iagree: Those things aren't exactly to find (in my experience, anyway). And on occasion they're the best packaging option for something I'm shipping. Thick mailing tubes that check into the Farmer X homestead don't check out unless they're being packed with more stuff and sent through USPS again.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

Magic Bus

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2024, 01:13:22 PM
   You did make one oopsie.  You should have kept the tube.  When you transport the rods, you need something sturdy to carry them in to prevent damage.  You cut up the perfect solution. 
    A piece of PVC pipe will work just as well.  Put on some end caps.  Keeps your rod tips from being broken.  Good fishing.  Best wishes.  G
 :D
I’ve got safe transport covered already G but thanks for the suggestions  :tu:

Magic Bus

Reply #5 on: May 31, 2024, 01:16:11 PM
What rods did you get?
A pair of Daiwa Powermesh 2 1/4lb twelve foot rods. Now I’m retired I’m doing more carp fishing.

Magic Bus

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2024, 01:19:25 PM
:iagree: Those things aren't exactly to find (in my experience, anyway). And on occasion they're the best packaging option for something I'm shipping. Thick mailing tubes that check into the Farmer X homestead don't check out unless they're being packed with more stuff and sent through USPS again.
In our house such things usually end up as clutter. We declutterred twenty years worth when we moved house recently. Never again!! :facepalm: :D

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2024, 01:26:53 PM
We declutterred twenty years worth when we moved house recently.
I'm going through the first process in preparation for the second. In small quantities, mailing tubes fall into the category of "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it." The horde (hoard?) of knives and multis will have to be trimmed down some before the move.
USN 2000-2006

Culling of the knife and multi herds in progress...

If I pay five figures for something, it better have wings or a foundation!

Magic Bus

Reply #8 on: May 31, 2024, 01:42:47 PM
I'm going through the first process in preparation for the second. In small quantities, mailing tubes fall into the category of "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it." The horde (hoard?) of knives and multis will have to be trimmed down some before the move.
Got ya and makes sense. Good luck with it all mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2024, 04:04:12 PM
Next up a Swisstool and no problem, didn’t have to baby it, just twist and wrench and out popped those staples >:D.

many thanks Swisstool.

Back to the Swisstool with its serrated blade and no problem whatsoever, which just proves I had forgotten how great this tool is.
Do I really need anything else? I very much doubt it :drool:

Magicbus - I edited the quote substantially.  Hopefully I did not corrupt your intent.  If so, that was not my  intention.
I have two multi-tools.  One is a Swisstool with autograph.  The other is one given to me by the widow of one of my close friends who wanted me to have it.  The Swisstool is fantastic.  Never purchased any other multitool brand than SAK.

IMG_0355.jpg
* IMG_0355.jpg (Filesize: 372.75 KB)

Most coincidences are carefully planned.

Magic Bus

Reply #10 on: May 31, 2024, 04:53:50 PM
Magicbus - I edited the quote substantially.  Hopefully I did not corrupt your intent.  If so, that was not my  intention.
I have two multi-tools.  One is a Swisstool with autograph.  The other is one given to me by the widow of one of my close friends who wanted me to have it.  The Swisstool is fantastic.  Never purchased any other multitool brand than SAK.
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]
That’s fine Jeff, no problem at all. I suppose my point is that my experience today was a bit like coming home after being down the rabbit hole looking at other new and shiny things.  The rabbit hole is overrated for sure!  PS. Nice signed ST 👍
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 04:59:41 PM by Magic Bus »

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #11 on: May 31, 2024, 08:20:17 PM
I received tubes packaged like that regularly for job. Gate arms were enclosed.

Using the right tool is important. If using any needle nose pliers to twist those HD staples free you risk breaking the plier jaws.  I always found a flat blade screw driver a better option to pry the staple straight out.

And, for cutting 1/4” card board I don’t think a PE would do much other than scratch the tube.

A SAW blade on any of my MTs would better solution imho. A serrated blade only as last resort.

I do find my Spirit butter blade is an excellent knife blade!😉.   Do not own a SwissTool😢
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 31, 2024, 10:53:46 PM
Do I really need anything else?
Just a good belt and suspenders to keep your pants up while you’re hauling that beast around.
:-P

Magic Bus

Reply #13 on: May 31, 2024, 10:55:14 PM
Just a good belt and suspenders to keep your pants up while you’re hauling that beast around.
:-P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magic Bus

Reply #14 on: June 01, 2024, 07:09:43 AM

I received tubes packaged like that regularly for job. Gate arms were enclosed.

Using the right tool is important. If using any needle nose pliers to twist those HD staples free you risk breaking the plier jaws.  I always found a flat blade screw driver a better option to pry the staple straight out.

And, for cutting 1/4” card board I don’t think a PE would do much other than scratch the tube.

A SAW blade on any of my MTs would better solution imho. A serrated blade only as last resort.

I do find my Spirit butter blade is an excellent knife blade!😉.   Do not own a SwissTool😢

Good advice and thankyou. I admit my approach to the job wasn’t very considered as I just wanted to get to my new rods   :whistle: However, the Vic serrations are very good and also very easy to sharpen when needed  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%