Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Membership To The SAK Club

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: My Membership To The SAK Club
Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 11:59:26 PM
I'm in discussions with my dealer about the Executive  :ahhh  :ahhh

I've often drooled over the beast that is the Swiss Champ and am sure I'll have one reasonably soon :D

I would love the even bigger ones like the XLT, XAVT and the XXLT :tu:

The XLT, XXLT and XAVT are wonderful show pieces but they really are too big to use; in my opinion anyway.  Though Victorinox do make a belt pouch for the XLT.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 12:05:10 AM
Good luck in trying to find an XXLT. One was on eBay not that long ago, but at twice the price of the XAVT, I am unsure it sold. The XLT is very usable. I wouldn't go any larger though. In fact, the WorkChamp XL is about the size of a full size folding plier style MT. So I consider that one quite useable as well for an EDC.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 12:10:15 AM
The price of the 'X range' excludes me totally  :-\

If I ever did happen upon one it totally be a queen; sorry Ben  :-[

Offline Kmarr

Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 01:09:04 AM
Go big or go home. EDC a Wenger giant tool!!
 :D

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 02:43:55 AM
Instead of the Swiss Champ you might want to consider the Swiss Champion (fore runner to the Champ) minus the pliers. :cheers:

For years I carried celluloid scale saks now since I went alox the rest just don't feel the same.    Damn you Grant / Def :bnghd:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 02:47:09 AM
Dan. Get your arse to the meet and I'll cut you an excellent deal on a used Swisschamp  :pok:
I used to come here a lot.

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 01:10:14 PM
Dan. Get your arse to the meet and I'll cut you an excellent deal on a used Swisschamp  :pok:

:cry: :cry: You know I'd love to but sadly it's not going to work this time around  :-\

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 07:03:33 PM
I am not trying to incite a riot amongst Mods, but what is the appeal of the farmer over any other ALOX model?  Don't get me wrong, I have spent many hours drooling over a blue farmer and wishing I could order it, but to be honest a soldier might seem more practical.  Do you really use the saw that much?  I have a couple of Vic's with saws, but I really don't use them that often, and I can only foresee their use on a camping trip or hike.

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 07:08:03 PM
I am not trying to incite a riot amongst Mods, but what is the appeal of the farmer over any other ALOX model?  Don't get me wrong, I have spent many hours drooling over a blue farmer and wishing I could order it, but to be honest a soldier might seem more practical.  Do you really use the saw that much?  I have a couple of Vic's with saws, but I really don't use them that often, and I can only foresee their use on a camping trip or hike.

For me it's more for my money  :tu: I think I would rather have it than not :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #39 on: March 21, 2010, 07:08:30 PM
The Farmer has cult status with a few members.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 07:10:44 PM

For me it's more for my money  :tu: I think I would rather have it than not :D
Shh, don't tell Mike, but I am going to get a Farmer at some point..  ;)

:D :D

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #41 on: March 21, 2010, 07:13:46 PM
:)  I'm sure Mike will have something to say about the saw :D but for me, the Pioneer, Farmer, and Soldier are all pretty solid.  Really any of them would be superb.  I suppose the small challenge of finding a blue farmer makes it a little more desirable, but they are just great all around knives.  Even if you don't use the saw, that layer gives a little extra weight and thickness to it that makes it so nice to use.  And, of course, there is the MT.org maxim, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  It doesn't really detract from the knife at all so why not.  I have had a pioneer and a solider and aside from just having 2 SAK's, I still preferred the farmer.  I gave the other two away as presents to two people who really loved and appreciated them.  Like I said, i can't really explain it other than I like the thickness of the farmer compared with the other two and I have used the saw quite a bit more than I thought.  But you are correct, the soldier or pioneer would be just as useful.  It's a personal kind of thing I think. :)  
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 07:18:30 PM
:)  I'm sure Mike will have something to say about the saw :D but for me, the Pioneer, Farmer, and Soldier are all pretty solid.  Really any of them would be superb.  I suppose the small challenge of finding a blue farmer makes it a little more desirable, but they are just great all around knives.  Even if you don't use the saw, that layer gives a little extra weight and thickness to it that makes it so nice to use.  And, of course, there is the MT.org maxim, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  It doesn't really detract from the knife at all so why not.  I have had a pioneer and a solider and aside from just having 2 SAK's, I still preferred the farmer.  I gave the other two away as presents to two people who really loved and appreciated them.  Like I said, i can't really explain it other than I like the thickness of the farmer compared with the other two and I have used the saw quite a bit more than I thought.  But you are correct, the soldier or pioneer would be just as useful.  It's a personal kind of thing I think. :)  

I have had a soldier and I still have a pioneer rancher, but I really have been eye-ing the farmer for a while now.  I just wasn't sure why EVERYbody likes them so much!  I don't really care for the Pioneer I have, the hooked blade doesn't really do it for me.  I may trade it off sometime for another soldier or a farmer.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 11:51:18 PM
Ya can't go wrong with any Alox . I use an E+ for work , a Farmer for outdoors , and a Soldier or Pioneer for general EDC . They are structurally impecable . After Alox , Cellidor feels cheap . I only wish they had more models .

BTW, the Compact is great , I can't seem to keep one , everytime I get one , I end up giving it to some benighted SAKless soul ( last one being my nephew ) .

I only wish they would make the Alox range with type III hard Anno. and a pocket clip .

Chris

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #44 on: March 22, 2010, 04:10:48 AM
Ya can't go wrong with any Alox . I use an E+ for work , a Farmer for outdoors , and a Soldier or Pioneer for general EDC . They are structurally impecable . After Alox , Cellidor feels cheap . I only wish they had more models .

BTW, the Compact is great , I can't seem to keep one , everytime I get one , I end up giving it to some benighted SAKless soul ( last one being my nephew ) .

I only wish they would make the Alox range with type III hard Anno. and a pocket clip .

Chris

I modded a soldier with a pocket clip once.  It turned out ok, but the ALOX is a little soft for me to have full confidence in the mounting screws.  I feel that it would strip out with a little pressure.  Plus, due to the placement of the pins, you are forced to put most clips in the middle of the knife, which makes them sit too high in the pocket. 

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: March 22, 2010, 09:27:47 AM
Saw these Ireland SAK's on the this website :D

http://www.peterson.ie/brands/victorinox-swiss-army-knives/irish-souvenir-knives.html He's actually the Leatherman distributor for Ireland.

Might call in next time I'm south of the border  :cheers:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #46 on: March 22, 2010, 09:52:43 AM
Your hooked mate :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #47 on: March 22, 2010, 09:55:33 AM
Well I do use the saw a fair bit both at work and play so it's a must have for me :)

But beyond that, there much more comfortable in the hand thanks to the extra layer :) Certainly I find that to be the case over my Soldier and Si' :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: March 30, 2010, 09:04:42 PM
Following in Paul's footsteps I thought I'd post up my small but growing SAK collection  :tu:

:oops: How did he get in there? :D 

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: March 30, 2010, 09:29:56 PM
Some of those look a little familiar  :think: :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #50 on: March 30, 2010, 09:32:24 PM
I like the yellow one
I used to come here a lot.

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: March 30, 2010, 09:40:21 PM
Some of those look a little familiar  :think: :D

Do you think so?  :think:

All but one  :D

I like the yellow one (Image removed from quote.)
I think it's a limited edition LAK [Leatherman Army Knife]  :tu:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: March 30, 2010, 09:46:19 PM
Looks great Dan... :tu: Specially the yellow one..  ;)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 09:47:00 PM
Hve i got enough to be in the club  :ahhh

Paul

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: March 30, 2010, 09:54:52 PM
We'll squeeze you in ;)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: March 30, 2010, 09:55:22 PM
We'll squeeze you in ;)

:ahhh   :cheers:  i will add more neil  :D

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: March 30, 2010, 10:12:14 PM
We'll squeeze you in ;)

:ahhh   :cheers:  i will add more neil   :D
SAK Addict...  :pok: :pok:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: March 30, 2010, 10:18:48 PM
We'll squeeze you in ;)

:ahhh   :cheers:  i will add more neil   :D
SAK Addict...  :pok: :pok:

:D had to happen  :ahhh

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #58 on: March 30, 2010, 11:35:57 PM

Here is the collection so far.  Some are missing, as two mods are incomplete, and two knives are in the mail. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%