Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger reconsideration?

Offline zackhugh

Wenger reconsideration?
on: July 18, 2007, 10:05:34 PM
I recently picked up an Evogrip from Felinevet (thanks, Tim!) and I have to say I'm more and more impressed each time I handle it.  Over the years I've been a stalwart Victorinox user and it wasn't until recently that I even owned a Wenger.  Many years ago I handled a Wenger at a local gun show and was less than thrilled with the fit and finish.  But after obtaining a Swissclipper and a Porsche Design Multi, along with this new Evogrip, I have changed my thinking.  There is a nice tool selection complementary to the Victorinox SAKs.

I think Tim mentioned in a post somewhere that the Wenger quality is improved and I would agree, although my opinion is based on limited exposure.  Still, the lockup on the knife is nice and tight and all the tools neatly snap in and out.  Of course this now means collecting from two brands instead of only one!

Oh, I also didn't realize the Wengers were shorter than the Vics.  Not an issue, just a curiosity.  I must have read on SOSAK about the dimensions but until you actually see and handle a knife/tool measurements are really just an abstraction.

Anyone else like the "new" (improved?) Wengers? 

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Wenger reconsideration?
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:12:48 PM
I totally agree the quality has improved a great deal since vic took them over, and they always were tool inivators, and i,m happy to see they still are :)

18 months ago i had,nt even handled a wenger before, then def sent me a esquire and since then i,ve bought 6 ::)

so if something can make me part from my meagre earnings it must be good :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:49:33 PM
Wengers aren't necessarily shorter than Vics... there are different size ranges for the models:

Wenger:

63mm
85mm
120mm

Victorinox

58mm
74mm
84mm
91mm
100mm
111mm

There are a few more, but these are the standard sizes still in production.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline zackhugh

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 02:30:20 AM
Oops, sorry to over-generalize.  I was just surprised that my 91 mm Champion was longer than the 85 mm Evogrip since I didn't think to check on that before I bought it.  Like I said, not a problem, but interesting.  I think I'll be picking up some more Wengers before long.  Never thought that would happen.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 03:25:37 AM
I just acquired a Ranger 172 Gardener from Tim. It has the new contoured handle scales on it that Wenger just started using on the "NewRangers" this year. They fit my hand perfectly. I'm also impressed with the mechanics of the push-button liner lock and the big folding scissors. Both work well.

SAKWiki link: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=NewRanger+172+Gardener

I no longer percieve Wenger as having any disadvantage in quality as compared to Victorinox.  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 03:36:51 AM
I never considered them to be inferior to Victorinox.  They are different knives.  Victorinox may have better fit and finish, but Wenger has more innovative and advanced designs.  They have been offering locking blades on their "standard" (85mm) sized knives for years, and in addition, the screwdrivers lock open under pressure so they don't fold on your hands.  The scissors and pliers use the knife's backspring instead of an easily broken leaf spring, the scissors are self sharpening, and the pliers are slip jointed.  See here how two comparable models stack up:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=175&Itemid=35

I have had a Wenger Adventurer for about ten years now, and it's seen heavy use.  It's virtually identical to a Victorinox Climber except that it has the locking implements, better scissors and a nail file instead of the small blade.  It's not only never failed me, but it's also never given me the idea that it was any lesser than a Victorinox.

And, if you have to be second to anyone, Victorinox is a good company to have beat you.  After all, coming in second to them still puts you miles ahead of third place!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 09:49:58 AM
And, if you have to be second to anyone, Victorinox is a good company to have beat you.  After all, coming in second to them still puts you miles ahead of third place!

Def
very true mate :)

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 10:18:07 AM
I've carried a wenger Standard Issue for around six years and have had no problems....a truly great knife, and I'd really like to get my hands on an alinghi whenever I can get ahold of some fundage... ;)
"

Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 01:04:04 PM
I've carried a wenger Standard Issue for around six years and have had no problems....a truly great knife, and I'd really like to get my hands on an alinghi whenever I can get ahold of some fundage... ;)
they are a tough old bird, arnt they :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 01:53:05 PM
Yeah, the SI's are tough.  When folks think military knives nowadays it conjures up images of bayonets or hollow handled Rambo-esque sawbacks, and the Swiss Army stuff makes people think of Boy Scouts.  They just don't realize that this is actually MIL SPEC stuff, and issued to actual soldiers for use in military zones and for military purposes.

Def

Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 02:52:49 PM
Yeah, the SI's are tough.  When folks think military knives nowadays it conjures up images of bayonets or hollow handled Rambo-esque sawbacks, and the Swiss Army stuff makes people think of Boy Scouts.  They just don't realize that this is actually MIL SPEC stuff, and issued to actual soldiers for use in military zones and for military purposes.

Def
and i,ve got to say out of all the military folders i,ve handled, the swiss military ones are by far and away the finest.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 03:08:31 PM
I couldn't agree more.  And, as for non-military issue models, they are far and away the finest crafted slippies out there too. 

Sure you can't mount them to a steam hammer and ram them through 1/4 inch treadplate (one tactical fixed blade ad claimed they could do that once) but then, why the heck would you want to?

The SwissGrip is another Wenger that is worth looking into.  It's a big, solid tool that outclasses any other multitool pliers on the market and has most of the important features I look for on a tool.  Except of course for the lack of scissors, but the hex driver adapter and slot in the handle is fantastic, the patented pressure locking screwdrivers, the folding machete with liner lock... you'll never say anything bad about Wenger again if you wrapped your mitts around one of those!

Def

Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 06:37:16 PM
i am seriously tempted to get one of the smaller swissgrips, but i,m a little skint at the moment (somethings never change ::))

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 07:58:55 PM
The small ones (MiniGrip or PocketGrip) are great, but I personally feel the bigger one (SwissGrip or WengerGrip) is a much better tool.

Def

Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 08:43:47 PM
The small ones (MiniGrip or PocketGrip) are great, but I personally feel the bigger one (SwissGrip or WengerGrip) is a much better tool.

Def
no doubt it is better, but its the legal aspect that makes me appreciate the smaller ones.

Offline zackhugh

Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 09:25:19 PM
I admit I was biased against Wengers until recently, but no more!  The bad news is that it means collecting another brand.  :P

I am also intrigued by the Wenger Alinghi and Pocketgrip 799.  We'll see about the SwissGrip if I can find one cheap(er) somewhere.

Hey, what about the old issue Soldiers?  I also got my hands on one (Thanks again, Tim!).  Wow!  What a fantastic knife.  The blade is still sharp and if it weren't for some stubborn rust/grit near the pivot of the main blade that makes it excessively hard to open, this knife could be deployed tomorrow for field use.  Amazing these Swiss knifemakers!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 01:54:47 AM
The old Soldier models are pretty cool.  Folks much have been pretty upset when they changed over to ALOX since the old ones are much heavier duty feeling than the new ones.  Which is pretty cool because the ALOX is pretty tough on it's own.

Def

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 03:38:06 AM
I recently picked up an Evogrip from Felinevet (thanks, Tim!) and I have to say I'm more and more impressed each time I handle it.  Over the years I've been a stalwart Victorinox user and it wasn't until recently that I even owned a Wenger.  Many years ago I handled a Wenger at a local gun show and was less than thrilled with the fit and finish.  But after obtaining a Swissclipper and a Porsche Design Multi, along with this new Evogrip, I have changed my thinking.  There is a nice tool selection complementary to the Victorinox SAKs.

I think Tim mentioned in a post somewhere that the Wenger quality is improved and I would agree, although my opinion is based on limited exposure.  Still, the lockup on the knife is nice and tight and all the tools neatly snap in and out.  Of course this now means collecting from two brands instead of only one!

Oh, I also didn't realize the Wengers were shorter than the Vics.  Not an issue, just a curiosity.  I must have read on SOSAK about the dimensions but until you actually see and handle a knife/tool measurements are really just an abstraction.

Anyone else like the "new" (improved?) Wengers? 

Don't feel alone.  I felt the same way too!!
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 02:40:37 AM
Wenger is alright. But there is nothing I like more than a good Victorinox (knife-wise).
[

Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 01:45:57 PM
i still want the wenger with the toilet roll holder ;D ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 01:53:08 PM
Good luck finding one- there were only 400-500 made for a private company.  It's one of my favorites!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 02:04:52 PM
i still want the wenger with the toilet roll holder ;D ;D

Maybe someday they will bring out a one-hand-opening toilet roll holder? Y'know, for emergencies..... :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 02:29:27 PM
What?
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 02:48:38 PM
The Wenger toilet paper SAK is August's SAK of the Month.  You'll see it soon!

Def

Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 02:49:32 PM

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 05:22:48 PM
What?
It,ll be worth the wait! :)
And it came with it's own itty-bitty roll of Charmin;refills are a bear to find though.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 12:05:19 AM
In case anyone is still interested, here is the Toilet Paper SAK:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=194&Itemid=35

It doesn't officially go public until tomorrow, but I thought you guys might like to see it first since you've been waiting!

Def

Offline zackhugh

Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 09:30:56 PM
Cool knife.  O0  Nice one for the collection.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 09:57:36 PM
Yup- it's unfortunately added one more as-yet unfulfilled ambition to my life.  Before I pass on, it's my goal to go to Switzerland and steal a large roll of paper towel to add to the collection!

Def

Offline zackhugh

Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 10:22:03 PM
 ;D

That's OK.  It might be the only thing one could afford to bring back after paying for the twin pilgrimage to Ibach and Delemont.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%