Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

No new toys for a while now

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
No new toys for a while now
on: July 19, 2007, 12:40:13 AM
Well, here it is- it may have seen better days, but she's all mine.  This Northwest Kayaks Synergy may have seen better days, but when it was new it went for about $3 grand.  I picked it up today for a mere $275, which blew my toy budget out the window for a while.

Of course it's gonna need some cleaning up and so on, but this 17' touring kayak has some life left in her, although I don't have much myself after carrying her home by hand!  It's seaworthy now, but I figure I'll still put some time and energy into cleaning and fixing her up, and maybe sell her for several times what I paid for her by the end of the year, or maybe next spring.

Feel free to take this opportunity to laugh at me for wasting money and energy on this beat up hunk of crap!

Def

* Synergy.JPG (Filesize: 46.1 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Re: No new toys for a while now
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 12:50:30 AM
Sounds like a good buy! I know nothing about Kayaks etc, but it looks like a good project and sounds like you'll enjoy it. And about the tools, remember... absense make the heart grow fonder!  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 01:41:44 AM
I thought it was absinthe makes the heart grow fonder? :P

Theriothly, I'll probably end up thelling or trading a few thingth to continue getting new toolth. I think thatth why I am broke motht of the time.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 03:57:39 AM
WOW! That thing looks sweet! What's wrong with it? It doesn't look all that bad in your photo.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 04:11:07 AM
Doesn't look like a hunk of crap to me..you did good! If Dunc was able to get online,he'd be giving you a couple of these  :pok: to complement your new toy with a Skipper or Helmsman.Now you've got even more reason to buy SAKS ;D
I

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 08:28:54 AM
Congratulations Def.  Looks like you have nice new toy. Hope you enjoy it.
"

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 01:08:08 PM
looks like it,s gotta a lot of charicter mate, i,d say it was a good buy :)

just don,t re-name it titanic and you,ll be fine ;D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 01:59:30 PM
Here's one of the rough spots/patch jobs that's been done on it.  There are a few, and the whole thing is scratched up pretty good as you can see from the other picture.  It's going to be a bit of effort to get it looking new again- I'm going to sand and smooth down the old patches, re-patch where I have to and eventually paint it again.  I'm also going to get some neoprene or rubber strip to run around the boat where that black band is now.  That should help make it look better and protect it a little more after all the work is done.

Unfortunately the rudder is mangled beyond repair and I'll have to get a new one eventually.  That'll be only another $250 or so... but I think I'd probably be able to get close to $1,000 for it if I put the effort into it, and if I decide to sell it after I do all this work on it!

Anyone recommend a good marine fiberglass paint? :D

Def

* Synergy01.JPG (Filesize: 70.66 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 03:25:45 PM
I've been doing a little research and even contacted the company that made it.  They do repairs (according to their website) and are located a convenient 4,000 miles from here, so we won't be going that route!

I am hoping they will have a list of materials that are suggested, and maybe a few spare parts to send out in exchange for a documentation of the repair process.  For the most part, there are only a few of the little bits and cleats that need to be replaced, and of course the seat.  I will also probably have to replace the bungee and tie down cords on it as they'll probably get messed up when I remove them to do the body and paintwork.

The rubber seals on the storage areas are virtually brand new, with no evidence of corrosion, cracking etc.  The fiberglass isn't oxidized any noticeable amount, so my guess is that this boat has been used hard, but stored indoors and reasonably well maintained.  My guess is that it's got a LOT of miles under it, which is a good thing, because it means that someone paid attention to it rather than picking it up at a yard sale and ignoring it in the backyard for years.

It looks like I am going to spend much more in parts than I did for the boat itself!  The rudder looks like about $250 (just for a base model- dunno what the one on it would cost), and anywhere up to the same amount for a seat.  I found a nice professional racing seat for about $250, but I doubt I'll get something that fancy.  The company that made the boat (NorthWest Kayaks of Redmond Washington) says they have some new and improved replacement seats available but they aren't listed on their website so hopefully they will send me some more info on that as well.

Then, there's the operational equipment that I need.  I still need to pick up a PFD, throw bag and paddles just to get the thing wet.  Optionally, I also need a skirt for it, and a storage cover for the winter months and/or when I am not using it would be nice too.  And a roof rack for the car, but I am looking at an inflatable one, so that shouldn't be too bad.

All told, to get an entry level kayak from my local 'yak dealer, with all the equipment, I was looking at about $960.  I figure I'll end up with significantly les sthan that into this one when it's done, and have a much nicer boat. 

This is the one that the dealer was offering:
http://www.aquafusion.com/images/af_breeze.pdf

This is what I got:
http://www.nwkayaks.com/product.asp?Product_Id=48283&d_Id=6894&l1=6894&l2=

And, for a mere $325 less (not including taxes) I might add!  Little bit of a difference I think....  :cheers:

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 07:18:07 PM
Nice one Def  ;D Now get a vic skipper  :pok: :pok: Well Ive been online for a few mins and it hasnt crashed yet . still havent been able to get it in for repair yet so I'm busy catching up before everything goes pear shape .well done on your purchase  ;D Hope you will take a few pics along the way and perhaps some watery ones when you get it out on the water .

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 08:01:38 PM
I have a Helmsman, but to be honest, I am thinking something a little brighter colored for use on and around the water.  The blue is nice, but I am thinking either the StayGlo scales or some custom dayglo orange might be best.

Of course a nice lanyard will be utmost important too.

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 11:52:40 PM
Def I know this goes a little against the grain with it not being a SAK or multitool but a Spyderco Atlantic Salt paired with your Swisstool RS may offer an awsome combo  ;)

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 01:45:23 AM
I thought about it- either the Salt or the orange handled Spyderco Rescue model, but then I'm not buying new toys for a while...

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 04:08:51 AM
is that the worlds smallest submarine? looks like it can dive with the best of them!  :pok:
Yabba dabba doo!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 04:19:53 AM
Yeah- it just doesn't surface very well! :P

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 10:52:18 PM
Well I have all the bits and pieces now.  I got my paddles today, I got the PFD a few days ago, I got the emergency kit and so on.  The only thing I need now is a little set of wheels to get it down to the water.

Otherwise, I'm all set, which is good because this last week was pretty nice boating weather and here I was stuck on land!  Of course they are calling for rain for the next few days, so I don't know how much I'd actually get out anyway.

Def

Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 11:08:43 PM
Well I have all the bits and pieces now.  I got my paddles today, I got the PFD a few days ago, I got the emergency kit and so on.  The only thing I need now is a little set of wheels to get it down to the water.

Otherwise, I'm all set, which is good because this last week was pretty nice boating weather and here I was stuck on land!  Of course they are calling for rain for the next few days, so I don't know how much I'd actually get out anyway.

Def
can,t you portage it like the old voyageurs did, while sing ''alluetta'' on top of you voice ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 11:11:21 PM
Actually, the Voyageurs didn't sing Alouette... they had their own songs, which I learned as a kid in Manitoba, during the Festivale Du Voyageur every year!

As for portaging, it's much easier in a canoe than a kayak- the canoe is wide open so once you have it on your head, you can still see where you are going.  With a kayak, your head is inside the boat and all you can see is straight down and boat hull.

Def

Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 11:22:58 PM
Actually, the Voyageurs didn't sing Alouette... they had their own songs, which I learned as a kid in Manitoba, during the Festivale Du Voyageur every year!

As for portaging, it's much easier in a canoe than a kayak- the canoe is wide open so once you have it on your head, you can still see where you are going.  With a kayak, your head is inside the boat and all you can see is straight down and boat hull.

Def
so your not impressed by my nautical knowledge then ;D

thinking about it, seeing where your going would be a bit of a bugger ;D

could'nt you adapt something like a golfing trolley to carry your kayak?

I know it,s a bit heath-robinson but it,ll be cheap, plus the big wheels on the trolly might be fairly resistant to bogging down in marshy ground,  ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 11:43:07 PM
There are kayak carts available.  In fact, I'll be shopping for one locally in the next few days, but I've got my eye on one in the LL Bean catalogue.  Most of them disassemble and fit nicely inside one of the storage hatches.  Unfortunately, most of them are also well over $100!

Def

Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 11:59:45 PM
There are kayak carts available.  In fact, I'll be shopping for one locally in the next few days, but I've got my eye on one in the LL Bean catalogue.  Most of them disassemble and fit nicely inside one of the storage hatches.  Unfortunately, most of them are also well over $100!

Def
that,s a bit steep for a glorified trolley :o

well good luck geezer, i hope it end,s better than the mythtanic, from mythbusters :grin: although if kari was the one to give you mouth to mouth i,d risk drowning ;) ;) >:D

night fella

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 01:44:27 AM
Seems like you cobble something together from a couple used bicycle wheels and an old shopping cart.

C'mon, be creative!  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 02:00:11 AM
I just got back and boy are my arms tired!

From my place to the opposite end of the lake is about 1 and a half kilometers (or 1 mile for those of you that don't speak metric!) and of course I still had to come back home!  Round trip, 3 kms, in about 25 minutes.  Not bad for my first time out, but pictures speak louder than words!

Damn good time, and in the one picture I am trying to wipe moisture from the 'stache, not pickin my nose!  In the one where I am leaning on the dock, you can sort of see the bridge I was aiming for on the opposite side of the lake, on the far right.  It's kind of an orange-y color.

Def

* kayak004.JPG (Filesize: 35.86 KB)

* kayak007.JPG (Filesize: 33.81 KB)

* kayak015.JPG (Filesize: 40.37 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 02:17:46 AM
Man that looks like fun!  :)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 10:19:40 AM
Great pics Def  ;D  Looks like alot of fun . kayaks  looking really good too .

Dunc

Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 10:24:27 AM
seriously envious mate, are you sure your not picking your hooter ??? ;D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 12:35:03 PM

That reminds me of another use for the multi-purpose hook.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 12:37:14 PM
I like the SOG Pocket Power Plier for that since it has the compound leverage.  :pok:

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 03:35:03 PM
That's it- I quit....

I carried the darned thing down to the water again today, pushed myself on the water then had trouble bringing it home.  I only do the same stupid thing so many times before I stop!

Gonna get me a dolly before I try it again....

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 04:22:49 PM
 Dang, I should've packed up some spare Avaya rims,to keep George company,on the trip :cheers:
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD