Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need a new light

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Need a new light
on: August 12, 2007, 03:44:56 PM
As many of you saw from the SAKtivity pic I posted this weekend, I have been taking the Surefire 3P with me in my Pelican box when I go kayaking because it's pretty well exactly the right size- I don't know if Pelican made the box with Surefire in mind or the other way around, but it's spot on.

Unfortunately I think I may have to carry another light instead of this one- the exposed tail switch seems like it might be kind of awkward and turn the light on if the box is on it's side.  Given how hot the lamp gets and how expensive the batteries are ($8-12 each, versus the set of AA's I bought at Canadian Tire yesterday- 100 for $13) I really don't want to have to have to worry about it either being dead when I need it, melting the rubber liner in my Pelican or both, I'm thinking I may have to look at a new light.

At the outfitters yesterday I saw the Gerber Infinity for the first time in person, and I think it may be a very serious contender for being my new light.  I hear good things about it, it's inexpensive ($20 most places online I think) and it's got a nice aluminum body.  My only question really is, how waterproof/resistant is it?

It's mandatory for all watercraft in my area to carry a flashlight, and I do have a FOX 40 emergency kit with one in it, but it's a pretty cheap one- one of the cheap dollar store lights wearing a rubber outfit that gets all twisted when you try and close it after putting new batteries in.  Also, as a cheap incandescent light, I'm certain the batteries will be dead whenever I need it, and even if they aren't, it's not all that bright anyway.  I keep it in the boat just in case, but that's mostly because I'd rather no one saw me with it!

Def

* Essentials.JPG (Filesize: 69.41 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: Need a new light
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 04:45:53 PM
Are you trying to find something around the same size as the Surefire?

If size isn't too much of an issue.  I would strongly recommend a Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon.  They're fairly inexpensive (around $30), run off 4 AA's, and are pretty indestructable.

Here's a review of the Gerber Infinity Ultra.  Is this the one you were looking at?

Also, if you just want a cheap 1AA light.  I'd recommend the River Rock 1AA Luxeon from Target.  Here are some pictures of it.  It would be a step down in output from your SF, but it's a solid little light.

After that... ugh, there are hundreds of little lights out there.  If you want to go cutting edge, you can get a Fenix with a CREE :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 05:38:29 PM
Funny you should mention that- My Fenix is being outfitted with a better LED now!

I want to stay around the same size, and since I really don't kayak at night (although there may be a camping trip in my future) I don't really need anything too significant. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 06:25:18 PM
As many of you saw from the SAKtivity pic I posted this weekend, I have been taking the Surefire 3P with me in my Pelican box when I go kayaking because it's pretty well exactly the right size- I don't know if Pelican made the box with Surefire in mind or the other way around, but it's spot on.

Unfortunately I think I may have to carry another light instead of this one- the exposed tail switch seems like it might be kind of awkward and turn the light on if the box is on it's side.  Given how hot the lamp gets and how expensive the batteries are ($8-12 each,

1. Buy a recessed push button ( clicky ) tail cap for the Surefire site

2. Buy your CR123A batteries at Battery Station for $1.00 - register at Candle Power Forum to get this special price.
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 04:00:43 AM
I think Battery Station has the same offer to Knifeforums members, don't they?

Plus they have an additional charge for shipping to Canada which is kind of a pain in the butt.

Def

Offline SoDak

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 05:24:22 PM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 02:51:16 AM
Nice- and in my price range!

I like the bright colors too, but I'm not a fan of plastic bodies.

Def

Offline SoDak

Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 04:38:50 AM
Nice- and in my price range!

I like the bright colors too, but I'm not a fan of plastic bodies.

Def

Aside from not using certain chemicals around it (like aerosols) I haven't encountered any problems with the plastic on the blast's big brother the rage. As to the toughness I haven't had any trouble and our dog chewed on my brothers blast some and it was still fine.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%