Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NKP's and Waves

Ging · 8 · 2331

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
NKP's and Waves
on: October 01, 2006, 03:56:40 PM
I am thinking about getting a bigger multitool than my Juice I have already and I am thinking about getting a Wave.  One worry I have about is that it is not very NKP friendly due to the largish blade.  I was thinking of carrying a Vic classic when I am around real sheeple but I don't want the Wave to scare other 'normal' NKP's.

What are your experience's with people and blades on multitools?  And is there any tools that are better around NKP's?
E

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: NKP's and Waves
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 04:02:11 PM
The local airpoert here feels that Waves are more sheeple friendly than SAKs so they issued Waves to all the maintenance staff who regularily carried a SAK.  I think Multis in general are reasonably NKP friendly, but the one handed opening option of some of LM's recent offerings can dredge up switchblade fantasies that NKP are terrified of.  It's the same with any one handed opening tactical knives.  People see the speed and ease of opening a knife and suddenly you are an executioner, skilled with a blade, waiting for your next victim to dispatch.
If you need a larger tool but are that concerned about non knife and non tool people, maybe try going with something like a SOG ParaTool, a Victorinox Spirit or something else in that catagory without the OH feature.  It might be a pain in the butt, but it sure beats someone complaining to your boss or the police.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 04:11:19 PM
If you need a larger tool but are that concerned about non knife and non tool people, maybe try going with something like a SOG ParaTool, a Victorinox Spirit or something else in that catagory without the OH feature.  It might be a pain in the butt, but it sure beats someone complaining to your boss or the police.
Def
That was what I was thinking Def, do you think opening a OH blade two handed might be less scary, I would like to have OH opening  ;)
E

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 04:19:12 PM
Personally my thoughts are get what you want and to Hades with the thoughts and phobias of others.  If you keep coddling them they will never get used to it and never move on.  Then the next bunch will be that much more sheltered....

But, I also understand that isn't always an option, so do what you have to.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 04:23:36 PM
Personally my thoughts are get what you want
I think that is want I will do, I also think that carrying the Wave with its clip would be a good 'concealed' way to carry a large multi.  Using a sheath it would be very obvious that you are carrying (he he it sound like I am carry a gun  :D)
E

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 05:50:37 PM
I EDC my Swisstool on a sheath on my belt , concealed by a T-shirt or jacket but if its not concealed then I put it in my pocket . I dont frequent night clubs or go to city's ( unless i have too ) . At 34 years of age I dont look like a local yobbo with a hoodie and baseball cap and its very unlikely I will get searched . If I was I would explain I am a crew member of a lifeboat on call ( I hope they would except that as a good reason to carry a locking blade ) .I dont know how old you are Ging or what part of the UK you live in but these two factors can make a big difference in what you EDC . If you live in the countryside you can get away with alot more .

Dunc

Offline Ging

• Skint Brit!!
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 08:30:55 PM
I dont know how old you are Ging or what part of the UK you live in
I am 19 at Nottingham Uni.  I was not planing on EDC a Wave all the time, as it would be very legal and I am not the best age to be found with a knife, I was going to carry when I am going to my department at Uni (Electrical Enginneering) where I will have a good reason to carry it and will use it all the time.  I have already been using my Juice to make egg lornchers in freshers week  ;D
E

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 01:24:27 AM
Check this out, Ging.  If you want to use the Wave for the OH opening and the other tools in it, go for it.  It's a great tool, handy and tough, and the clip makes it very convenient.  However, the fact that it HAS those OH opening knife blades means they have to be a little bigger in order for the thumb hole to exist, which makes them stick out, which means when you use the pliers, they WILL pinch the crap out of your fingers, specially if you slip off the nut or bolt and they close on you.  For your fingers' sake, I would carry the Swisstool, or Spirit, or if ya want the old school look of leatherman, the kick or Blast, which is what I switched to from the Wave.  Again, if the pliers are not something you'll be using too often, go for it.  If they are a big reason for you HAVING a multitool, beware of what you choose.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%