Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First go at wooden scales,

Zed · 128 · 14296

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #120 on: December 19, 2011, 10:31:34 AM
Thanks guys. I am not sure what the wood is all I can tell you is that it used to be an external door.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: First go at wooden scales,
Reply #121 on: December 19, 2011, 02:04:46 PM
well they look good to me mate. :tu:

+1 very nice   :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #122 on: December 19, 2011, 03:26:57 PM
Having received a wenger from Coloswiss I decided it was time to try my hand at some wooden scales. The wife liked it so much she asked me to do her locking vic. I made the slide lock from a old brass door fitting, two brass screw eyes, a piece of buffalo horn I had in my craft box and lots of swearing.
Please be nice they are both my first attempts at scales for saks.(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
The wife's knife does lock up and release well and yes both the tooth pick and tweezers are in place. As I always have a Swiss card in my wallet I didn't bother on the wenger.

Was it tricky cutting the window into the Vics scales for the lock  :think: :think:.
I have wondered if that would be a 'challenge' & if it would weaken the scales leading to cracking or breaking of the scales around the lock/window  :think: :think:. Let us know how it holds up mate  :tu: :tu:  & nice work mate  :salute: :salute:

I can see myself trying that & having the scales break when cutting the lock window  :think: :ahhh :ahhh :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #123 on: December 19, 2011, 04:32:26 PM
Yes cutting the window was a challenge. I drilled it close using a small drill then joined the holes using a dremel router bit. The same bit was used to hollow out each end of the slid an a bit to the sides to allow the button to slide. I have made the scales slightly thicker ( see photo) to hopefully give them enough strength.
The whole thing took the best part of ten hours. My top tip is to scan/photocopy your scales then glue this to some ply. This gives you a template which is flat both sides when it comes to the drilling and cutting.

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #124 on: December 19, 2011, 11:34:03 PM
Here are the pics.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #125 on: December 20, 2011, 12:18:12 PM
Yes cutting the window was a challenge. I drilled it close using a small drill then joined the holes using a dremel router bit. The same bit was used to hollow out each end of the slid an a bit to the sides to allow the button to slide. I have made the scales slightly thicker ( see photo) to hopefully give them enough strength.
The whole thing took the best part of ten hours. My top tip is to scan/photocopy your scales then glue this to some ply. This gives you a template which is flat both sides when it comes to the drilling and cutting.

I had reckoned a bit more thickness would be the go  :think: Photocopying the original scales is a BRILLIANT  idea mate  :salute: :salute: :salute:.
I got some original liners from Neil to do that for my upcoming 'woodies' the copy method is inspired  mate :tu: :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #126 on: December 20, 2011, 03:12:04 PM
Do two copies of the top ( scale with lock in it)  Then you can have a template for the recess around the lock

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #127 on: January 03, 2012, 11:20:48 PM
Ok not my first wooden scales but first for standard sak. Antler bead done in a rush however I like it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%