Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on the 08 soldier,

Zed · 21 · 2442

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Thoughts on the 08 soldier,
on: March 29, 2010, 04:46:37 PM
I just read a review on this knife and since getting the 111mm forester and wanting a OH similar knife, possibly this is the way to go, i cant get one yet but a possible if one comes up in the future , any thoughts on it,

paul   :cheers:

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Thoughts on the 08 soldier,
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 05:37:39 PM
I just read a review on this knife and since getting the 111mm forester and wanting a OH similar knife, possibly this is the way to go, i cant get one yet but a possible if one comes up in the future , any thoughts on it,

paul   :cheers:

I really like my new Soldier; though, if you want a Forester with a OHO blade, just get one of the new OH Foresters. :P  Exact same knife, just OHO blade. :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 05:47:19 PM
I'm not actually a fan as it goes :-\

I think a PE OHT is better as it's got the t&t :), but there both pretty uncomfortable to use anything but the blade on, because of the Spyder Hole hump :-\

I much prefer the Alox Soldier's and SI's as not only are they much better looking imo, there edc-able without a good reason over here too :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

za Offline meanx

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 05:51:32 PM
The new Soldier is great,at first I wasn't so sure about the serrated blade but now I'm a firm believer,I haven't been using it a lot as its a keeper so I've ordered the new OH Forester basically the same as the Soldier except for the corkscrew.
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 06:09:50 PM
Thanks guys for the comments, yeah its not a legal carry here in the uk but its a itch i need to scratch ,plus i do like the look of them, the forester i have is great and perfect for what i need but its the soldiers looks i like,  :-\ i do agree though mike the old soldier is a very nice looking uk legal knife, but the farmer i had from you is the same looking knife but with a saw and lanyard nub, i think if one comes up cheap enough ill grab a 08 just to see,  :tu:

paul

us Offline django.cj

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 06:17:04 PM
The serrated OHT is the perfect knife in my book. No matter what I buy, nothing else feels as perfect in my hand.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 07:00:40 PM

I think a PE OHT is better as it's got the t&t :), but there both pretty uncomfortable to use anything but the blade on, because of the Spyder Hole hump :-\

I much prefer the Alox Soldier's and SI's as not only are they much better looking imo, there edc-able without a good reason over here too :)

My feelings exactly Mike, the OH hump really gets in the way when sawing.  It's the reason I got myself a Forester.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:06:55 PM

My feelings exactly Mike, the OH hump really gets in the way when sawing.  It's the reason I got myself a Forester.

so the forester i have is more comfortable than the new soldier,i do like the forester alot, the release takes a bit of getting use to, but the actual knife it self is good for camping as has all i need , ill give the saw a try Tuesday , but on a whole a very functional knife, i like the idea of OH opening but if it ruins the function of the tool then its a waste of time,

paul   

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 07:14:24 PM
The new OH Forester could be an option Paul.

I much prefer the Forester over the OHT and new Soldier for the reasons mentioned.  Mine is a black one though  :cry:
I'm back!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 07:30:14 PM
The new OH Forester could be an option Paul.

I much prefer the Forester over the OHT and new Soldier for the reasons mentioned.  Mine is a black one though  :cry:

cheers mate, do you know i cant find a pic of another green forester anywhere,  :-\

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 09:01:12 PM

so the forester i have is more comfortable than the new soldier,i do like the forester alot, the release takes a bit of getting use to, but the actual knife it self is good for camping as has all i need , ill give the saw a try Tuesday , but on a whole a very functional knife, i like the idea of OH opening but if it ruins the function of the tool then its a waste of time,

paul   

Ruined is probably to strong a word IMO, but if you're going to be sawing more than one or two branches then you'd notice it's there. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:37:08 PM

paul   

Ruined is probably to strong a word IMO, but if you're going to be sawing more than one or two branches then you'd notice it's there. :-\

i was going to make a log cabin gareth so i would be buggered  :D

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 10:07:40 PM
I love the OHT (one handed trekker) At first I didn't like the serrated blade but after awhile and lots of cutting it grew on me.

Now even though the OHT and the Soldier 08 are the same (except minor differences)

I don't like the 08,  I saw nothing wrong with the bullet proof alox version they had. :tu:

To me the 08 is nothing more then a glorified GAK. :rant:

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 10:44:02 PM
I really like mine , often works it's way into the EDC .
Chris

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 03:48:31 AM
Just bear in mind that when referring to an '08 Soldier, that you specify the ALOX version or the 111mm version.  The changeover was in 2008 and half the contract was filled with ALOX, and the other half with 111mm models, so there are some of each marked '08.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 08:54:19 AM
Just bear in mind that when referring to an '08 Soldier, that you specify the ALOX version or the 111mm version.  The changeover was in 2008 and half the contract was filled with ALOX, and the other half with 111mm models, so there are some of each marked '08.

Def

cheers Def i didnt know that  :tu: 

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 04:21:04 PM
I have had the OHT and Alox soldier, so I can compare a little.  The OHT feels just a little cheap in my hand due to the size of the scales, and the OH lump is just annoying with anything but the blade.  As far as sawing goes, I will stick to the Farmer and Camper models.  The alox soldier is a near perfect EDC item when accompanied by a good MT, and I can't wait to get my new Alox 08 from Neil.  I don't think I will be buying any of the OH 111 mm knives again unless I plan on reselling them once I open my Ebay store.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 11:02:02 PM
I like both models . The Alox is a superb pocket knife and is UK legal carry  :tu: The kind of knife that you can have for years and be a real faithfull friend . The new OH model is a totally different knife and I would say much better suited to use by soldiers . The Swiss must have been looking closely at how the Germans were getting on with their OH GAKs and decided to go down the same route .The serrated blade makes perfect sense for a soldier as it doesn't need to be sharpened as often and it cuts like a laser and will go through a wide sellection of materials quicker then a plain edge .For those who havn't tried a Vic Serrated blade I urge you to give them a chance and test one . I actually prefer them to a Spyderco Edge  :o I like to carry both a serrated and a plain blade to give me more options .

Dunc

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 11:15:37 PM
I like both models . The Alox is a superb pocket knife and is UK legal carry  :tu: The kind of knife that you can have for years and be a real faithfull friend . The new OH model is a totally different knife and I would say much better suited to use by soldiers . The Swiss must have been looking closely at how the Germans were getting on with their OH GAKs and decided to go down the same route .The serrated blade makes perfect sense for a soldier as it doesn't need to be sharpened as often and it cuts like a laser and will go through a wide sellection of materials quicker then a plain edge .For those who havn't tried a Vic Serrated blade I urge you to give them a chance and test one . I actually prefer them to a Spyderco Edge  :o I like to carry both a serrated and a plain blade to give me more options .

Dunc

Yea, I really miss my old alox soldier.  I had to sell a lot of stuff awhile back, so it went with it.  I have since learned to hide my SAK collection so it isn't even considered.  I can really see the alox soldier staying in my pocket for years to come.  Or until I get a farmer.   ::)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 08:51:40 AM

Dunc

Yea, I really miss my old alox soldier.  I had to sell a lot of stuff awhile back, so it went with it.  I have since learned to hide my SAK collection so it isn't even considered.  I can really see the alox soldier staying in my pocket for years to come.  Or until I get a farmer.   ::)

cheers guys, GG i have to say that although i dont have a older soldier the farmer is a great SAK,i must admit i prefer to have a lanyard so was thinking more pioneer but the farmer is a better option IMHO , the saw works a treat, so this would make a useful camping or EDC pocket knife, i do really like the looks of the new soldier  :ahhh  :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 03:12:56 PM

Dunc

cheers guys, GG i have to say that although i dont have a older soldier the farmer is a great SAK,i must admit i prefer to have a lanyard so was thinking more pioneer but the farmer is a better option IMHO , the saw works a treat, so this would make a useful camping or EDC pocket knife, i do really like the looks of the new soldier  :ahhh  :D

I am working on getting a farmer, they sure look sweet. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%