Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Paladin Tools

Chako · 48 · 13148

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Paladin Tools
Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 12:20:52 PM
hmmmm just did search on nextag, seems home depot and sears sells them online for about $102/$107 + Shipping and probably tax, still too much for my blood.

You think that's bad.  Over here if you hunt around online you might be able to get one for just shy of £100... not including shipping ::)   And that's a good price.

I have a PT-540 and its an awsome MT but its certainly one of those that I sometimes wonder if I should trade.  I think I've only used it twice and I could buy plenty of SAKs with the funds :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 12:24:43 PM
hmmmm just did search on nextag, seems home depot and sears sells them online for about $102/$107 + Shipping and probably tax, still too much for my blood.

You think that's bad.  Over here if you hunt around online you might be able to get one for just shy of £100... not including shipping ::)   And that's a good price.

I have a PT-540 and its an awsome MT but its certainly one of those that I sometimes wonder if I should trade.  I think I've only used it twice and I could buy plenty of SAKs with the funds :D

You could trade it with me! :D :D

The only reason I haven't got one yet is the price in the UK, and now in New Zealand is insane.  I really like multis, but I also really like food, and a place to stay...  Maybe I should rearrange my priorities.

They look to be excellent tools though.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 01:50:23 PM
Here you go Kmarr.

A few more photos...

Inside of the PT 540.

Paladin PT 525 versus SOG PowerLock 2.0.

Inside handles showing the differences between the Paladin PT 525 and the SOG PowerLock 2.0. Note the piano key locking mechanism on the SOG.

There are differences in the plier heads between the Paladin PT525 and SOG PowerLock.

Paladin PT 510 versus SOG Pocket PowerPlier.

If you take a close look at the plier heads on the PT 510 and PowerPlier, there is very little to no difference between them.

The nice thing about the PT 510 and SOG PowerPliers, is the slightly off center plier position. It doesn’t look like much, but it does help a lot when using the tool.

And a bonus shot. A size comparison of all the SOG tools I currently have minus the Micro ToolClip.

From left to right: PT 510, Pocket PowerPliers, Paratool, PT 525, PowerLock 2.0, PowerAssist, PT 540.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Kmarr

Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 07:34:54 PM
Thanks Chako :cheers:

I didn't realize the pt 540 lock was so much different than the PL.  what a strange way to do it...  I'll have to toy with mine for a few hours when it arrives and discover more strange details. :think:

Offline Magnus

Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 10:25:54 AM
I think they pack such a high price is cuz there's a scrapyard's worth of steel in it and It has to be made by paladin themselves.  The 525 and 510 are both using sogs stock models and just vamping them up.  The pt 540 is an entirely new design and costs much money to produce :-\

it is also economies of scale, or lack there of.  I can't imagine that the is a great deal of demand for a networking and electrical installation multitool.
[

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 01:17:23 PM
All local IT folks I know, are unaware such a tool exists to begin with. They are all amazed when I tell them about it. Mind you, I haven't seen one go out and buy it afterwards either.  :think:

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 01:40:18 PM
I think they pack such a high price is cuz there's a scrapyard's worth of steel in it and It has to be made by paladin themselves.  The 525 and 510 are both using sogs stock models and just vamping them up.  The pt 540 is an entirely new design and costs much money to produce :-\

it is also economies of scale, or lack there of.  I can't imagine that the is a great deal of demand for a networking and electrical installation multitool.

id get one but not for £100
I

Offline Kmarr

Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 03:47:55 AM
I think we should find a wholesaler(like real hardcore amounts of tool for low prices per unit) and pool a bunch of money to snag these things at like $70(not sure pound conversion) each.  I think something like such happened on this forum before :think:

Offline GotUCovered

Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 01:43:21 PM
That  pt-540 looks nice...what's the size and weight of that beast?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010, 01:52:53 PM
That  pt-540 looks nice...what's the size and weight of that beast?
Everything you need is shown in the PDF here..: Click..  :)

Offline Kmarr

Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 11:02:58 PM
Chako- just got my pt 540!!! After the initial excitement, I am kind of on the fence about the overall quality. The metal backsprings for the lock don't seem to allow the lock to fully....lock.  When I used the file, scissors etc.(long tools with leverage) the lock fails like it was a slipjoint. The wrench attatchments are riveted on.  I was fully aware of this before I bought it, but I was hoping it would be molded on as well. :( There is a meriad of sharp edges, very painful if you hold it a certain way and squeeze.  There is a wobbly gear cover as well as handle cover.

Most if not all of these problems can be fixed by hand, but If the overall out-of-factory quality is questionable I am forced to question durability. :-\

Do these problems exist with yours?

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 11:11:16 PM
Chako- just got my pt 540!!! After the initial excitement, I am kind of on the fence about the overall quality. The metal backsprings for the lock don't seem to allow the lock to fully....lock.  When I used the file, scissors etc.(long tools with leverage) the lock fails like it was a slipjoint. The wrench attatchments are riveted on.  I was fully aware of this before I bought it, but I was hoping it would be molded on as well. :( There is a meriad of sharp edges, very painful if you hold it a certain way and squeeze.  There is a wobbly gear cover as well as handle cover.

Most if not all of these problems can be fixed by hand, but If the overall out-of-factory quality is questionable I am forced to question durability. :-\

Do these problems exist with yours?

maybe your expectations were a tad high?  its not a piece of jewelry after all  ;)
I

Offline Kmarr

Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 11:28:26 PM
I pretty much blew my tool budget for the month on this tank so I was expecting something with higher build quality than my brother's BMW!!! the problems are easily remedied and reletively understandable considering it is a first generation.  I was just hoping for a tool sent from the heavens with that price! :o

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #43 on: April 15, 2010, 11:51:52 PM
i dont blame you either!

the lock issues a bit worrying though
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 12:08:17 AM
Mine is rock solid. I would exchange it for another. Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: April 16, 2010, 09:43:26 AM
that saw on the PT 540  looks mean  :o  :tu:

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #46 on: April 16, 2010, 09:45:47 AM
Thought our UK members might like this link

They stock all the items but be warned most prices are exclusive of VAT and delivery and they normally only sell to the media trade so you may have to blag an account.

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/22662/55-493_PALADIN-PT-540-POWERPLAY-MULTI-TOOL

"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
OT
Reply #47 on: April 18, 2010, 03:04:01 AM
In case I don't get on the forum tomorrow, Happy Birthday to ScrewTape. :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%