Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Ranger 172

J-sews · 16 · 7849

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Wenger Ranger 172
on: July 25, 2007, 03:43:48 AM
The redesigned Ranger series of knives from Wenger have really grabbed my attention. Dubbed the NewRangers, there are a total of eighteen different variations shown on the Wenger site HERE and on the preceeding page. Being the multitool nut that I am, I was most interested in the ones with the folding pliers and the folding scissors.

Felinevet reports that none of the folding plier versions are available yet, so in order to slake my thirst I bought a scissors version, the model 172 Gardener.

It arrived last week. I've been carrying it almost every day, playing with it, getting used to it. The one thing that first catches your attention is how large it is, compared to the more commonly carried 91mm Vics and 93mm Wengers. For those of us that are metrically challenged, this translates into a knife that is over 5 inches long, when closed.

The most obvious thing that makes the NewRangers "new" is Wenger's use of contoured EVO grips. A radical change from the traditional flat-sided cellidor scales one normally associates with knives made in Switzerland, the EVO grips add considerably to the control and comfort when using any of the three main features on the front side. Whether knifing, sawing, or scissoring, the palm of my hand falls naturally into the dished-out area of the handles, while my thumb and forefinger find plenty of traction on the molded checkering.

Not only do the EVO grips feel better, I'm quite certain that they are safer to use as well.

From the website photogragh, it appears that the Wenger scissors are just another example of the folding design we are seeing on all those junk Chinese tools that are appearing everywhere. Let me tell you otherwise: these are hands down the best folding scissors ever made! Man-o-man are they ever sweet! (I'm wondering if the whole dang design can be scaled down and put on other knives and multitools?)

As seen in the pictures above, the top scissor blade is stationary, and rides along with the knife handle. The bottom scissor blade does all the moving, and is returned to position after each cut by a clever backspring linkage. (Unlike smaller, previous Wenger scissors, the top scissor blade does not bounce along with the backspring on each cut.) Being a quite large device, the 172 scissors hack thru clamshell packages, cardstock, and small shrub branches with ease.

Afterwards, I did some fine test cuts on light tissue paper. There were no problems with skipping or missed cuts.

Shown above is the NewRanger 172 (bottom) compared to the previous model Ranger Mountaineer. Note the change in handle scales talked about earlier.

The long saw blade remains the same. I have not yet used the one on my 172, but it is no different than the older model, which was great. As Def says, once you get a Ranger with a saw blade, you no longer have a need for a regular saw!

Also, on the backspring, there is a phillips screwdriver. I don't expect to use it very much. Phillips screwdrivers on the backspring are one of those "Everybody stand back, stand WAAAAY back, we are about to start using the phillips!" kind of tools. A center-mounted corkscrew I can appreciate, but I'd rather have the screwdrivers fold from the end.

Last thing to mention is the knife blade. It is a biggie. My model 172 has a combination edge, with about 1/3 near the tip plain and the remaining 2/3 serrated. I guess Wenger is calling this model the Gardener, so they would expect you to need the serrations to hack through small bushes and branches and stuff. Looking through the other NewRanger models on the Wenger site, I see some with combo blades like mine, while others have plain edges. A few have one-hand opening blades. The model 57 Hunter has a blunt tip skinning blade. It all depends on the expected application.

I like how Wenger is tailoring each knife to its intended end user.

I also like the push button release on the liner lock. Well, I guess I like it better than the old sliding switch release on the previous Ranger series. Open up the knife blade and the liner lock snaps smartly in place. Push on the Wenger logo button on the side with your thumb, and the liner lock releases, allowing you to fold the knife back up. It works slick for right-handed people. It also works well for us leftys, as the button can be pushed just as easily with the forefinger on the left hand. Yay Wenger!

I like my 172 a lot, so much so that now I'm looking forward to trying out one of the folding plier models even more. So much for slaking my thirst. :P

Bob

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Wenger Ranger 172
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 03:58:18 AM
Nice tool- I may have to invest n one of those myself soon.  I have an OH model and it ROCKS!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 04:00:32 AM
What OH model would that be?  ???  An older model, or one of the new style?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 04:07:41 AM
Wenger never made any older models with the one handed opening blade.  It's unique to the current generation of Rangers. 

Here's a review I did of the Ranger 57, which I believe was one of the very first ones in North America, and very possibly the first one in Canada.

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=178&Itemid=35

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline zackhugh

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 04:44:27 AM
Nice review!  You got me drooling for one these.  I might have to get a scissors AND a wrench model.  Your pics make these look even better than on the Wenger site.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 09:19:05 AM
Now that is  a tool!

cool review mate :multi:

the emphasis does seem to be on making bigger and bigger sak,s and multi,s, am i the only one who thinks thats a bit sad :cry:??
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 01:51:16 PM
I don't know if they are really concentrating on the bigger ones, or whether it just looks like it.  Wait till you see the SOSAK Knife this year.  If you haven't handled an Evolution series Wenger, or an EVO-Grip, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Wenger is making some serious improvements all across the board, and it shows.  The Nail Clipper model, which I assumed would be a joke, impressed the heck out of me, and it's about $20 and fits on a keychain.

All in all, I am really excited about the new offerings from Wenger these days.  I am just hoping they decide to start putting the EVOGrip inserts into the new Ranger series.  While I have always been a huge SAK fan (in case you hadn't noticed!) I have always wondered how long it was going to be before the next new design change came around.  The current flat scaled design has been updated some, but is virtually unchanged from the 60's.  Why mess with perfection, I know, but then some might argue that evolution is perfection- the ability to change and adapt to new needs and challenges, and I for one applaud Wenger for taking the next step.

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:42:45 PM
I have to say between Wenger and Vic, I'm more impressed with the knives Wenger is putting out.  I like the new designs.  The EVOGrip series is very nice, and the new Ranger line is exciting :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 06:31:07 PM
Wenger has always been more apt to try new things.  Their standard lineup of knives has had locking main blades for years, the spring systems on the scissors and pliers is stronger, the screwdrivers use a pressure lock... many innovations that people are noticing now that the knives are dressed in new scales, but have actually been around for years.

I know, because I bought an Adventurer about ten years ago with all those features on it!

Def

Offline supratentorial

Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 09:28:19 PM
I also don't like that location of the Phillips driver on SAKs.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,666.0.html
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,757.0.html

...but I'm still interested in the Ranger 75 because of the pliers.  The allinghi and 75 are similar to the Meyerco Pardox in design.  But I'm hoping that the quality of the pliers is much better on the Rangers, compared to the Paradox. The pliers look better designed but I'm wondering about the handle.  From the stock photos, it looks like the metal handle on the 75 and Allinghi are the same as the handle on the 172.  Although the metal handle looks like a sufficient grip for a scissor, I wonder if it will provide enough leverage or a comfortable grip for the pliers.

Offline zackhugh

Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 09:35:11 PM
Interesting point.  J-Sews, care to comment?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 09:39:04 PM
Judging by the SwissGrip, I imagine it will give enough leverage.

The 120mm frame is quite large.  It's hard to imagine it from pictures, but the SwissGrip (120mm, like the rest of the Ranger series) is quite robust.  And, I have never found quality to be an issue with Wenger products, so I'm not worried about that either.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 12:23:16 AM

The folding handle is a single sheet of stamped, heavy-gauge metal. It doesn't seem as strong as the solid cast plier handle on the SwissGrip, or the full channel of sheet metal on a Leatherman plier tool handle. However, my guess is that it doesn't need to be. Wenger looks to have intentionally made the plier jaws on the 75 a bit smaller than a normal multitool, thereby limiting somewhat the type of work that can be done with it.

In other words, I think the folding plier handle will be adequately matched to the plier jaws.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 06:06:54 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

The folding handle is a single sheet of stamped, heavy-gauge metal. It doesn't seem as strong as the solid cast plier handle on the SwissGrip, or the full channel of sheet metal on a Leatherman plier tool handle. However, my guess is that it doesn't need to be. Wenger looks to have intentionally made the plier jaws on the 75 a bit smaller than a normal multitool, thereby limiting somewhat the type of work that can be done with it.

In other words, I think the folding plier handle will be adequately matched to the plier jaws.

I did some rough estimates of size based on the assumption that the Wenger 75 is 5.1".  I overlaid a photo of the Charge pliers on the Ranger 75 for comparison.  This is just based on estimates but the pliers might not be too much smaller than those on the Charge.

* Ranger75vsCharge.jpg (Filesize: 65.77 KB)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 10:14:10 AM
I don't know if they are really concentrating on the bigger ones, or whether it just looks like it.  Wait till you see the SOSAK Knife this year.  If you haven't handled an Evolution series Wenger, or an EVO-Grip, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Wenger is making some serious improvements all across the board, and it shows.  The Nail Clipper model, which I assumed would be a joke, impressed the heck out of me, and it's about $20 and fits on a keychain.

All in all, I am really excited about the new offerings from Wenger these days.  I am just hoping they decide to start putting the EVOGrip inserts into the new Ranger series.  While I have always been a huge SAK fan (in case you hadn't noticed!) I have always wondered how long it was going to be before the next new design change came around.  The current flat scaled design has been updated some, but is virtually unchanged from the 60's.  Why mess with perfection, I know, but then some might argue that evolution is perfection- the ability to change and adapt to new needs and challenges, and I for one applaud Wenger for taking the next step.

Def
thats true, but there refinements rather than re-invention if you see what i mean, it just seems to me that the 111mm and the 120mm,s are getting all the development, new tool,s and features ect ect.

it,s not a criticism, i love sak,s in all there forms, just an observation :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 04:18:52 AM
I just picked up one of these,  anyone have any comments on combo blade on the 172? 
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%