Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Some help, please!

crls1 · 12 · 3226

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Some help, please!
on: April 06, 2010, 03:05:52 AM
Justa asking your hel to identify this SAK!

Serrated main blade
Pruning secondary blade
Metal file/saw
Wood saw
Scissors
Cap lifter
can opener

Corckscrew (5 loops, grooved)
Awl (solid)

Details on the stampings

Detail of the scales

Some history: my dad had this knife stored in a safety safe for over 30 years, it has some rust in all the blades (nothing to bad), and i think he used the pruning blade to cut something really sticky and he didn't clean it before storing.

I haven't been able to find anything in the SAK wiki; the closest I found is a 70's Outdoorsman (1976 Victorinox catalog, number 17-028), it mentions an all purpose blade, but the image is not very clear (I can`t see the "all purpose blade"),and a lanyard shackle (the one I have has a key ring).

Thankyou for any info you can provide  :salute:

Carlos
(

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Some help, please!
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:43:12 AM
VERY NICE!

You can send it to me for cleaning, then I will store it away, but not too far away I'd like to look at it.
I'm not sure i've seen one like that, but someone here or on SOSAK should be able to help.

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 04:16:43 AM
remember i saw the same sak but was a hoffriz camper or something like that ???... no clue of this one :twak:  very very nice knife carlos congrats  :drool: :salute:
custom swiss army knives

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:29:18 AM
Its actually called the Original "Outdoorsman" according to James Christian's website for his personal gallery of his collection.

http://www.e-webtechnologies.com/sak/html/gallery.html

http://www.e-webtechnologies.com/sak/Vic_Outdoorsman_Serrated.JPG

Your seems to be an Elinox variant. I have the standard Victorinox one shown in James Christians photo.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 04:36:43 AM by stressmaster5000 »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 04:37:31 AM
Its actually called the Original "Outdoorsman" according to James Christian's website for his personal gallery of his collection.

Came here to say the same - this is the original Outdoorsman, not to be confused with the 1990s Marlboro knife of the same name. This is an older one, probably made c. 1970-1973 judging by the tools. Vic made this knife from the 60s into the early 80s at least, but up until 1974 is was in the Elinox line. After 1974 it seemed to go into the main Victorinox line (I have the same knife in an early 1980s Victorinox version).

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 04:44:22 AM
That's a nice rare SAK you've got there, look after it well :tu:

I have a similar one but minus file and scissors.  I call it a pruning camper but I doubt that is its actual name :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 04:49:47 AM
This is an older one, probably made c. 1970-1973 judging by the tools.

One thing to add to date it a little better - older Elinox knives didn't have polished tools. Those closer to the end (1974) did. The most obvious tools to look at are the can opener and caplifter. If they are rough machined, it's probably closer to the 1970 date. If they are polished, then it's probably closer to the 1973 date. I would date it 1973 at the latest, though, as many tools changed around 1974 and you have the older version of all of them (scissors, file, main blade, corkscrew, caplifter).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 04:51:23 AM by jazzbass »

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 06:42:46 AM
Thank You Gentlemen!  :tu:

You've been alot of help  :salute: And following jazzbass comments, I checked the tools and they aren't polished, so it would be closer to the 1970 date.

Carlos
(

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 07:33:47 AM

Came here to say the same - this is the original Outdoorsman, not to be confused with the 1990s Marlboro knife of the same name. This is an older one, probably made c. 1970-1973 judging by the tools. Vic made this knife from the 60s into the early 80s at least, but up until 1974 is was in the Elinox line. After 1974 it seemed to go into the main Victorinox line (I have the same knife in an early 1980s Victorinox version).
Great SAK Carlos :tu:

Wealth of knowledge, thanks guys. What were the differences between the Elinox and Victorinox lines? Economy and regular? Thanks again, V.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 10:31:24 AM
Hi

Elinox is Economy or Eco,
Very nice knife! Should be around 1970 or like JazzBass says, The Camping and Cross and shield looks like inlay. I was hoping that it can be checked to see? It is the old emblem with lines from the cross.

NM
Get more tools

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 11:31:06 AM
Great SAK Carlos :tu:

Wealth of knowledge, thanks guys. What were the differences between the Elinox and Victorinox lines? Economy and regular? Thanks again, V.

For the older 84mm and 91mm models, the Elinox line was the "economy" line. They didn't polish the tools, the liners weren't anodized, the scale material was (originally) cheaper*, and I read somewhere that they didn't individually inspect each knife.

Hi

Very nice knife! Should be around 1970 or like JazzBass says, The Camping and Cross and shield looks like inlay. I was hoping that it can be checked to see? It is the old emblem with lines from the cross.
NM

It's definitely an inlay. I have a Camper Pruner like Neil mentions above, which is a similar knife except it lacks the scissors and the file, and the scales are inlaid. Nickel silver inlays at that, which is to be expected with the age of the knife.

* If you look at an old pre-69 Vic - one of the ones with a bail - you'll notice the scales are a darker red material compared to the 69+ models. These dark red scales are denser, harder and significantly more heat resistant than the bright red ones. In 1969, Vic went to the key ring in the spacer and they started using the bright red cellidor for all knives, not just the Elinox line. This is why it's typical to see knives from the early 70s where the scales are warping - even for knives that are NIB. Warping is almost unheard of on the dark red scales. Elinox knives used the cheaper grade of bright red cellidor from at least the early 60s.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:33:04 AM by jazzbass »

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 12:24:09 PM

[/quote]

For the older 84mm and 91mm models, the Elinox line was the "economy" line. They didn't polish the tools, the liners weren't anodized, the scale material was (originally) cheaper*, and I read somewhere that they didn't individually inspect each knife.

Hi

NM

It's definitely an inlay. I have a Camper Pruner like Neil mentions above, which is a similar knife except it lacks the scissors and the file, and the scales are inlaid. Nickel silver inlays at that, which is to be expected with the age of the knife.

* If you look at an old pre-69 Vic - one of the ones with a bail - you'll notice the scales are a darker red material compared to the 69+ models. These dark red scales are denser, harder and significantly more heat resistant than the bright red ones. In 1969, Vic went to the key ring in the spacer and they started using the bright red cellidor for all knives, not just the Elinox line. This is why it's typical to see knives from the early 70s where the scales are warping - even for knives that are NIB. Warping is almost unheard of on the dark red scales. Elinox knives used the cheaper grade of bright red cellidor from at least the early 60s.
[/quote]

Yes,N.S inlay that makes all sence..
I agree also from my info the older "eco" was so, looks like the "Eco models" has gradually become almost in class with the original line, I have noticed the warping like you sad.
NM

Get more tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69