Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

design flaw in Leatherman Core

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: design flaw in Leatherman Core
Reply #30 on: October 30, 2006, 10:54:35 AM
I don't think this the first LM tool to have the plier head jamming problem.  I have had my Pulse for 3 or 4 days now and the other night I was playing with it and I had the pliers open and was messing around with the tools in the handle. I had the medium flathead out and then closed the pliers and the tip of them gets jammed between the scissors and the large flathead really bad. I didn't force the handles shut after I noticed what was going on because I didn't want to or know if it would damage the tools inside. I guess you should only open the tools inside the handles that are folded out then close the handles like the letter LM sent you said. Sorry you are having so much trouble with your Core.  But the Pule is a much older tool you think that LM would make sure that nothing like this would happen on newer designs.
"

Offline colubrid

Reply #31 on: October 30, 2006, 02:56:08 PM
I don't think this the first LM tool to have the plier head jamming problem.  I have had my Pulse for 3 or 4 days now and the other night I was playing with it and I had the pliers open and was messing around with the tools in the handle. I had the medium flathead out and then closed the pliers and the tip of them gets jammed between the scissors and the large flathead really bad. I didn't force the handles shut after I noticed what was going on because I didn't want to or know if it would damage the tools inside. I guess you should only open the tools inside the handles that are folded out then close the handles like the letter LM sent you said. Sorry you are having so much trouble with your Core.  But the Pule is a much older tool you think that LM would make sure that nothing like this would happen on newer designs.

AH HA!

The plot thickens.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: June 24, 2007, 12:43:53 AM
Hmm a very interesting old thread. Was there any sort of progression?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: June 24, 2007, 06:46:02 AM
Not that I am aware of.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: June 24, 2007, 03:47:22 PM
I have tried this with my Core- in fact, it was the first thing I did when I got it out of the package, and I couldn't re-create the problem.  It's just as likely that I wasn't doing it right as it was that the problem was fixed.

All in all, I would rather have the scratched plier head problem than the loose tools that fly open when flicked problem that I have with my Core!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: June 24, 2007, 04:36:10 PM
You've got a loose tools that fly open when flicked problem with your Core? I didn't know that.  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: June 24, 2007, 05:02:04 PM
Yup.  That was in my initial set of complaints about the Core.  The handle in your hand opens just enough to get your fingers under the blade and the outside handle can actually have the blades fly open so far they lock.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline znapschatz

Reply #37 on: June 25, 2007, 05:33:52 AM
Yup.  That was in my initial set of complaints about the Core.  The handle in your hand opens just enough to get your fingers under the blade and the outside handle can actually have the blades fly open so far they lock.

Def

How much use did it take before these things occurred?  My 6 month old Core is a smurfcat, easy to access the tools with nothing flying out of control.  Maybe it hasn'r worn in enough?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: June 25, 2007, 02:13:12 PM
It actually happened right out of the box.  I mentioned it in my original thread here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,767.0.html

and there are some pictures on the second page.  If anyone is really that interested I could probably film it and post it on YouTube?

Def

us Offline Splat

Reply #39 on: June 25, 2007, 04:31:31 PM
I tried duplicating this. Tried when I first read the first thread about it, then again recently, and neither time could I do it.
Splat

Offline znapschatz

Reply #40 on: June 25, 2007, 05:51:56 PM
It actually happened right out of the box.  I mentioned it in my original thread here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,767.0.html

and there are some pictures on the second page.  If anyone is really that interested I could probably film it and post it on YouTube?

Def

My Core doesn't do any of the things you have reported.  What am I doing right?  ???   

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: June 25, 2007, 06:39:01 PM
Maybe I have a flawed one...  not a big deal as it doesn't see alot of carry time.  I like it, but I prefer to have scissors, and a tool that size/weight shouldn't need a companion.

Def

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: June 26, 2007, 04:05:52 AM
When colubrid first made this thread I couldn't replicate his problem with my Core. I just wasn't doing it right. You have to first open the Core pliers all the way with both handles, then open the middle flat head driver and then try to close the pliers.  With the pliers closing they slide in between the awl and the big flathead driver.  I posted a short video http://youtube.com/watch?v=kWI4DSTHScE First is the way I open tools on the Core without the jamming problem and then I open it the way it jams. I didn't force the pliers once they jam.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: June 26, 2007, 04:18:53 AM
I see it now, and since I just happened to have my Core handy I decided to give it a shot.  Well it worked and I did manage to scratch the plier head.  It seems to me that the awl flexing is the main reason the plier head can get so jammed in there.  I think if the awl and lanyard ring were reversed (or the folding lanyard ring replaced with something useful!) then I doubt it would be as much of an issue since I don;t think the plier head would be able to force itself in as far.

Def

Offline znapschatz

Reply #44 on: June 26, 2007, 06:08:47 AM
Maybe I have a flawed one...  not a big deal as it doesn't see alot of carry time.  I like it, but I prefer to have scissors, and a tool that size/weight shouldn't need a companion.

Def

At first, ten years ago, I regretted the lack of scissors on my Super Tool.  When, a few months later, Leatherman introduced the Micra, the issue was resolved.  It weighed so little and took up hardly any room, yet supplied scissors, nail file, tweezers, small blade and a few other things not found on the larger multi-tool.  I saw no reason to insist that everything be in one package since it was so easy to carry both, and if the Super Tool was inappropriate to carry in some situations, it was still possible to carry the tiny Micra. 

These days I am using a Core for "serious" outings, still backing it up with a Micra (sometimes a Vic Rambler).  Works for me as well now as it did then.   

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: June 26, 2007, 02:03:35 PM
The Micra was my first Leatherman.  I had been aware of Leatherman's tools at that point, but never really paid them much attention.  Then one day I saw a Micra at my local knife dealer so I grabbed it.  I was so impressed that I went back the next day and bought a PST II.

I agree that with the Micra handy you don't need scissors, but I still like to have them in case I am carryinf a SAK that doesn't have them or I'm without the Micra which happens a lot nowadays.

Def

Offline znapschatz

Reply #46 on: June 27, 2007, 03:36:26 AM

I agree that with the Micra handy you don't need scissors, but I still like to have them in case I am carryinf a SAK that doesn't have them or I'm without the Micra which happens a lot nowadays.

Def

With me, it's the other way around.  Although sometimes I can't or don't want to carry anything bigger, since I wear jeans 95% of the time, there is no reason to ever be without a Micra in my watch pocket (security check points excepted).  A lot depends on lifestyle, I suppose.  A little obsessive-compulsiveness doesn't hurt, either.    ::) ;D   

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: June 27, 2007, 03:38:23 AM
My watch pocket is usually reserved for SAKs... often I carry an ALOX model and they don't make those with scissors.

Def

au Offline dingosrun

• bring it on
Reply #48 on: July 24, 2007, 01:25:01 PM
sorry for bring up an old post
tell me to get losted if you like

i have had a play with my core as if i only open them part way you get away with the problem
but if i open the handles all the way the problem kicks in and jams up
so there is a design flaw there but only a slight one
if you open them part way this keeps the jaws closed and i say if i was usin the tool for the screwdriver i would only open it part way to get the tool out -imo

also if i got back a rusty tool after it had gone to be repaired i would go off my trolley at them as they have only made the tool worse before it went in
thats realy sucks
(sorry for my ozzie way of talking -any troubles understanding pm me and be more than happy to put into usa terms  ;D)
so lm needs to replace the item fully as they stuffed it up
and moving tools around hasnt fixed it it just made the problem look different

just my 2 cents
cheers paul

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: July 24, 2007, 01:27:29 PM
No problem Paul- we love trying to decipher the Aussie code!  :grin:

Seriously, I managed to re-create this problem with my Core but all in all I never really found it to be a significant problem either. 

Def

au Offline dingosrun

• bring it on
Reply #50 on: July 25, 2007, 12:55:39 AM
if you are just going for the screwdriver its no trouble at all

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: July 25, 2007, 02:22:18 PM
Especially if the screwdriver you are using is on the Universal Tool Adaptor!  :pok:

Def

au Offline dingosrun

• bring it on
Reply #52 on: July 25, 2007, 02:22:55 PM
lol ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: July 25, 2007, 02:26:28 PM
That's a new one for you... there's no dreaded pokey stick at www.g-forces.com is there?  Mwa ha ha haaaaaa! >:D

They are lucky on that one.  The pokey stick is a very powerful device, and once you are poked, you have no choice but to comply... or thou shalt be poked again and again until you do!

:pok:

Def

au Offline dingosrun

• bring it on
Reply #54 on: July 25, 2007, 02:30:25 PM
 :twak:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: July 25, 2007, 02:34:35 PM
 ;D

You certainly got the hang of that one pretty quick!

Def

au Offline dingosrun

• bring it on
Reply #56 on: July 26, 2007, 12:41:34 AM
always im an old hand it this stuff
you should know better than that def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: July 26, 2007, 12:53:21 AM
You certainly are- I bought a new watch today already!

It's a little thing with a digital compass built in.  I'll send it to my father after I play with it a bit!

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/xg20/index.php

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%