Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Usage clarification...

665ae · 20 · 2366

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Usage clarification...
on: July 31, 2007, 07:36:47 PM
A lot of times when I read reviews and discussions of multi's, I see a lot of statements like... "Not good for heavy jobs."  Or, "works well for light tasks."  (I'm pretty sure I'm guilty of using both of those)  The problem is, what the heck is a heavy job or light task???

Can you guys give some examples of what you consider heavy, medium, or light jobs that you use multi's for?

For me, a heavy job is usually busting loose a rusty nut (around 15mm). 

Medium jobs would be loosening the nut on a battery cable clamp (something I do quite frequently) or gripping something with the tips of the pliers and twisting.

Light duty would mainly be holding things or other jobs that don't require a lot of force to be used.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Usage clarification...
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 07:56:50 PM
That's pretty well how I define it as well.

Of course I also tend to refer to heavy users occasionally, which is similar but has a different connotation.  For example, a heavy user is someone who performs a range of tasks with their tool on a regular basis, while a light user would be someone who carries it to be prepared for the odd thing that might need doing every now and then.

The heavy user may not need a heavy duty tool, but would definitely need a solid, well constructed tool that could be carried easily and have a well thought out selection of implements, while a light user could conceivably make do with a cheaper tool without the same level of comfort, fit, finish or variety of implements since their tool only sees occasional use.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 08:18:29 PM
Hmmmm, this sounds like a good oppurtunity to pitch an idea I've had for some time.Why can't forumites knock heads together and try to develop a standard rating system,with standardized criteria? I know there's a bunch of hurdles , but we can at least give it a shot.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 08:19:44 PM
I'm all for it.  That's one of the reasons I started this site!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 08:25:04 PM
I guess I should clarify that I'm looking for jobs you would do with the pliers.  Most of the time when I read "not good for heavy work" it's usually referring to the pliers.

An example is the Buck X-tract.  Most people agree that the pliers wouldn't be used for "heavy" jobs.  While I agree with that statement, I have used the X-tract to break free some big rusty nuts.  The problem with the X-tract (in my opinion) isn't the pliers, it's the handles.  It's hard to get a good solid grip on both handles.  
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 02:14:01 AM
......The problem with the X-tract (in my opinion) isn't the pliers, it's the handles.  It's hard to get a good solid grip on both handles.  

Well said.

(and I'm still thinking about what would make a good rating system.)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 02:53:10 AM
My problem is finding a tool taht does the heavy work, Today I adjusted the air brakes on my truck with the Surge. I know that I really abuse them and cannot send them back unless I am totaly honest on just how they are destroyed. so far only 2 companies are cool with it. SOG and Leatherman. I wont say the company that refused it, but lets just say tha I really did not blame them.

John
"Death to the Gerber Suspension!"
S

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 04:56:38 AM
It is my opinion that a heavy use tool would be somthing in the order of the Leatherman Crunch or the Surge.  They are larger heavily constructed tools that appear like they can take the abuse.  Somthing like the Juice would definately be a light duty tool.  The swisstools although polished and highly refined are not by any means lightweights.  A rating system may be difficult to refine to an exact science but opinions count, I guess. 

I am no metalurgist and I cannot explain this one but I once broke a pair of vice grips off at the jaws.  I thought tose things were supposed to be tough.  I guess that some tools cant be rated.   

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 09:36:45 PM
What I would consider heavy use is when the job your doing becomes more important then the multitool your using . What I mean is you use as much force as your hands can apply to get the bolt/nut /screw undone or tightened .

Dunc

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 10:05:50 PM

When I think to myself, I can do this with my Wave, but I spend the extra couple minutes to go get a pair of channel locks instead, that is really heavy duty.  For light duty, I think what you could do with a Gerber Shorcut or a LM Squirt.

Light
- Pulling splinters
- Detail type work
- Holding small or fragile parts while they glue
- Turning screws on eyeglasses or battery covers for my kid's tootbrush

Medium
- Most normal screws or bolts around the house
- Bending or breaking metal or wood
- Cutting Sticks
- Bending a coat hanger to keep your muffler from dragging

Heavy
- Large bolts that barely fit in your tool's jaws
- Holding something steady while you buddy whacks it with a hammer
- Engine repair (on the side of the road)

Rick
-

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 11:28:53 PM
Hey trickknife, that's pretty similar to the list I would make. One thing I would add to tell the difference between med. and heavy is that for me heavy means I can use it to twist things without worrying about hurting them.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 06:47:08 AM
Hey trickknife, that's pretty similar to the list I would make. One thing I would add to tell the difference between med. and heavy is that for me heavy means I can use it to twist things without worrying about hurting them.

That's true.  I find myself twisting things quite a bit, and I agree it should be considered a heavy job.  I've noticed some tools flex a bit more than others...

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 04:14:21 AM
I was just using my Wave the other day an had a hard time twisting something (I was twisting along the axis of the jaw tips) and the tips twisted really far.  I was bummed that it didn't do what I wanted even after several attempts, but I was surprised that the thing didn't have any permanent twist/bend on the jaw tips and the wire cutters still worked great.

I guess its time to dig out a real manly tool.  Which one is the BEST BIG tool (pliers related)? :multi:

Rick
-

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 04:16:34 AM
If you are looking for heavy duty pliers, look no further than the Wenger SwissGrip.

Def

Offline zackhugh

Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 04:19:40 AM
If you are looking for heavy duty pliers, look no further than the Wenger SwissGrip.

Def

My theory is that you're trying to get all of us who don't have a SwissGrip interested in them so that we have to go through the arduous process of tracking one down.  >:(  ;D

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 04:21:36 AM
That's pretty slick.  I saw the SOSAK On Line.  You must be involved with that.  I'll look at it.  I don't know about pliers that don't stow away.  Seems like it'd be too long.

Got a link for it?  Or maybe a coupon?  Good idea zackhugh.

Rick
-

Offline zackhugh

Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 04:28:05 AM
That's right.  I forgot about the group buy.  I can't remember, but I think I indicated interest at that time.  SwissGrip still out of my grip and on the target list! 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 04:30:07 AM
I am still waiting for my contact at Wenger to get back to me about the group buy.  As soon as I get any info I will post it.  I may even send out an email to get people's attention and let them know it's ready to go.

Unfortunately there seems to be some problem with the main site or I'd show you the link to the review there. 

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 09:30:20 PM
trickknife  I think you should have a close look at the Victorinox Swisstool . I know exactly what your saying about the Leatherman plier tips twisting , I've experienced this myself.

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 10:13:18 PM
Esteban figured out what I screwed up and the main site is working again- here's the link I was mentioning:

http://www.multitool.org/wenger/large-tool/wenger-swissgrip.html

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%