Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

UK geocachers?

Offline Hedge Kid

• Member 003 of the MickyD Fan Club
UK geocachers?
on: April 29, 2010, 02:15:52 AM
Feel free to move this mods if it should go somewhere else...I couldn't find a good fit!

On my recent adventures to the US I was lucky enough to be taken geo and terra caching. I was instantly hooked and am now wanting do some more. I do feel like I may have been a bit spoilt for the English caches though, after caching in the Appellachian mountains! 

So, are any of you in the UK geocachers? If so, what advice would you offer a newbie.

No disrespect to cachers elsewhere but it seems to be a different scene in the UK...or the geocaching site leads me to believe anyway! An example would be: in the states all the caches we searched for were open on the website yet when I look near to where I live, loads of the caches are available for premium members only (boo hiss) I'm sure there is a perfectly valid reason for this but it seemed a bit cliquey to the outsider.

Also, any advice on good starter GPS handsets would be gratefully received...

Thanks in advance guys  :tu:
I

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: UK geocachers?
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 03:05:25 AM
loads of the caches are available for premium members only (boo hiss)

Where did you see those HK? I've not come across any premium only caches, I though they were all for everyone. That said it's a year since we did one!
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:12:13 AM
An example: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f83e978a-25e9-4714-9eb6-8192b2ff61e4

As a general rule I'd go for caches out of the city for a better hunt with less muggles to contend with...I'm not built for stealth  :D but I look for some locally to show Son of Hedge Kid and see if I could locate them with the basic gps on my phone whilst walking the dog. All the park ones seem locked.
I

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 03:15:24 AM
Oh wow - I've never come across that.

I take it that it appears in searches, and tells you no when you try and look at the details is that right? That's cack, but seems to be down to the owner being a meanie!

I don't think it's typical though, are the one's you're finding blocked all owned by the same miserable git person?
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:26:15 AM
Yes, it shows a little monochrome head and shoulders in a box by the icons in the list. And yes, most of them are by the same meanie charitable soul and a few others around here. Maybe I'll try and get to know the friendly bunch and find out why  :D
I

Offline Hedge Kid

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:37:42 PM
Bumping this at a more sociable hour!

If there are any cachers coming to the UK meet, do you fancy seeking out some near the meet up camp site?
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD