Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sog Pliers are good but how are the handles?

Offline kensington

• New User
Sog Pliers are good but how are the handles?
on: August 01, 2007, 06:59:05 AM
I am looking for SOG Powerlock pliers to replace my leatherman juice s2 pliers because my leatherman plier handles are very awkward to grip and the harder you squeeze the handles the more uncomfortable your hand gets and your grip will slide down towards the nose which in turn means the plier jaws will not be doing a good job holding onto the thing at the other end.

I keep reading about how great compound leverage is on the powerlock but is that power backed up by non-slip handles that will stay inside a fist of thor?

I actually don't want a sog multi-tool but a sog folding pliers because the pliers is all I need but they don't make those. But I also wonder how much better the pliers would be on a dedicated sog pliers w/o the other tools getting in the way?

Offline supratentorial

Re: Sog Pliers are good but how are the handles?
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 07:28:22 AM
If you only need pliers with an ergonomic grip, I wouldn't recommend purchasing a SOG or any other multi-tool.  I'd recommend Knipex or Klein pliers instead of a multi-tool.  If additional leverage is a selling point for you, both Knipex and Klein manufacture "high leverage" pliers.  I don't know your intended application so I can't recommend a specific model that will suit your needs...but you might look into the Knipex PlierWrench.  According to Knipex, the PlierWrench has "lever transmission greater than 10 - 1 for strong gripping power".

Offline supratentorial

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:32:20 AM
This is an old photo from another discussion but I'm too lazy  ::)  to snap another photo of the PlierWrench:

Btw, I can easily carry the 7" PlierWrench in my back pocket.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:35:10 AM by supratentorial »

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:33:02 AM
This is an old photo from another discussion but I'm too lazy  ::)  to snap another photo of the PlierWrench:

(Image removed from quote.)

Btw, I can easily carry the 7" PlierWrench in my back pocket.

That PlierWrench looks HUGE compared to that Leatherman - pretty darned big for regular pocket carry.

I have a small Channel Lock plier/wrench (smallest size they make) that offers pretty good leverage and gets good "gription" on all sorts of objects.  That Channel Lock appears to be several inches shorter than that 7" PlierWrench.

N

Offline SoDak

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 03:10:21 PM
If all you need is pliers look at a visegrip. I carry an Irwin 5wr and I can't imagine not having one(it's almost more important than my multitool).

Offline supratentorial

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 04:11:30 PM
That PlierWrench looks HUGE compared to that Leatherman - pretty darned big for regular pocket carry.

It depends on the size of your pockets!   :P  Sometimes I carry the PlierWrench in a back pocket with the handles sticking out.  I usually forgot it's there until I sit down.   :o  It might be possible to find (or atleast special order) a belt sheath for it.  I really like the PlierWrench -- it's one of those tools that you don't know that you're missing until you use it.  With a 10-1 lever ratio, it has a very strong grip.  Knipex claims they can crush rocks with it!  (the don't specifiy the kind of rock... maybe limestone   ;D  )  Tom Munch posted some photos of the PlierWrench here in the forums: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,884.0.html.  I ordered mine based on Tom's recommendation.  Thanks Tom!!!

If all you need is pliers look at a visegrip. I carry an Irwin 5wr and I can't imagine not having one(it's almost more important than my multitool).

The 5WR is another nice tool.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 04:17:44 PM by supratentorial »

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 01:07:59 AM
What does the "WR" in the"%WR" stand for?  I have a needle nose Vise Grip 6WR that I like a lot that I keep in my car kit.
[

Offline kensington

• New User
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 03:31:24 AM
Thanks for the Knipex recommendation. I wanted to buy the 7" Knipex a few months back but lack of availability in Toronto, Canada meant I bought the leatherman pliers instead.

Even though the Knipex looks oversized compared to that leatherman, I know looks aren't everything and it just looks like a pita to edc. What I'll end up doing is buying both the Sog, because it folds into a smaller package, and the Knipex too, because 3 inches might not be that big a deal especially when the tool gives so much back, a case of quality over quantity...and then see which I like better. If only the Knipex were folding!

Anyone know where I can buy a Knipex in Toronto?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 03:43:07 AM
You should be able to get them at Home Depot.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 07:40:55 AM
What does the "WR" in the"%WR" stand for?  I have a needle nose Vise Grip 6WR that I like a lot that I keep in my car kit.

I think I know what the "6" stands for  ;D  but I don't know for sure about the "WR".  All the WR models have Wire cutters.  And maybe the "R" stands for Round nose?  ???  The "LN" models are long nose pliers with wire cutters.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 07:58:50 AM by supratentorial »

Offline supratentorial

Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 07:46:26 AM
Anyone know where I can buy a Knipex in Toronto?

If you can't find a local dealer, you might try https://chadstoolbox.com.  I think they'll ship to Canada.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 05:22:18 PM
Similar Irwin pliers on on sale this week at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=944782&Ntt=944782&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

It might be a misprint, but they are a little more expensive in the paper flier.  You may want to look into it a little closer.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline kensington

• New User
Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 05:50:53 AM
I wasn't impressed with the Irwins but for 14.99 + free shipping I had no choice but to place an order. They lack the engineering feat of the Knipex and are slightly bigger but I think they'll be fine for edc once I find a place on my trousers to sew a sleeve/holster for them.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 08:41:40 AM

I have a short, needle-nose, authentic Vice Grip (Vice Grip is stamped into tool) that gets used fairly often.

Very handy for grabbing and locking onto thin or smaller diameter objects.  Good for getting into tight spaces for those hard-to-reach objects.  Back pocketable.

N

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 02:25:14 AM

I have a short, needle-nose, authentic Vice Grip (Vice Grip is stamped into tool) that gets used fairly often.

Very handy for grabbing and locking onto thin or smaller diameter objects.  Good for getting into tight spaces for those hard-to-reach objects.  Back pocketable.

Do they have those yellow and blue rubber/plastic handle covers?  The ones I own have them and despite them looking like they'd fall off, they make the tool really comfortable to use. 
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 03:18:47 AM
The Vise Grip/Schrade ST6 multitool is still available from many sources.

* Schrade Tough Grip ST6H.jpg (Filesize: 41.18 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 01:21:13 AM
Do they have those yellow and blue rubber/plastic handle covers?  The ones I own have them and despite them looking like they'd fall off, they make the tool really comfortable to use. 

The Vice Grips are old - maybe a dozen years or more.  They have what I'd guess to be chrome plating over the whole tool.  Chrome handles without any rubber/plastic handle covers.

They are just a tad over 6" from pliers tip to end of handles.  They have Vice Grip and 6LN stamped into them.  Their needle nose pliers are just over 2" from tips to wire cutter at back of jaws.

These little Vice Grips are a very handy tool, actually one of my favorite tools because they'll often work when all other tools fail to work.

The small Channel Locks that I mentioned earlier are also a very handy tool, especially for plumbing.

They may also be chrome plated.  Channel Lock 426 is stamped into one handle.  The handles have blue rubber/plastic covers.

Overall length is about 6.5" and the jaw length is about 3/4 of an inch.  Jaws will adjust from nearly touching out to about 3/4 of an inch apart, with 5 or 6 steps in between.

Both of these tools are small and light enough to easily carry in a back pocket, and I often carry both at the same time when working around the house.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD