Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SuperJuice KFS4

J-sews · 189 · 38034

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Re: SuperJuice KFS4
Reply #60 on: May 09, 2010, 02:33:56 PM
That is (going to be) a thing of beauty Bob - good luck sorting out the fasteners.

Then, can you make me one please? Just a single layer one, I'm not greedy :D

Well if we're placing orders then I'll take one too  :D :pok:

Send it with Dave's to save on shipping  :gimme:

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: May 09, 2010, 03:13:04 PM
HEY LEAVE BOB ALONE SO HE CAN FINISH.  Note to Leatherman......why are you not hiring this man?

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #62 on: May 09, 2010, 07:02:10 PM
That is (going to be) a thing of beauty Bob - good luck sorting out the fasteners.

Then, can you make me one please? Just a single layer one, I'm not greedy :D

feel free to make me some TI charge scales while your at it bob  ;)
I

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: May 09, 2010, 11:47:57 PM
Made some definite progress today, but in the end it fell just short of the goal. :-\ And for such a silly reason too..... :P

The whole story:
I finished machining the backsides of the scales this morning, which went much easier than anticipated. :) Then came assembly time! :cheers: Yay, this ought to be fun, right? WRONG! :P After spending over an hour fighting The Battle Of The Backsprings, it was back to the shop to make a little assembly jig. Then things were proceeding nicely again, until it became apparent that my pivot screws are too short. :cry: The ones I bought from www.knifekits.com are one half inch long:

(Image removed from quote.)

Unfortunately, it appears they need to be just a little bit longer. :( These are already the longest ones knifekits sells, so I'll have to make my own. :(

In the mean time though, I was able to assemble up the first layer and the pliers layer, just to get a feel for it. Here's a few pics. (keep in mind there are no back scales in place yet)

Showing cap screw being used as thumb stud

Pliers deployed

Screwdrivers

Special blade load out for Mike LOTS :D

These pics are well worth repeating on this page. :drool:

You're a real craftsman Bob. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: May 10, 2010, 04:38:07 AM
Thanks for the encouragement all, but it really doesn't count unless the tool actually gets finished right? :D

On which note, another stumbling block seems to be the stainless steel used in the pivot pins. For some reason it galled up and burred rather quickly on the pre-assembly I did yesterday. :think: With each open and close of the knife blade, the amount of "drag" became noticably worse. (not sure if the drag marks show up well in this picture)

The new (longer) ones will have to be made from brass. And hopefully brass will be strong enough for plier usage. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Dizos

Reply #65 on: May 10, 2010, 07:47:54 AM
Great stuff!  I've long fantasized about a ti scaled Juice with a clip so it is wonderful to see it in reality. 

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #66 on: May 10, 2010, 08:10:43 AM
Thanks for the encouragement all, but it really doesn't count unless the tool actually gets finished right? :D

On which note, another stumbling block seems to be the stainless steel used in the pivot pins. For some reason it galled up and burred rather quickly on the pre-assembly I did yesterday. :think: With each open and close of the knife blade, the amount of "drag" became noticably worse. (not sure if the drag marks show up well in this picture)

The new (longer) ones will have to be made from brass. And hopefully brass will be strong enough for plier usage. :-\

If the blade would damage the SS screw wouldn't brass be damaged even faster? Take a look at the blade pivot hole, maybe it was damaged to create a burr. Also try polish the inner surface of the pivot.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #67 on: May 11, 2010, 02:41:11 AM

If the blade would damage the SS screw wouldn't brass be damaged even faster? Take a look at the blade pivot hole, maybe it was damaged to create a burr. Also try polish the inner surface of the pivot.

The blade pivot hole looks really smooth J. :-\ I'll try polishing it of course. But what I've found on some of the original stainless steel firearms from the early 1970's is that certain stainless-on-stainless moving parts just tend to naturally gall, especially if they happen to be the same "grade" of material. Nowadays they tend to make parts that rub against one another out of two different grades to avoid galling. So I'm hoping brass pivots will work better, even though they will be weaker than the steel ones.

I'll test it first of course. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: May 11, 2010, 02:44:47 AM
thts awesome, did you have to push fit the thumb studs?

Yes, I just pressed the threaded screw into place by clamping over it in a vise. The threads wedged into the hole tightly, so I think it should be plenty secure enough. :)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #69 on: May 11, 2010, 03:12:13 AM
That could be too, one of my wenger ranger has the main blade grind horribly against the lock liner for no apparent reason.

Given your vast resources, could you make one out of 300 series SS, or even titanium?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: May 11, 2010, 03:28:37 AM
That could be too, one of my wenger ranger has the main blade grind horribly against the lock liner for no apparent reason.

Given your vast resources, could you make one out of 300 series SS, or even titanium?

My vast resources coughed up a piece of brass pin stock. I'm gonna try that first :D

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #71 on: May 16, 2010, 02:09:31 PM
so hows the problem over coming going?
I

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #72 on: May 18, 2010, 01:37:44 PM
How about countersinking the other side of the blade and riveting the thumbstud in place...like a Victorinox bushing?

If you countersink something that thin on both sides, you end up with a sharp edge in the middle.  In order to get a smooth edge, he would have to counter-bore both sides, but it wouldn't be deep enough for the rivet to sit flush and retain it's strength. 

I would go with a countersink on the backside of the blade for a screw, and thread the thumbstud ala kershaw knives. 

But, Bob is the master, and unlike me, he has actually started his mod(s) whereas mine sits on the drawing board.  Kudos Bob, those scales look sweet!  I gotta get a mill, it's killing me that I can't machine my stuff in my shop, I have to wait until a CNC is free at my Uncle's foundry(which is never).

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: May 18, 2010, 01:41:32 PM
Does look sweet bob hope you sort the problem out sure you will, and this is one LM that needs a clip  :tu:

paul

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #74 on: May 21, 2010, 11:43:25 AM
Wow, you sure got some talent.
What tools are you using?

Perhaps we should start making the perfect Multitool.org Multi all together.  :pok:
T - `cause i like tea :)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #75 on: May 21, 2010, 12:13:09 PM
He's sickeningly good at this isn't he?

:D
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #76 on: May 21, 2010, 12:16:08 PM
Yep, makes me wish I went into tool making :D
I

Offline wvucyclist

Reply #77 on: June 09, 2010, 02:05:16 PM
I'm not a machinist, so there might be an obvious answer, but would some grease/lube be useful in preventing the galling?

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: June 09, 2010, 02:23:03 PM
Damn I'm impressed!    Other than being able to spell "titanium" I wouldn't have the slightest idea of where to start something like that.  Nice work buddy! :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #79 on: June 22, 2010, 11:40:50 PM
Then things were proceeding nicely again, until it became apparent that my pivot screws are too short. :cry: The ones I bought from www.knifekits.com are one half inch long:

Unfortunately, it appears they need to be just a little bit longer. :( These are already the longest ones knifekits sells, so I'll have to make my own.

Just curiously, what diameter are the pivot pins?

I have a coupla semi-børked Juices, and have been considering a layer mod, and really REALLY didn't wanna have to deal with peening pins!

(Before anybody asks: Knife, Scissors+Bottle Opener, Saw (yes, saw)+Awl, File. No serrated knife, no freakin' corkscrew. Basically, a KF4 with scissors instead of the serrated blade.)

I'm betting they're prolly some 300-series stainless. Too bad you couldn't harden them...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:48:24 PM by Gryffin »

Offline shot3gun

Reply #80 on: June 23, 2010, 01:35:18 AM
AMAZING!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: June 23, 2010, 03:26:11 AM
WOWSERS Bob , that is looking Brilliant  :drool: :drool: :drool:

I have been wondering about how hard it would be to put a thumb stud on a Buck110 I have on the way. Sounds a bit tricky :(

Bob GREAT work mate  :salute: :salute:

You have seen these right?  I have some and they work great on my 110's.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?89890-EZ-Stud

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #82 on: June 23, 2010, 04:07:38 AM

I have been wondering about how hard it would be to put a thumb stud on a Buck110 I have on the way. Sounds a bit tricky :(

No I have not  :o.
Thanks Sean I will try & track one down mate  :cheers: :cheers:

BTW BOB what is going on with the project  :pok: :pok: :pok:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: June 23, 2010, 04:39:08 AM

No I have not  :o.
Thanks Sean I will try & track one down mate  :cheers: :cheers:

BTW BOB what is going on with the project  :pok: :pok: :pok:

Nothing. :-\ Not one darn iota of progress in the last month, due to all the equipment at work being tied up on "company business." ::) (sigh) But I'll be back on it soon enough. :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: June 23, 2010, 04:42:47 AM
Then things were proceeding nicely again, until it became apparent that my pivot screws are too short. :cry: The ones I bought from www.knifekits.com are one half inch long:

Unfortunately, it appears they need to be just a little bit longer. :( These are already the longest ones knifekits sells, so I'll have to make my own.

Just curiously, what diameter are the pivot pins?

I have a coupla semi-børked Juices, and have been considering a layer mod, and really REALLY didn't wanna have to deal with peening pins!

(Before anybody asks: Knife, Scissors+Bottle Opener, Saw (yes, saw)+Awl, File. No serrated knife, no freakin' corkscrew. Basically, a KF4 with scissors instead of the serrated blade.)

I'm betting they're prolly some 300-series stainless. Too bad you couldn't harden them...

The Juice pins are 5/32 (or .156") in diameter. Unfortunately though, they are just slightly too short to work on a tool of Kf4 thickness.  :( You would have to drop one whole layer in order for these pins to work.  >:(

I'm not willing to do that, so I'll be making my own (longer) ones out of brass. I'll crank out a few extras if you want. :)

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #85 on: June 23, 2010, 05:28:03 AM
I'm not willing to do that, so I'll be making my own (longer) ones out of brass. I'll crank out a few extras if you want. :)

Dude, I would be forever in your debt!!!

:salute:   :cheers:

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #86 on: June 27, 2010, 10:42:12 PM
 :pok:

made the new pins yet bob?
I

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #87 on: June 28, 2010, 08:53:51 PM

Yeah, what he said  :pok:
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: June 29, 2010, 02:47:19 AM

Yeah, what he said  :pok:

Nope. :( All the machinery at work is tied up right now doing "company" work. :P

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Reply #89 on: July 02, 2010, 08:50:04 AM
Hats off to you, your Juice mod is turning out absolutely great  :salute: You pay attention to detail, much like myself. I am a big fan of thumbstuds. Looking forward to seeing it completed.....

~ evil ~
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21