Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox SAK "seconds"?

Offline maverick

• New User
Victorinox SAK "seconds"?
on: August 02, 2007, 10:49:11 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here and just started getting into collecting SAKs.  I'm focusing just on Victorinox at the moment, and have a question.  Does Victorinox, either officially or unofficially, sell seconds or otherwise less than full retail quality SAKs but still featuring all the same trademark logos?  I live in Hong Kong and there are a lot of Victorinox SAKs available at very low prices.  Everything down to the box and instruction manuals look like genuine Victorinox.  Apart from the low price, the only physical issue that made me slightly suspicious were small bits of metal debris stuck on the woodsaw teeth.  The debris would come off just from lightly scraping it with my finger, so perhaps it is just a normal by-product of the manufacturing process?  What do you guys think?  And yes it seems to have all the correct engravings on the large blade! Thanks.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Victorinox SAK "seconds"?
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 11:06:39 PM
There is victorinox's econo line which basically have cheaper nylon scales, but of the same sort of quality as regular cellidor sak's, and available in alot of the more popular models ie camper, huntsman ect ect :)

If no one beats me too it'll, i'll post some link,s tommorow for ya mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 12:22:29 AM
Welcome to the forum Maverick!  Here are a few other links that the budding SAK Collector should check out:

www.SOSAKOnline.com - Homepage of the Secret Order of Swiss Army Knives, the world's largest SAK enthusiast association

www.SAKWiki.com - The Online SAK Encyclopedia

As for "factory seconds" I do not believe that Victorinox officially sells any seconds whatsoever.  There have been a few economy lines over the years, some of which are identifiable by the nylon scales and painted on or burned in shields, while others have solid plastic scales with no toothpicks or tweezers.  These are older though- the current economy lines have textured nylon scales similar to the ones found on the 111mm series.

The small pieces of metal are sometimes found on new saws, similar to the way new car or bike tires have those little rubber "hairs" sticking off them.  They are indeed a by product of the manufacturing process.

While I don't endorse knockoffs, if the tool is of decent quality, and is cheap enough, I'd probably take it.  Quality has a feel to it, and if it feel like quality, it probably is.  The name doesn't do the cutting, sawing etc any more than the pretty red on my car makes it go faster.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline zackhugh

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 12:58:54 AM

<SNIP>...The name doesn't do the cutting, sawing etc any more than the pretty red on my car makes it go faster.

Def

Blasphemy!  It is a scientific fact that flames painted on a car make it go faster.   ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 02:36:24 AM
The kids who hang out at the local donut shop after dark sure seem to think so...

Funny how they sit there in those little import racers that go real fast, while smoking dope to make their minds go real slow.  ::)

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 09:16:17 AM
Here is a link as an example of an econoline sak...

http://www.tooled-up.com/ManProduct.asp?PID=12039&MAN=Victorinox-Camper-Matt-Red-Swiss-Army-Knife-13-Functions-33613bp

and if you go to page 17 of 57 on the victorinox catalogue (you need to download a pdf first) you,ll see the econoline range...

http://www.victorinox.ch/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=459&lang=E

hope this helps mate :)

Offline maverick

• New User
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 07:12:45 PM
Thanks for the help everyone.  It seems as though my SAKs are the real thing. 

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 02:22:42 AM
I like the scales on my "economy" SAK better than the cellidor...the nylon is more tactile.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 02:31:48 AM
Yeah that's the general consensus in SOSAK as well.

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 06:41:40 AM
Blasphemy!  It is a scientific fact that flames painted on a car make it go faster.   ;D

So do stickers!  Each sticker adds 1hp :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 09:45:38 AM
Blasphemy!  It is a scientific fact that flames painted on a car make it go faster.   ;D

So do stickers!  Each sticker adds 1hp :)
the colour red's got to be at least ten mph faster!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 04:46:03 PM
 For speed what you really want is Bondo,and primer! Many years ago I had a '69 El Camino with a 396 under the hood,after Mrs Bison drove it at 50 MPH past the Ashland Ky police dept HQ,I banned her from driving it again.Yessiree bob,primer sure adds speed!

Back to SAKs,as much as I love the pretty sheen of new Cellidor,nylon scales can't be beat for use in certain environments.
I

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 06:14:20 PM
For speed what you really want is Bondo,and primer! Many years ago I had a '69 El Camino with a 396 under the hood,after Mrs Bison drove it at 50 MPH past the Ashland Ky police dept HQ,I banned her from driving it again.Yessiree bob,primer sure adds speed!

Back to SAKs,as much as I love the pretty sheen of new Cellidor,nylon scales can't be beat for use in certain environments.
of all the scales i like the onyx the best, it,s just so moody and dark,

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 06:15:07 PM

I agree. Nothing breaks my heart more than the pretty sheen of new cellidor, scratched and gouged from the first time I drop it on the cement floor in the shop.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 06:18:03 PM
The first scratch is always the hard one- beyond that they become character marks.

Def

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 06:31:50 PM
The first scratch is always the hard one- beyond that they become character marks.

Def
wear your scars with pride ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 06:36:32 PM
My scars I don't mind...

Tool and SAK scars hurt!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 07:26:59 PM
I think the nylon scales wear scars better than the cellidor...it's like character marks on a Jeep compared to a Mercedes...on a Jeep you're like "wow, this thing is rugged"...you see a muddy scratch on a Mercedes you're like :o
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 07:38:34 PM
That's what I love about the current trend in upscale SUV's.  Can you imagine rock rash on a Lincoln Navigator?   :twak:

I'll stick to regular off roaders, thank you!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 09:59:52 PM
That's the reason I prefer stainless steel finished multitools to black oxide. The stainless gets scratched up, it looks like a rugged user. The black oxide gets scratched up (a lot quicker) and it just looks like crap.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 10:19:54 PM
Can you imagine rock rash on a Lincoln Navigator?   :twak:

Or a tear in the Italian leather seats :ahhh
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 04:12:44 PM
Bison56,  Your wife got pulled over by Ashland PD?  I got pinched by the KY highway patrol around Ashland.  73 in a 55.  I swear it was because of the decal on the truck it really adds speed.

If the rear end of a car is "jacked up."  You get better gas mileage because you are always going down hill.  I it really works.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%