Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PDA's

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: PDA's
Reply #30 on: September 07, 2022, 10:28:33 AM
Wow, you have me beat!

I don't think I have any of mine anymore, but I started with a Palm III, then an M125.... I think.  There was a Tungsten E I think, a Sony Clie, and an iPaq in there as well before making the jump to Windows CE machines.

When my last one died I made the jump to Smart Phones, which were brand new at the time and I replaced it with an HTC One, which was supposed to stand up to the original iPhone.  We can see who the survivor of that battle was!

I miss Palm devices.  Modern phones are better at just about everything, buy they just don't have the soul of the original Palm OS.  Or the battery life.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 10, 2022, 02:24:55 AM
I don't have any of mine any more either.  They were really ahead of their time.  They actually started the smart phone industry with the Trios and had quite a developer network back in the day. 
RIP Palm.
- Steve

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: September 10, 2022, 11:41:17 PM
If someone was to pick up the old Palm OS and release a new phone based on an updated version of it, I'd be all over it! 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: September 11, 2022, 05:16:15 AM
I wonder what would have happened if Palm had put phone capability into the TX? They would have beat the release of the iPhone by two years.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: September 11, 2022, 12:12:12 PM
Well, Blackberry beat everyone to the punch with smartphones and still failed miserably.  There is a strong possibility that Palm could have made similar mistakes.  After all, Windows CE was a very popular platform at the time too, and most devices even beyond PDA's ran on that.  Hell, even my Garmin GPS was running WinCE.  And then Microsoft dropped the ball on the smartphone market too.

IPhone wasn't revolutionary for being a smartphone, what made it special was the App store.  I recall having to buy Palm software at Staples, on a CD and then load it onto my Palm from my PC.  Imagine trying to do that nowadays?   :ahhh

I hate to give credit to Jobs for actually doing something positive, but the App store is what really kicked off the smart phone revolution.  Blackberry didn't have it and they died out despite their dominant market share.  Windows didn't have it despite their extremely diverse platform and they died out.  Apple started it and, several years after Google joined the game, started a more accessible app store and became more widespread than Apple.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%