Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I love my Climber!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
I love my Climber!
on: May 05, 2010, 03:27:58 PM
Just wanted to say that.  Yes I love my Cadets. Yes I love my Explorer Plus.  And yes, I love all my SAK's in general.  But I really, really love my Climber.  It's just about the PERFECT EDC.  Scissors, two knife blades, the screw drivers, etc.  All in a nice compact little package.  Not too thick, not too thin.  Awl works very well.  Corkscrew, well I havne't actually had to use that yet, but if I do I know it will be great.  And that little hook is great for picking up your headphones when you drop them behind a dresser and don't feel like moving the darn thing. :)  It's just a great all around SAK.  I think I wanna collect those next.  I'm not sure how many variations there are, but I'd settle for scale colors.  :)  Oh..and Stay Glow scales...ROCK!!!! 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: I love my Climber!
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 03:31:29 PM
I have to say that the climber is one SAK i sold that i regret as is a very handy SAK  :tu:

paul

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:03:31 PM
The Climber was the second Vic I ever owned (after a Waiter) and it's still one of my favourites. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 05:06:25 PM
Its one of my favourites too and I often carry one .

Dunc

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 05:30:37 PM
you can look for the fisrt models without the hook  and plain awl, or the ones with pics of switzerland in the scales!  :cheers:
custom swiss army knives

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 08:24:32 PM
you can look for the fisrt models without the hook  and plain awl, or the ones with pics of switzerland in the scales!  :cheers:
ohh good idea!
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

ca Offline gunga

Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:27:14 PM
I do really like the climber, I had one after my huntsman, never used the saw anyways!  But... I think I prefer the compact now, slimmer, trimmer, and does most of the same things (but the combo tool is not as effective as the Vic can opener).

Offline BigFatTon

Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 10:11:33 PM
Can we get an Alox Climber already?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:16:49 PM
I'd like it better if it came with a saw :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

de Offline Jmora

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 11:22:02 PM
It was my first SAK, and is still my edc. Unlike many people I find the corkscrew absolutely essential, you could argue that most wines are screwtops nowadays, but plastic or original corks are still common enough. Have no use for the hook though.
If you want a scale variation - these bavarian scales are relatively commonplace (in Bavaria that is)
bayerisch.jpg
* bayerisch.jpg (Filesize: 31.31 KB)

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 11:29:02 PM
It was my first SAK, and is still my edc. Unlike many people I find the corkscrew absolutely essential, you could argue that most wines are screwtops nowadays, but plastic or original corks are still common enough. Have no use for the hook though.
If you want a scale variation - these bavarian scales are relatively commonplace (in Bavaria that is)

Not to derail, but are you serious about some wines being screwtops now?  Boxes are bad enough, but a proper wine should come with a cork.  :(

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 11:33:10 PM

Not to derail, but are you serious about some wines being screwtops now?  Boxes are bad enough, but a proper wine should come with a cork.  :(

I've seen several California wines recently with screw tops.  :-\
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 11:33:44 PM
Awl works very well.

So, Awl's well then?  :D
- Terry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 11:40:53 PM

I've seen several California wines recently with screw tops.  :-\
Screw caps are very common in Europe now, I'd even say that they are now the norm. :(  In fairness there's nothing wrong with them, they are far more reliable than cork and far easier to open, but it's just not the same. :-\

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 11:57:02 PM
Awl works very well.

Oh, that was bad.   :rofl: But it's awlright.  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 11:58:47 PM
Awl works very well.

Enough with the puns, we've done them awl! :twak:

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 11:59:16 PM

Saz, derailing is the name of the game around here so you go right ahead.  :D

Oh Yeeeeessssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool: Please?????  That would be awesome!  Out of curiosity, do any of the Alox SAK's besides the Classics have backspring tools?  

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 12:00:02 AM
Awl works very well.

LOL!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 12:02:21 AM

Oh Yeeeeessssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool: Please?????  That would be awesome!  Out of curiosity, do any of the Alox SAK's besides the Classics have backspring tools?  

Other than the 74mm stuff I'm gonna have to say no, I don't think so. :think:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 12:05:05 AM

Not to derail, but are you serious about some wines being screwtops now?  Boxes are bad enough, but a proper wine should come with a cork.  :(

Other than the 74mm stuff I'm gonna have to say no, I don't think so. :think:

Except for those odd birds.  Actually, I thought there was a special run of alox Climbers... I have the picture somewhere on my external hard drive, I think.

[Edit:  The only references I'm seeing is the similar alox Wenger Traveler; I'll go snoping around my hard drive sometime soon and see if I can find it, though. :)]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:15:24 AM by Sazabi »

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 12:08:28 AM
It's got Scissors so it's Good!  

Due to a twist of fate though my desk knife at home is a SuperTinker.  I have a small pile of Climbers though. You can also collect the smaller 84mm Climbers, I really like those ones as well.  These are compasionate knives, as they often give up a scissors layer for a Alox brother or sister in need; you have to respect and honor that.

Adding Plus scales to the Climber is also nice, or go whole hog and get a Voyager.... after all it's really just a Climber with some electronics in one scale, but it also gets you a pen, a straight-pin, and mini screwdriver.  Seems like they were being cleared out as the newer, much more expensive, electronic-scale models were introduced.

Looks like lots of collecting options just around the Climber.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 12:41:51 AM
I really want some 84mm climbers...I think they'd probably be just perfect for me.  I just can't find them anywhere.  And at some point I will get a voyager, maybe i'll ask for that for Christmas.  :)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 03:34:04 AM
Awl works very well.

So, Awl's well then?  :D
Oh, that was bad.   :rofl: But it's awlright.  :D

Oh, well. ::) Awl's well that ends well....

84mm Climbers are  :tu:.  Keep looking!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 03:37:49 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

de Offline Jmora

Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 03:24:45 PM
another scale variation 'Schloss Neuschwanstein' (the bavarian castle which Disney based theirs on):
http://cgi.ebay.de/Taschenmesser-Victorinox-/170482926700?cmd=ViewItem&pt=DE_Sport_Camping_Outdoor_Campingmesser_werkzeug&hash=item27b193046c

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 03:28:25 PM
FYI, I have a bunch of Climbers if anyone is interested..... :tu:
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 08:38:03 PM
Reeeeeealllly????  :)   :think:

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 08:42:30 PM
Reeeeeealllly????  :)   :think:

+1  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 10:11:01 PM
Well this thread has had me carrying my wooden scaled Climber for the last day. :D

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 10:14:00 PM
Well this thread has had me carrying my wooden scaled Climber for the last day. :D

pics?

i still lack a useable full sized sak :/  :rofl: been looking at mountainers or maybe a farmer
I

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 10:26:33 PM

pics?

i still lack a useable full sized sak :/  :rofl: been looking at mountainers or maybe a farmer
You don't have a SAK yet?  :o Shame on you. :twak:

;)

The only pic I have is this one.  Not showing it to it's best I'm sorry to say.

After market oak scales as done by DaveK. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%