Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

WD40?

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Re: WD40?
Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 10:08:10 PM
Where to get food grade mineral oil?  :think: thanks guys  :cheers:

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 10:20:21 PM

Look in a pharmacy; they're sold as laxatives, but it's all the same. :)

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 10:32:29 PM

A pharmacy? Hmm! I think I'll take my tool along and show them exactly what wants lubricating,I don't want them to get the wrong idea  :think:  :D

us Offline Rhino1227

Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 02:52:55 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the great feedback.  Seems like there is some divide over the effectiveness of WD40 as a lubricant. Well, I'll have to invest in some nano oil and mineral oil to compliment the WD40. By the way, my wife is now convinced I am a total loser for asking you guys about lubing my MTs.

Ryan

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 03:05:20 AM
I personally wouldn't ever consider lubricating anything with WD-40.  It is designed to displace water, not lubricate.

Though commonly repeated, this is not completely true. Not only will it help disperse water, it will also lubricate. It's even advertised as such. Really, is there any reason to believe that WD40 will not lubricate? Look it up. It's just thinned oil. I suppose it won't work well in the crankcase of an old Ford. But for knives and hand tools, it works just fine.

This same nonsense goes on with bicyclists. Mention WD40 as a chain lube on bike forum, and watch about half the heads explode, claiming a whole litany of reasons it will destroy your precious bike, usually starting with the trope, "...but it's designed to displace water!". The other half will say they've used it for years and never noticed anything bad as a result.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. WD-40 does indeed have some lubricative properties - no doubt. But to suggest that it is on a par with purpose designed oils just isn't right.

I don't think anyone's suggested that it will do any harm to multitools, but it clearly isn't as effective a lubricant as say, the gun oils, nano-oil and others that have been mentioned. In fact, WD-40 actually produce "3-IN-ONE" PTFE products that often sit on the same shelf in hardware stores, and it is this that is marketed as "Ideal for chains, cables and gear mechanisms". The WD-40 can says "Stops Squeaks, Drives Out Moisture, Cleans and Protects, Loosens Rusted Parts and Frees Sticky Mechanisms".

Don't get me wrong, I use WD40 a hell of a lot for releasing seized tools, cleaning and ensuring moisture has been dealt with on tools that I restore - it's great stuff. But one of the above oils will provide efficient lubrication for longer on a multitool, which is why I switched from using WD-40.

Hey guys, thanks for all the great feedback.  Seems like there is some divide over the effectiveness of WD40 as a lubricant. Well, I'll have to invest in some nano oil and mineral oil to compliment the WD40. By the way, my wife is now convinced I am a total loser for asking you guys about lubing my MTs.

Ryan

Ah, what do they know ;)
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 04:42:23 AM

A pharmacy? Hmm! I think I'll take my tool along and show them exactly what wants lubricating,I don't want them to get the wrong idea  :think:  :D

Ya dont lube tools with that stuff , slippery but very latex unfriendly !

Chris

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #36 on: May 08, 2010, 06:24:25 PM

Mineral oil is also known as liquid paraffin or heavy paraffin oil (at least that's how it's marketed around here).

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 11:12:03 AM
How about graphite powder? I used to use on a doorlock that did not run smooth and the difference was stunning! I'm out of it bit I would sure try it on a MT. Any experience with that? The best part about this, is that it is dry.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 09:20:49 PM
When I was asking around for mineral oil for my MTs, a local weaponsmith suggested a graphite-powder-based product. He couldn't vouch it was food-safe though... :-\

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 02:39:54 PM
It is made out of carbon I guess. The building blocks of life, so you should be safe  ;)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 03:30:54 PM
3 in 1 works wonders in moderation.  It's kinda easy to over use it though.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 04:04:23 PM
I personally wouldn't ever consider lubricating anything with WD-40.  It is designed to displace water, not lubricate.

Though commonly repeated, this is not completely true.

Yes, that statement is completely true.  WD-40 was not designed as a lubricant.  It was designed specifically to displace water and prevent corrosion.  It does contain thin oil, but to lubricate is not it's primary use and should only be substituted for a proper lubricant as a last resort, IMO.  There are much better products desgined and manufactured specifically to lubricate.  Yes, there are many uses of WD-40 as claimed by the manufacturer, but it performs most of those "many uses" very poorly.

I was a bicycle mechanic for 10 years, and I told hundreds of customers to never apply WD-40 to their chains--for good reason.  I saw the results of its use (grime and resulting wear) and there are much better products widely available.  A chain lube should slough off dirt and grime, not gum up and attract it as WD-40 does.  

Call it nonsense if you will, but when asked for my advice I will continue to suggest that people use proper lubricants where they are needed.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 10:08:42 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 04:21:38 PM
I personally wouldn't ever consider lubricating anything with WD-40.  It is designed to displace water, not lubricate.

Though commonly repeated, this is not completely true.

Yes, that statement is completely true.  WD-40 was not designed as a lubricant.  It was designed specifically to displace water and prevent corrosion.  It does contain thin oil, but to lubricate is not it's primary use and should only be substituted for a proper lubricant as a last resort, IMO.  There are much better products desgined and manufactured specifically to lubricate.  Yes, there are many uses of WD-40 as claimed by the manufacturer, but it performs most of those "many uses" very poorly.

I was a bicycle mechanic for 10 years, and I told hundreds of customers to never apply WD-40 to their chains--for good reason.  I saw the results of its use (grime and resulting wear) and there are much better products widely available.  A chain oil should slough off dirt and grime, not gum up and attract it as WD-40 does.  

Call it nonsense if you will, but when asked for my advice I will continue to suggest that people use proper lubricants where they are needed.

Absolutely.  Penetrating oils and the like are fantastic for, well, penetrating, and they excel at displacing water but they are too thin to properly lube metal on metal.   I maintain that Nano oil or 3 in 1 are the best for any sak/mt.   Oh yea, and WD40 gunks up like a mother.  If you want to destroy(very slowly) your MT, keep using it.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 05:04:18 PM
Absolutely.  Penetrating oils and the like are fantastic for, well, penetrating, and they excel at displacing water but they are too thin to properly lube metal on metal.

In my experience, WD-40 isn't a good penetrating oil either.  I'll take a specific penetrating oil such as PB Blaster or Kroil over WD any day.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:06:11 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 05:40:47 PM
Absolutely.  Penetrating oils and the like are fantastic for, well, penetrating, and they excel at displacing water but they are too thin to properly lube metal on metal.

In my experience, WD-40 isn't a good penetrating oil either.  I'll take a specific penetrating oil such as PB Blaster or Kroil over WD any day.

KROIL!  good stuff.  Yea, WD40 is much better as a cleaner and water displacer.

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: May 18, 2010, 01:07:23 AM

KROIL!  good stuff.  Yea, WD40 is much better as a cleaner and water displacer.
I agree :tu:

us Offline Multiple Personality

Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 07:06:26 PM
It's just my personal preference guys but I would really recommend trying some G96 Gun Treatment.  I've been using it almost 20 years now.  It doesn't get gummy like WD-40 and it cleans and lubes. (www.g96.com)

us Offline TxSxB

Reply #47 on: June 04, 2010, 09:05:13 PM
I use WD-40 on my tackle box MT, but only because its always in my tackle box, WD cleans and lubes reels very nicely and it can do wonders as a fish attractant :tu:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: June 04, 2010, 10:35:17 PM
WD-40, but not the aerosol.  I buy the gallon size container.  All oil, no propellent.

And I happen to LIKE my tools smelling that way!
- Steve

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #49 on: April 16, 2017, 06:50:04 AM
Hello guys. Sorry to revive this old thread. I was at my local hardware store and saw these WD-40 lubricants. Which of these two works better for my Leatherman-- Silicone or Dry Lube?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:32:08 AM by an0nemus »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: April 16, 2017, 08:50:01 AM
Of the two I'd go with the Silicone as I think it would be the better penetrator, but that's just a gut feeling.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #51 on: April 16, 2017, 09:39:34 AM
Of the two I'd go with the Silicone as I think it would be the better penetrator, but that's just a gut feeling.
Here's a close up of the two and their features.

FWIW, Silicone is US$7, while Dry Lube is US$8.

I guess either will do the job?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #52 on: April 16, 2017, 09:42:27 AM

That's what she said.  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: April 16, 2017, 10:53:32 AM

:doh:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: April 16, 2017, 11:44:49 AM
 :rofl:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #55 on: April 16, 2017, 01:20:14 PM
😂😂😂

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: April 16, 2017, 03:18:09 PM

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #57 on: April 17, 2017, 06:46:12 PM

:facepalm:
   +
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: April 17, 2017, 07:26:10 PM

:facepalm:
   +

::)

Also in true MTO fashion get both :whistle:

Then let us know which is better :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!