Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"bits" of a larger project....

evil510 · 98 · 13320

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Re: "bits" of a larger project....
Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 07:23:08 AM
This is a 1/4" socket driver bit that I made to fit into the bit card. I could of just ground the end of a standard 1/4" drive bit but the goal here was to have it fit into the bit card. If you ground the tip of a standard one flat, you would ruin the ball bearing/spring mechanism that holds a socket in place. I had found that some SOG's actually had something very similar to what I had in mind. I also found that it was a common complaint that the spring on it was prone to falling off fairly easy. After some trial and error, I came up with a stronger, thicker spring design that won't come off without using two implements to pry it off from both sides. I like it well enough that I just may make a permanent fold out version for my wave and my surge.....

~ evil ~

Close-up of spring mechanism.....

Here it is in the bit card.....

With a socket.....

That's awesome. You could make a killing selling those here.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 10:15:36 AM
Evil is it obvious when you have over heated something & it has lost its temper , how do you tell  :think:
Some signs are more obvious than others. Discoloration is often a tell-tale sign. If you are just going to constantly dip to keep the metal cool every so often, then water should suffice. If you are going to cool the metal as you are cutting there are many options as mentioned above. I always try to work cost-effectively. What I use is a mixture of water, oil and soap circulating through a cheap parts washer that I work over. The soap allows the oil to mix with the water... and for less than about 50 cents a gallon. Your mileage may vary.....

Like Neil said. If you have a drill press you will want to really crank down the speed. I have an old school drill press too where I have to lift the lid and change belt positions. I have even slowed mine down even more with an inline electronic speed control for when I work with other materials. While many will tell you that you need to let the tool do the work and this holds true the majority of the time, I have found that this is not always so when drilling through stainless. It takes considerable downward pressure in order to get the bit to bite and continually cut. You can have a new, sharp drill bit... without enough downward pressure you'll be there forever just spinning. Keep in mind these are just my opinions and things that have worked for me.....

Airbrush  ::) I have the funds squirreled away, know which one to get (thanks mate  :D) & a rough plan.
Missing the courage  ::) :D.Current plan involves me getting the Pulse & a couple of Micras under my belt , if I am happy with my work I will tart them up with a bit of pimping  :D :D
Depending on which airbrush you end up with... if we ever do a sale or trade on here, I will throw in some accessories for you. I reprofile my own needles and fab my own crown tips, even custom handles for some of them.....

Thanks for the tips , again  :D :tu:, Evil  :cheers:.
I got a bottle of cutting/drilling lubricant that was not too dear. The drill bits I have got are Cobalt but described as 'High Speed drill bits'. Fast or slow on my Drill press (its a new made in China basic model press) :think: :think:.

I am fairly happy with the shaping I have done on my SAK saw into Pulse project , doing the locking groove is a real challenge. Trial & error have lead me to find the best Dremal cutting wheel (initially the wheel I was using was too thick).I am hopping on Sunday ,if I do not get called into work, I will drill the SAK saw & see how it fits  :D :D.

Thanks for the trade offer Evil , I am still working up the courage to get the AirBrush  ::) :D :D

BTW mate those modded bits look tops. Your mods are mighty impressive mate  :salute: :salute:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 10:55:02 AM
This is a 1/4" socket driver bit that I made to fit into the bit card. I could of just ground the end of a standard 1/4" drive bit but the goal here was to have it fit into the bit card. If you ground the tip of a standard one flat, you would ruin the ball bearing/spring mechanism that holds a socket in place. I had found that some SOG's actually had something very similar to what I had in mind. I also found that it was a common complaint that the spring on it was prone to falling off fairly easy. After some trial and error, I came up with a stronger, thicker spring design that won't come off without using two implements to pry it off from both sides. I like it well enough that I just may make a permanent fold out version for my wave and my surge.....

Now that is a mod I could use!

Excellent work Evil  :cheers:
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 11:16:34 AM

+1  :drool:

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 03:19:28 AM
Any plans on producing some of these for resale?
SAW

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 04:47:39 AM
Mat here is a place that sells carbide bits for 20.00 http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6543/Product/3_FLUTE_CARBIDE_DRILL

I use Napa water soluble cutting and grinding oil #765-1526
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 08:14:40 AM

+1  :drool:

x2  :drool:  amazing work evil  :tu:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 04:14:25 PM
Mat here is a place that sells carbide bits for 20.00 http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6543/Product/3_FLUTE_CARBIDE_DRILL

I use Napa water soluble cutting and grinding oil #765-1526
[/quote

Thanks Mike  :cheers: , I have found carbide tipped masonry bits work quite well  :o 8).
Just lacking shed time   :( :(

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Reply #38 on: June 21, 2010, 04:24:39 AM
Any plans on producing some of these for resale?
Hey sawman. I just barely saw your post just now lol. At the moment, no, I simply don't have the means to do so... if I had a machine shop, I definitely would. This modding multitool stuff has started to snowball here in my real life and have had other people wanting me to mod theirs as well. It is a newfound hobby that I definitely wish I had more time for.....

~ evil ~
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:55:00 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 06:08:34 AM
yeah if you sold those scissors and awls I would be all over them like a fat kid on a birthday cake. 

us Offline evil510

Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 12:39:23 AM
Hey gang. Evil here again. With a lot of the work that I do, I am constantly getting metal splinters. I set out to fabricate a set of capable tweezers that would fit into the bit card. Small, yet grip very strong... tips tapered, ground and polished to grab even the smallest of splinters firmly.....

~ evil ~

Full view.....

Close-up view of tips.....

Installed in the bit card. Slot modded into a rectangular shape.....
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:41:00 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline sawman

Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 02:37:32 AM
I can see how that could be extremely useful.  Splendid work Evil  :cheers:
SAW

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #42 on: August 15, 2010, 07:15:10 AM
Very nice work once again Evil..   :salute:

us Offline sawman

Reply #43 on: August 15, 2010, 11:18:05 AM
If I were Leatherman, I would hire someone like Evil even if I didn't use all their ideas.  At least there'd be a panel of super creative people on the payroll and between all of them you could make the best possible multitools  :think:
SAW

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 08:33:52 PM
Clever idea :tu: 
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline evil510

Re: "bits" of a larger project....dental picks
Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 06:54:49 PM
I often use dental picks for various tasks, from daily cleaning jobs of airguns and airbrushes to replacing o-ring seals just to name a few. This is a double-ended pick that I fabricated to fit in the bit card. D2 toolsteel. I often misplace my picks, now I'll always have picks with me.....

~ evil ~

Full view.....

Another full view.....

Close-up of straight end.....

Close-up of curved end.....

CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010, 07:37:53 PM
 :pok: Sometimes nothing beats a pokey stick :D

Nice work as usual  :salute:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 30, 2010, 08:02:37 PM
Epic work as usual. I think I need to hire you to make a 154CM blade for the Squirt

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #48 on: August 30, 2010, 09:21:13 PM
You really do have some great ideas  :salute:

I think the fitting stuff in to the bit card is also quite brilliant  :cheers:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline TheRodfather

Reply #49 on: August 30, 2010, 10:57:21 PM
Love the dental tool idea.  Definitely a handy item to have

us Offline evil510

Reply #50 on: August 31, 2010, 12:25:26 AM
:pok: Sometimes nothing beats a pokey stick :D

Nice work as usual  :salute:
Thanks Neil! Yeah, you never know when you'll need to poke something.....

Epic work as usual. I think I need to hire you to make a 154CM blade for the Squirt
Thanks Andreas. Kinda ironic you should say that as I have recently acquired enough blade steel to fabricate new blades to replace all the blades on my Wave, Surge and Skeletool with blades of my own design. Due to workload though, it'll probably be a while before I can get around to doing so.....

You really do have some great ideas  :salute:

I think the fitting stuff in to the bit card is also quite brilliant  :cheers:
Thank you as always Nuphoria!.....

Love the dental tool idea.  Definitely a handy item to have
Yes, they have definitely proven handy.....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: August 31, 2010, 03:18:47 AM
Every time I think you've come up with the last possible useful item that would fit in a bit card Evil, you show us another one! :salute: Impressive work and impressive ideas. :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #52 on: August 31, 2010, 05:47:41 AM
Very nice. You do stellar work :dd:
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #53 on: August 31, 2010, 06:16:47 AM
Outstanding as usual. You're going to need to hit the lotto to get all them patents!

Now how about a back-scratcher attachment?   ;)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 31, 2010, 07:27:56 AM
I actually have a bit card tool that you're missing though! A pry bar :D

Used this quite a few times, and even though it's not as nice as something you would make from scratch from much better steel it hasn't given out on me yet.

us Offline evil510

Reply #55 on: August 31, 2010, 07:44:27 AM
Every time I think you've come up with the last possible useful item that would fit in a bit card Evil, you show us another one! :salute: Impressive work and impressive ideas. :tu:
Thank you Bob! I am always thoroughly impressed with all of your work  :salute:

Very nice. You do stellar work :dd:
Thank you Shane!

Outstanding as usual. You're going to need to hit the lotto to get all them patents!

Now how about a back-scratcher attachment?   ;)
Thank you Xelkos. The patent process isn't cheap, that's for sure. I am only considering a select few at the moment. Sorry, no back-scratcher, how about a glass scratcher? I am making a glass cutter for the bit card for someone.....

I actually have a bit card tool that you're missing though! A pry bar :D
Nice mod there Andreas. Actually, I do have one  ;) I just haven't finished the other side of the bit yet. Once that is done, I will share it with you all.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMING SOON: Gonna be posting a custom bit card.....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #56 on: August 31, 2010, 09:45:33 AM
i thought the dental pick was an evil looking can opener to begin with  :oops:  :D
I

us Offline evil510

Bottle opener and can opener for my bit card.....
Reply #57 on: September 04, 2010, 11:53:49 PM
Hey gang. Evil here yet again. If you've followed my posts, you'll know that I have removed the small bit driver and can openers from my Wave and my Surge. The small bit driver, obsolete since creating the precision bits for large bit driver. As for the can opener... I use a can opener next to never, however, I live by the mentality of always being prepared and don't like being without one. At first I made can openers to slip and lock into the ends of the Wave and Surge where the clip would normally go. This kind of left my Skeletool out of the loop if I wanted to open up cans. My bit cards follow me 100% of the time if I am carrying a tool with a bit driver. So, creating something for the bit card was in order. It would be able to be used for my Wave, Surge, Skeletool and my new pocket knife project. So, I set out to make a double ended bit with both a bottle opener and a can opener. I opted to use D2 toolsteel for this particular bit. Making either or may sound simple enough until you consider the room in which I have to work with.....

~ evil ~

The bottle opener was pretty straight forward, taking cues off of an old aluminum bottle opener that has served me well over the years. With a sharpened lip it grabs wonderfully. Simple yet very efficient. If you invert it, it doubles as a great beverage tab lifter.....

Lifting off a cap.....

Closer view.....

Lifting tab of beverage can.....

Ok, the bottle opener was the easy half of this project. As for the can opener... there were actually a lot of issues. If you look at the design of the can opener of most all multitools the throat itself in which you insert the lip of the can is fairly deep. These can openers are quite long as well with a large deep hook to have enough purchase on the bottom edge of the lip. Keep in mind that all of these bit mods I have been doing have to fit in a very small area of 1/4" height, 1/8" thickness and 7/16" depth... not very much room at all. It took me three prototypes to finally come up with a compact design that was efficient and functional. Simply miniaturizing the design of the standard multitool can opener was not a viable option. Because of the limitation of the depth of the throat, it teeter tottered in trying to cut and grab. Enter the P-38. The old tried and true military issue can opener that has stood the test of time. While it uses the same principle of a hook and blade, if differs in the way it grabs the lip of the can. The hook on a multitool can opener faces forward and grabs at an angle, this is part of what takes up a lot of that precious real estate that I need in order to make one of this size. The P-38 grabs the lip from the side, almost at a right angle. I actually find this more efficient, reliable and also gave me room to move the hook farther back. So, in taking cues off of both designs, I came up with my own..... For my new can opener, I designed a hook that is turned inwards, that grabs the lip at right angle and a cutting edge with a chisel grind. I know it may not look like much, but believe me, a lot of thought and work went into this little thing lol. Quite a bit of work for such a small piece that I won't use very often, however, I know that if/when the time arises that I ever needed one, I will be thankful that I made this. Ok, onward with the mod.....

I had to deal with a lot of complex angles in getting this this to perform just right. Up top is the chisel edge blade. I know it is difficult to tell from the photo, but the hook you see there is turned inwards towards the lip of the can. At the bottom you see a large bevel that was required for the can opener to follow the circular edge of the can when in use. You'll be better able to tell in the next photo the angle in which it works.....

Here is a view from the top. As you can see the whole can opener is angled. The cutting edge stays parallel to the lip of the can while the hook grabs the underside from a 90 degree angle.....

Here is a view of the backside. You can better see the curve of the tool from this angle as well as a rear view of the hook.....

Granted, the cut is only 3/16" per cut, however it does it well and it does it efficiently. Considering the can opener itself isn't much bigger than the average pinky fingernail, I think that is quite good. I don't use one all too often so this works out perfectly for me. The bottom line is it works. Photo of testing phase before I added bottle opener to other end.....

So there you have it folks. My version of a bottle opener and can opener all in one compact package that fits inside of the bit card.....  ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:07:07 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: September 05, 2010, 12:19:50 AM
Awesome as always! Think I know what kind of bottle opener you used as a model, looks very professional. I don't use either a can opener nor bottle opener myself, ever, but I can see how they are useful to have even if you just use it rarely :D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:30:27 AM by Andreas »

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #59 on: September 05, 2010, 12:25:09 AM
Another excellent idea, well executed sir  :salute:

You need to stop showing us all these goodies or start taking orders for them :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69