Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) M21-14 Knife

us Offline Splat

Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) M21-14 Knife
on: January 26, 2008, 06:28:41 PM

(guys, camera batteries are dead so pics will be forthcoming)

I received a CRK&T M21-14 knife two weeks ago from Fern Knives. They handled my order expediently and with no issues. OK, I gotta admit right off the bat, I love this knife! It is sleek, beautiful, and looks like it can take on anything. Pull the Carson Flipper with your Index Finger and you’re greeted with a very satiating “Click!” as the liner lock engages. Thanks to the Carson Flipper rapid deployment is much easier than you might think with a blade this big. If you’re a thumb-stud devotee you’re out of luck with the M21 line. The thumb studs are pretty much useless since they practically hug the handles. I don’t know what to call it but when closing the blade it snaps down/closed when you’re about 1/8” to fully closed. I think it’s ramped (someone correct my terminology if needed). This helps keep the blade closed inside the pocket. I carry tip-down and the blade hasn’t ever unexpectedly come out. This is a slim and sleek knife. However, even at 5.3” closed it fits my pocket just fine.

The blade isn't exactly a chisel-edge since it has a very, very small back edge.  Initially the factory edge didn’t feel that sharp to me but it’s probably due to this almost-chisel edge. It does cut very easily thru meat, boxes, paracord, rope, and plastic … everything I've thrown at it. It feels like it hasn’t lost any edge yet. I really like how the big belly cuts. I used the knife last night cutting up my dinner. With the spine being hefty you can choke up on it with your thumb for more acute cutting. I have since gotten a DMT Magna-Guide sharpening system. Probably due to its AUS8 steel, the blade is very easy to sharpen. I haven’t gotten the edge hair-shaving sharp, but it is very sharp.

CRKT espouses in its literature the LAWKS feature makes their knives a “virtual fixed blade.” I can’t agree 100% but I do get a secure feeling while handling the knife. The liner lock and autoLAWKS works flawlessly with zero blade play in any direction. I like the autoLAWKS. I don't see it as a fix for a sub-par lock as some people do. I see the autoLAWKS as a prevent in case your hand pushes over the liner while in hard or SD use. I would've liked to've seen the LAWKS' tang/stop that the liner hits just a bit longer and I wrote to CRK&T about this, but it does work in its current length just fine.

CRKT went with aluminum handles on the M21 line, and I’m glad. They feel indestructible in the hand and are surprisingly easy to get a grip on. I think the holes in the handles help. The size is perfect for my meat hooks. Everything is held together via Torx #6 & #8 screws. Stripping and cleaning this knife is easy. The pocket clip is Teflon plated stainless and has been holding up just fine with practically no signs of wear. You have four clip placement options. I like having the autoLAWKS lever facing outwards instead of rubbing against the inside pocket so I haven’t changed the factory placement. Lanyard fans note: I couldn’t find a good spot anywhere to attach a lanyard. Not a big deal to me though. The fit and finish of this knife is simply beautiful. I love the curves and look of the blade. I often find myself opening the blade and admiring the whole tool. It is a big knife but easy to EDC since it is slim. CRKT does have a smaller brother to this knife, the M21-02 PE and M21-12 combo-edge. With a 3” blade and 4.25” handle length this may be a better EDC option for some. CRKT really has a sweet, solid lineup with the M21 series. It’s brother, the M16 line, has many devotees and I can understand why. I highly recommend this knife.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:05:21 AM by Splat »
Splat

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
Re: Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) M21-14 Knife
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 04:27:10 AM
excellent review. :tu:
[

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Re: Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) M21-14 Knife