Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What about a small butane torch?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What about a small butane torch?
on: August 05, 2007, 01:13:50 AM
I got a call from a gentleman yesterday who found Multitool.org while combing the 'net to try and find a multitool with a wire stripper head and I started to wonder what other useful implements that you could add to a tool to help with the average home repair, and it occurred to me- what about a small butane torch?   You see these kinds of things all the time at Radio Shack and Home Depot, and it could double as a cigarette lighter, small welding torch, campfire starter etc.

Seems to me like it would be a handy addition, even if I had to sacrifice a couple of the "usual" more common implements to get one.  I know Victorinox tried it with the SwissFlame, CampFlame and XXLT and it kinda failed miserably, but that's more likely because the lighters were unreliable rather than them not being useful.

Anyone else want to see a small torch on a multitool, or should I just start taking my medicine again?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline zackhugh

Re: What about a small butane torch?
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 01:45:01 AM
I for one would love to see a butane lighter included in a multitool.  I had a couple of campflames and sold them even before I realized that they were problematic for Victorinox.  It seemed like a niche area where the lower-end lighter makers were including small implements and taking some of the Classic and smaller SAK market.

Only issue might be that butane lighters in general don't seem to be too reliable and that the approach with a disposable Bic (was that a Schrade tool?) might work best.  Still, I'd like to see someone try for something new.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 01:48:12 AM
I've been thinking about that because of the "outdoor scenerio" for the LM design contest. It seems like if you could make it work (small, reliable, refilable), that it could be a real benefit, and take a multi-tool that much closer to being an all-in-one package.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 02:45:48 AM
I realize they are less reliable than the average screwdriver, but one that accepted a brazier from a larger toolmaker would allow for an easily repaired/refurbished tool that the user could fix in moments.  I was thinking something like this rather than a small jetflame lighter:

These are usually about 8 to ten inches long, but that's to accommodate a significant butane cylinder.  If you cut the cylinder in half (or a quarter) I am certain you could probably get it easily into a larger tool like a PowerLock or Core.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 02:55:38 AM
How big around is that Pencil Torch?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 03:00:29 AM
I dunno about that one- it's another pic I stole from Google.  I have a similar one though, which is about 3/4" in diameter and about 8 inches long.  Of course much of the size is also a plastic cover to protect your hands.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 03:07:32 AM
Okay, I get it now. A miniaturized one about 1/4" diameter would make a interesting multitool implement, eh?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 03:27:53 AM
That's what I was thinking.  You could even dedicate an entire handle to it.  Have a tank that takes up about half the width and the entire length, then a folding brazier that tucks in neatly beside it.  The pivot pin would have to be designed with a small valve in it that allows the butane to travel from the tank to the brazier when it's opened.

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 06:12:28 AM
Haha... I've got that exact pencil torch.  It's huge and doesn't last very long.

I like the idea though!  I think I'd prefer something like a flint rod, or something like THIS.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 06:47:43 AM
This is probably a stupid question, but what is the huge pencil torch intended to be used for?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 03:25:18 PM
Why torching huge pencils of course....  ::)

They are usually used for electronics work, woodworking, burning fingers and simple plumbing repairs.  Pretty well anything you would use a full sized torch for but don't want to carry a big torch.

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 04:03:44 PM
I believe that a torch although useful has no place on a multitool.  The is not enough room there for enough fuel to make it useful for more than a very small amount of time.  A flame is a very critical part of survival equipment but one of those winproof butane lighters would be best.  At least in my opinion.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 05:03:35 PM
I guess that would depend on what it's intended use would be.  If it was marketed to electrical or plumbing contractors like the Paladin tools then a torch might be more useful.

For a survival situation, you are probably quite right.

Def

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 06:13:59 PM
I've been looking at Tool Logic knives, which all have something on the back of the single lockblade. They have flashlights, etc.

In fact, I've been wanting to get one with a diamond sharpener on the back.

Anyway, one has a fire starter.
EDIT: Ta da!

EDIT again:
Here's what I want-
http://www.toollogic.com/slp.htm
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 06:17:09 PM by Viper »
[

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 06:17:46 PM
I think if the aim of the implement is to start a fire, it is better putting a firestick on the multitool, it can be done in such a way as to not even take up a space if it is combined with another tool (e.g. on a round awl)

If the aim is to have a flame on the tool, then I think most people immediately make an assumption they shouldn't, and that is that the tool would be plier based. It doesn't need to be. It could very well be 'lighter based.' I am thinking that if it was so, instead of butterfly opening style, it would be more like a SAK configuration.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 06:32:03 PM
I really like the idea of having it built in to the tool, but I'd have to agree with CQC-7 that it doesn't seem very practical to me. What about making a space in the sheath for a lighter?

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 07:40:57 PM
Oh, I just remembered, I have a black SAKKO thatis like a thin Classic on one side, but on the other side, it has an old-fashioned butane lighter.
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 04:48:03 AM
There are some people out there that make really cool custom sheaths.  I have no doubt in my mind that a sheathmaker would gladly make one if you give the the specs.  I had a sheath made a few months back by vess leatherworks for my large spyderco folder.  The owner had a pretty cool selection of various sheaths that he offered.  I believe that the site was www.vessleatherworks.com.  My sheath was a custom job with a spring steel clip for easy on/off without removing my belt.  For an even cheaper option for carrying stuff I have a galco ankle wallet.  You can fit a lot of stuff comfortably without it being noticed that you are carrying a few spare items.  I can fit my full size strider folder, a few of those aluminum capsuels with my spare meds and even a small flashlight in there with a $20 and a few $1s and a spare key or two just in case I find myself in a bad situation.  IT is quite a bit smaller than my travel "bugout bag" not to mention more portable and lighter. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%