Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Peening technique, last side of the pin?

gunga · 18 · 2664

ca Offline gunga

Peening technique, last side of the pin?
on: May 10, 2010, 06:48:45 AM
Hey all.

I've done 2 SAK mods so far, 1 with a jig, the other without, for assembly. Overall the experience was a bit painful and pretty slow.  I am unsure how to get a good solid peen, especially on the last side.

So, whan you have 1 side peened and assembled, how do you hold the knife steady and peen the other side?  I end up getting a bit of twisting sometimes, especially with scissors at the end of the knife.  I get a bit of offset (slant), and grinding at the joint, even when it's not too tight.  The knife eventually settles down, expecially after a bit of adjusting, but I don't get the nice rivet filling peen I've seen in many threads.

Any peening tips and techniques?

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Peening technique, last side of the pin?
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:24:29 AM
Take this with a pinch of salt because I seem to be the only person who does it this way...   I personally do both sides at the same time.  I assemble the knife, cut the brass to the corect length and then start to peen one side and after a few blows flip it over and start on the other side, repeat until there is a hold and move onto the next pin.  I then move back to the first pin and complete the peeing, again flipping the knife after a few hammer blows.

Everyone is different and most do not do it this way but perhaps its a technique that will work for you as well.  Also what weight hammers are you using?  Perhaps they are too big?  Again I seem to use smaller hammers than most, which could explain why it still takes me some time to complete a SAK. ::)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 10:42:55 AM
Hmmm, not sure I'm super keen on that technique.

I use a 16 ounce ball peen.  That is the smallest size I could find.

I'm pretty slow, but perhaps unrealistically I'm expecting to be faster?  Or at least better (too quickly?).

I've only done 2 knives so far.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:25:15 PM
You'd be forgiven for not liking it, no one else seems to :)

That is a big hammer though.  The biggest I use is 8oz and I consider that my heavy weight, most of the time I use a 4oz and a 3oz. On alox I finish off with a 2oz.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 04:26:30 PM
My opinion is too much hammer and only two knives is not a whole lot of experience,,,you'll get better. Also you may be leaving too much pin stock to work with...skewed layers can often be the result of that.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 05:16:38 PM
My opinion is too much hammer and only two knives is not a whole lot of experience,,,you'll get better. Also you may be leaving too much pin stock to work with...skewed layers can often be the result of that.

That sounds likely to me as well.  You really don't need much to work with, no more than 1mm or so at most IMO.  Also make sure that the surface is flat and level before you start, either cut with a dremel cutting wheel or, if you snip it to length then file it flat.  I'd also look for a lighter hammer, I use a 6oz one myself.  I've also moved more to Sporks point of view that you shouldn't need the ball pien much, if at all.  Most of the time the flat face is all you'll need, the ball pien is really only needed if you are trying to make a domed head on the pin (on alox for example).

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 07:38:07 PM
Thanks.  Yes, I had too much stock left on the first knife, better on the 2nd.

I need to find some steel material for peening.  I have some aluminum, but it's my jig and I don't want to ruin it by bashing it to death.

Anyone know wher eto get smaller ball peen hammers (In Canada?).  I went to Home Depot and Can Tire and only found 16 and 32 oz.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:43:07 PM
My 4oz came off ebay, my 3oz from a car boot sale and 2oz from a jewellers.  So its flea markets, ebay and jewellery production suppliers you need to be checking.  None were expensive items :tu:

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 10:49:05 PM
I generally use an 8oz from start to finish. I have a 4oz, but don't use it as much.

I think Neil wins the prize for best looking assortment of hammers  :tu:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:23:51 PM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

ca Offline gunga

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 11:18:52 PM
That's cool.  I found a local tool shop that sells 8 oz.  I will try that next time.  Maybe be more precise so I can not mash my pins...

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 01:09:57 AM
Keep at it chap :tu:

Some people get it straight off and are obviously natural.  For you me and the rest, we have to bodge a few first to get the hang of it ;)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 01:26:44 AM
You need it to be licked by Swiss kittens to get a really perfect job at that delicate stage  ;)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 02:18:33 AM
You need it to be licked by Swiss kittens to get a really perfect job at that delicate stage  ;)

Are you sure it's not supposed to be done by an old goat herder named Hans...wearing Lederhosen smelling of cheese?

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 02:20:06 AM

Are you sure it's not supposed to be done by an old goat herder named Hans...wearing Lederhosen smelling of cheese?

:pok: Please be keeping your personal fantasies to yourself please ;)

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 02:25:20 AM

:pok: Please be keeping your personal fantasies to yourself please ;)

Is that for Nuph or me? :think:  :D

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 03:34:16 AM
Neil, just so that you do not feel alone with the peening both sides at the same time I just wanted to let you know that seems to work best for me as well.  The ones where I left one side intact and then tried to peen the other were much harder the ones where I did both sides together turned out with good walk and talk of blades and tools.  The key factor for me was being careful to cut them to the exact length, which actually looks like it is too short when you do it but thanks to all the great threads here it has worked for me on several knives up to three layers.

Offline scibeer

Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 07:29:43 AM
I use an 8 oz hammer all the time too.   Try to use light sharp blows to deform the ends of the pins without bowing them by hitting them too hard.   

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 01:47:42 PM
I have tried it Neil's way and I always end up with one pin that slants no matter what.  It is always at the lanyard ring end of the knife, and it always happens.  I have whittled my way down to leaving around 1mm of pin stock above the bushing and grinding that flat.   From what I have read here, my hammer is way to big.  My question is, what alternative is there to neil's method?  I can't seem to peen one side without it bending or something.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%