Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

84mm Tinker

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
84mm Tinker
on: May 19, 2010, 05:41:08 PM
A few weeks ago i bought a small 84mm Tinker at a swap meet for 5.00. This one is a little different than the small Tinker i already had. My new one does not have a tooth pick or tweezers. Any ideas?
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: 84mm Tinker
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 01:00:53 AM
Has the toothpic and tweezers become lost , or doesn't it have slots for them in the scales ?

Chris

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 01:41:41 AM
That would be a very nice knife.  I like solid scales.  I'm guessing that would be an 'economy' version as the early ones did not have T&T, or simply made at the time of the Standard or Early Spartans in 84-85 that did not have T&T so it would make sense that the small Officers at that time would not have them either.

Does it have a keyring?  If not it would be a small Standard, and the no T&T would make perfect sense.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:18:23 AM
Yes it has solid scales and it does have a key ring. Also the logo on the scale is standard medal logo not  painted.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 07:48:50 AM
Yes it has solid scales and it does have a key ring. Also the logo on the scale is standard medal logo not  painted.
Mike
The closest thing I have seen to that is the Swiss Army Brands Spartan (5064) that has solid scales and keyring.  I presume though that the Spartan's equivalent Officier's knife (as it is more commonly known in other markets), and maybe the small Officier you found were the norm for that time period; and the period might not be more than a year or two.  It's also possible the small officier aquired the keyring before the 91mm.

Sorry just lots of speculation, time to go hunt for more catalogs.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 08:21:04 AM
Mike
The closest thing I have seen to that is the Swiss Army Brands Spartan (5064) that has solid scales and keyring.  I presume though that the Spartan's equivalent Officier's knife (as it is more commonly known in other markets), and maybe the small Officier you found were the norm for that time period; and the period might not be more than a year or two.  It's also possible the small officier aquired the keyring before the 91mm.

Sorry just lots of speculation, time to go hunt for more catalogs.

I've never seen one in a catalog, but solid scales + key ring is not an uncommon combo for older Tinker Small knives. The Tinker Small is one of the most common 84mm knives, dating back into the 40s (one of my oldest knives is one). As such, it's not uncommon to see them in many varieties - no keyring w/T&T, no keyring w/ solid scales, etc. I looked and I have two Tinker Smalls with the combo of keyring/solid scales - one from the 60s where the keyring was the bail, and one from the early 70s with the more modern keyring attachment. The one from the 70s has the nickel-silver inlay and Victoria/clip point blade combo. Solid scales on the 84mm line seem to disappear by and large by the late 80s, so (just a guess) this knife is probably older than that. Post a picture and I can probably give you a rough estimate of it's age.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%