Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New (2007) Spyderco Spyderench

Offline supratentorial

on: August 09, 2007, 07:13:20 AM

The new Spyderench is finally available though I can't even find it on the Spyderco website.

It's been a long wait.  Spyderco had said they were updating the tool back in 2004.  The original Spyderench was discontinued in 2003.   

A few months ago, the first of the new Spyderenchs were shipped out by accident (reference: http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php?p=247519&postcount=11) but now several stores are listing them as in stock.  The best price I could find is around $85--not much more than the Byrdrench. 

The original Spyderench was manufactured in the US but the new Spyderench is made in Taiwan.  The Byrdrench is made in China.

The new Spyderench looks quite similar to the Byrdench.  Aside from cosmetic differences, the most noticeable differences are that the Spyderench features an AUS8 blade and a diamond file.

I ordered one this morning and already have the tracking info.  If there's sufficient interest, I'll post some photos when I receive it.     

For the time being, here are some images I borrowed from an Ebay auction:

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Re: New (2007) Spyderco Spyderench
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 07:15:54 AM
I want one!
[

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 07:20:06 AM
Me too!  Where'd ya get it from?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline supratentorial

Offline zackhugh

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 09:39:48 PM
Nice!  Glad they are packaging it with a sheath since the original didn't come with one.  I know you can clip it but always good to have a sheath if you prefer that mode of carry.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 09:49:17 PM
They even seam to be pretty reasonably priced too :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 12:50:22 AM
I wonder if they are actually out yet, or on backorder like the Zilla?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 05:22:12 AM
I have a tracking number and should receive the SpydeRench early next week.  Maybe it was a typo and they sent me a SpiderWench.  :ahhh

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/spider_woman.jpg

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 05:24:38 AM by supratentorial »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 05:28:19 AM
Yikes!  :o  Call me a sheeple if you want...that one scares me!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline supratentorial

Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 02:03:25 AM
Got the SpydeRench today.  Curiously, the sheath comes separately rather than in the box.  I opened the box and fiddled with the SpydeRench a bit.  Unfortunately the plain edge portion of the blade has a nick in it.  :( :( :(  The box was sealed with stickers on both ends so I know it wasn't a demo knife.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 04:17:55 AM
Awww, that really is a bite!  :(  Nothing worse than having your anticipation soured by a new tool with a defect!!

So now you have to go through a bunch of hassle to return it?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline supratentorial

Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 10:52:03 AM
Although it is a little disappointing that it wasn't perfect out of the box, I haven't decided if the nick warrants returning the SpydeRench.  The blade nick isn't very big and I'll probably nick the blade up with use.  It does make me wonder how well the edge will hold up with use but it is my (uneducated) understanding that AUS-8 is excellent steel.  Perhaps the durability of the edge has more to do with the grind??  The nick is located where there is a ridge in the "liner" and the nick was most likely caused by blade hitting the side of this ridge during assembly--not exactly heavy abuse.

This brings up another issue.  The blade has some wobble especially near the closed position.  This wobble will allow the blade to hit the side of the "liner" if you don't close the blade carefully.  Undoubtedly, that's how the blade was nicked.  I know that I didn’t nick the blade since I noticed it when I first opened the blade, before I ever closed the blade.  I'm going to write Spyderco about the blade wobble.

I also noticed that the Phillips/Punch/File does not fit in the bit holder.  The Phillips on the end of the file isn't very practical without a handle to provide additional leverage.  Of course, the included Phillips bits will be sufficient for most tasks but the long Phillips on the end of the file would be useful for deeply recessed screws.

Another problem that I noticed is the spring that holds the file tends to pop out when removing the file.

After doing some comparison with the photos from Tom's post, I don't think there is much difference between the ByrdRench and the SpydeRench other than the differences that I previously noted.  Unless the diamond file or the AUS-8 blade steel is a big selling point for you, you might go with the ByrdRench instead.

In general, I would say that the SpydeRench is more toy than tool.  I suspected the same thing about the CRKT Guppie and avoided it for that reason.  My guess is that the construction of the SpydeRench is much better than the CRKT Guppie but it's just a guess.  The SpydeRench is a fascinating design but I think the new, improved SpydeRench could use additional improvement.

After I figure out whether I need to send the SpydeRench for repair, I plan on carrying it and then writing a full review.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 11:08:39 AM by supratentorial »

Offline supratentorial

Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 05:55:40 AM

Offline AJ

Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 06:23:07 AM
Nice, great photos too.

I do have a question on the bottom right photo.
Is that a spring I see?

* spring.jpg (Filesize: 48.53 KB)
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 01:00:36 PM
I believe that spring is for holding the file/sharpening rod.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 09:45:12 PM
It might also be used to launch the file at an armed assailant--a mall ninja, for instance.

Offline zackhugh

Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 11:48:49 PM
Or you might slip and put your eye out.

Offline supratentorial

Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 02:32:15 AM
Or you might slip and put your eye out.

That brings up an important point.  ALWAYS use appropriate protection--esp. when fending off mall ninjas.

...and if more parents used appropriate protection, maybe there wouldn't be so many mall ninjas!  :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 02:41:38 AM
Not to mention a ban on tequila.

Def

Offline supratentorial

Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 09:04:35 AM
Here's a photo showing the problem with the SpydeRench.

Today, I received a replacement from Spyderco.  The replacement has far less blade wobble but there's still a bit of play--mostly near the closed position.  The replacement doesn't hit the "liner".  I had a chance to use the SpydeRench a little bit before I sent it back to Spyderco (haven't used the replacement yet).  The wrench worked well (replaced a car battery) and the knife is scary sharp.  The magnetic bit driver works ok but it lacks reach.  The magnet holds the bit in place but isn't strong enough to keep a screw from falling to the ground.  The round nose slip joint pliers are neat but they lack leverage.  The sheath isn't the best but I prefer using the pocket clip anyway.  I probably won't have a chance to write a full review for quite a while since I've injured my shoulder and will have surgery in September.  ...stay tuned...  :P       
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:06:16 AM by supratentorial »

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 04:47:27 PM
 I feel your pain;I bunged up the rotator cuff in my left shoulder many years ago trying to lift a patient twice my weight...it took lots and lots of physical therapy to make things right again.
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD