Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Tool!

TxSxB · 50 · 3332

us Offline TxSxB

New Tool!
on: May 27, 2010, 07:26:43 PM
So I got something new in the mail yesterday...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After having carrying it today over my old style Wave I must say that I reeeeaaallly like the TTi. It came new in box with the full 40 bit set, leather sheath, pocket clip, lanyard ring, and I picked up a Leatherman bit extender, two days before my TTi arrived, and put that right in the sheath as soon as I put the Charge on my belt. I love the setup of the Charge as far as tools are concerned, and it's a damn sexy MT. BUT. The file rubs, the scales kind of feel like they move ever so slightly under a lot of pressure, the sheath is a joke if you try to put the bits in it, and the edge on the blade out of the box was nothing but a huge, badly ground burr :twak: I put a good edge on the blade and broke the Charge in for a couple hours to get rid of the overall "stickiness" of the pliers, I could send it in for a different one but I figure I'm gonna (ab)use the hell out of it anyway so why bother?  Anyway I like the Charge a alot and I don't think it will be coming off my belt anytime soon.  :salute:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Re: New Tool!
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 07:49:21 PM
Nice Charge  :tu:.Just a question,why Leatherman still continue a BAD QC on Charge,especially,and other multitools ?Every time I read about Charge and always same problems! >:( For me its turn away from this company such like their miltitools going same QC like China made products,sometime even worse.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 07:51:15 PM
Nice Charge  :tu:.Just a question,why Leatherman still continue a BAD QC on Charge especially and other multitools ?Every time I read about Charge and always same problems! >:( For me its turn away from this company such like their miltitools going same QC like China made products,sometime even worse.
What problems are you referring to..? And exactly how many of your Charges have had that problem..?

us Offline TxSxB

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:53:21 PM
The quality of the tool and the parts is good its just little things that should not even be an issue. I just think Leatherman needs to tighten the QC screws a little bit, at least on their $100+ tools IMHO.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 08:01:13 PM
Nice Charge  :tu:.Just a question,why Leatherman still continue a BAD QC on Charge,especially,and other multitools ?Every time I read about Charge and always same problems! >:( For me its turn away from this company such like their miltitools going same QC like China made products,sometime even worse.

I think we can safely ignore that...

That said, I think I can help with a couple of the problems you have TxSxB.

The bit card fits easily in the pouch at the back of the sheath - but only when you realise you need to insert it with the bits facing the back of the sheath - i.e. flat side forward. Should slide in dead easy then.

The file rubbing. That seems to be a complaint that's cropping up a lot lately, and it's hard for me to relate to as all of my Charges are fine. The file should just gently kiss the Ti scale right at the last point of closing it - shouldn't really rub - it definitely shouldn't be filing the scale! You should be able to see a clear gap between the file and the scale all the way down.

The bad edge on the blade and "stickiness" of the pliers make me wonder if it really is new - Charges with 154CM or S30V blades never come anything less than scary sharp! Where did you get it?
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline TxSxB

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:09:23 PM
It came from eBay NIB, I looked it over extensively when I got it and couldn't find any scratches or any signs of wear, but the pliers have worked themselves in nicely, the S30V blade is nice and scary sharp now but it needed some help out of the box  :-\ and the file is doing its job to the titanium, i figure diamonds>titanium so it'll work a nice little space in there sooner or later. I can get one card in the sheath and it fits ok, but it does hold the Charge in there a little tighter. I just picked the best bits out of the bunch and threw them in one bitcard in my wallet.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:13:49 PM by TxSxB »

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:22:08 PM
Congrats on your new charge.  :) 
When In doubt, C4

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 08:24:05 PM
It came from eBay NIB, I looked it over extensively when I got it and couldn't find any scratches or any signs of wear, but the pliers have worked themselves in nicely, the S30V blade is nice and scary sharp now but it needed some help out of the box  :-\ and the file is doing its job to the titanium, i figure diamonds>titanium so it'll work a nice little space in there sooner or later.

Yeah - I suspect you're right, but it shouldn't be so :-\

Just to satisfy my curiosity on this, how does yours differ from my EDC TTi? The way I see it there are two options:

a) The file is touching at the end, therefore you'd expect the gap to be noticeably bigger at the pivot end;

or

b) The file is bent and bowed.

us Offline TxSxB

Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 08:32:14 PM
It is touching at the end near the nail nick, I gently bent it back and it's better now, still touching a slight bit but alot less grinding going on thanks Dave!  :salute:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 08:34:00 PM
Oh that's good news. Take care with the bending though - those files are made from very brittle steel.

How did the tip with the bit card go? I could have kicked myself when I eventually figured that one out :D

us Offline TxSxB

Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 08:36:59 PM
It works better like that I also figured it would go bits out but now I see that I was very wrong :o, I was hoping to get both bitcards in though, but that doesn't seem feasible, not a big deal though I probably don't need all 40 bits on me all the time.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 08:55:56 PM
Two bit cards would be pushing it a bit I think!

Obvious when you realise which way round it goes isn't it? They should provide instructions for the sheath  :D

Looks like you're good to go anyway - hope you like your Charge as much as I do :cheers:

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 09:18:40 PM
I had the same problem with the diamond file on the charge TTI from cabelas that Bob sent to me. It rubbed against the titanium handle as well.

It does seem like this is not an uncommon complaint  :-\

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 10:08:25 PM
Don't get me wrong,I like Charge, .. BUT!...seems like people pay for titanium scales and brand name,and QC is far,far behind.The price for Charge is over $100 !!! The Leatherman needs a better QC for their MTs.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:29:31 PM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 11:32:40 PM
I think I have voiced well enough of my concerns over LM QC, but as Davek helped me realize, I was generalizing a statement made from not enough facts.  While I have had a lemon or two from the Wave/charge/surge line, I can safely say that my ST300, both Blasts, my micra, and P4 were all perfect tools.  I only have the ST300, Blast, and Micra now, the p4 went to Pops as a gift.  Moreover, my only actual Lemons were a Charge ALX with a badly ground blade spine(vertical play like you wouldn't believe), and pretty much 2 of the Juices I have owned.  SO, that makes it a little unfair to say that Leatherman has bad QC, there just seem to be a few quirks they need to iron out.

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 12:17:57 AM
I think I have voiced well enough of my concerns over LM QC, but as Davek helped me realize, I was generalizing a statement made from not enough facts.  While I have had a lemon or two from the Wave/charge/surge line, I can safely say that my ST300, both Blasts, my micra, and P4 were all perfect tools.  I only have the ST300, Blast, and Micra now, the p4 went to Pops as a gift.  Moreover, my only actual Lemons were a Charge ALX with a badly ground blade spine(vertical play like you wouldn't believe), and pretty much 2 of the Juices I have owned.  SO, that makes it a little unfair to say that Leatherman has bad QC, there just seem to be a few quirks they need to iron out.

Agree,but,what price is for ST300 and Charge?Charge is more expensive and has QC issue.Look at SAK's and Swisstool's,for example,whatever is price range - they ALL IS HIGH QC!Now look at LM,ST300 -    good,Blast,Micra - good QC,next - Charge,Surge and etc. not saying its a BAD QC,but its not what I want to see in a MT for a price range over $100!And I read a lot of forums and most people agree that Leatherman QC is going down,especially with high end LM products.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 12:21:00 AM by CumminsDiesel »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 01:20:11 AM
Most people? Or is it just a few people who repeat it often?

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 01:43:29 AM

::)

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 01:44:45 AM

Dave,:-) its fairly often and not just a few people.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:48:38 AM by CumminsDiesel »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 02:10:39 AM

I would hazard a guess that about 75% of the criticism of Leatherman on this site in the last week has come from just you, give or take. You seem to be on some kind of trip to share your limited, and somewhat odd experiences.

Not aimed at you :)

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 02:27:50 AM

I would hazard a guess that about 75% of the criticism of Leatherman on this site in the last week has come from just you, give or take. You seem to be on some kind of trip to share your limited, and somewhat odd experiences.

I'm not criticism a Leatherman,I like it a lot,but WHY Charge cost more than $100 and STILL have a same BAD QC IN ALMOST EVERY UNIT?

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 02:42:12 AM

Just stop it!!! No more polemics  :D ,you better tell me about pliers,I mean does a Crimper on pliers feels like a weak point?Or Charge Ti is better here?

us Offline David

Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 02:45:23 AM

I'm not criticism a Leatherman,I like it a lot,but WHY Charge cost more than $100 and STILL have a same BAD QC IN ALMOST EVERY UNIT?

I strongly disagree with that wide sweeping generalization.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:30:57 AM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 03:01:03 AM

What a ridiculous statement. Answer me honestly - how many "units" do you know about with "bad qc"? 5? 10? How many?

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 03:04:40 AM

What a ridiculous statement. Answer me honestly - how many "units" do you know about with "bad qc"? 5? 10? How many?

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 03:05:00 AM
 :rofl:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 03:11:43 AM

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1

:rofl:  exactly, :D   +1+1+1+1+1 and you forgot one more +1 = 6 SURGE's  :o and thats just me.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 03:15:14 AM
So, how many Charges then?

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 03:16:07 AM

:D

I know, but this seems to be a xerox of the thread that made me realize I was wrong.  It made me smile.

The gist here, Cumminsdeisel, is that it is a ridiculous notion to think that anyone here but Chako has enough of any MT to make statements like the ones you have made.  Trust me, I used to sound like you, really I did.  But I realized that even owning 2 or 3 of the same model doesn't make a quorum to vote like that.  You simply cannot back up the statement that you made.  How do you know they have bad QC in almost every unit?  You don't.  

And on the pliers note, I would venture to say that they have been putting cap crimpers in their tools for a long time.  If it was a weak point, it wouldn't have made it this long.  I bet you break the pivot point before you break the pliers at the crimper.

6 surges is not enough to make those allegations.  The solution:  STOP BUYING SURGES!  It is obviously not the tool for you.  Try an ST300, I love mine!  Plus I have heard that despite the weight, the Surge isn't as robust as the ST300.  

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 03:18:46 AM
TBH the Ti , TTi file rub really annoys me. The question as to the % of Titanium Charges effected is the big one  :think:.
I have seen a tradesman's diamond file completely worn down at the rubbing point on his Charge & he said the same thing had happened on his previous Charge. :o. The 3 Charges I have owned all had file rub.
I can not remember hearing of anyone having an issue with file rub on a Wave  :think: :think:

Maybe someone should send Leatherman an email & ask them if they are aware of significant file rub issue on their Ti & TTi Charges  :think: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88