Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Tool!

TxSxB · 50 · 3334

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Re: New Tool!
Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 03:21:57 AM
Most people? Or is it just a few people who repeat it often?

Dave,:-) its fairly often and not just a few people.

I would hazard a guess that about 75% of the criticism of Leatherman on this site in the last week has come from just you, give or take. You seem to be on some kind of trip to share your limited, and somewhat odd experiences.

Most people? Or is it just a few people who repeat it often?

::)

Not aimed at you :)
:D

I know, but this seems to be a xerox of the thread that made me realize I was wrong.  It made me smile.

The gist here, Cumminsdeisel, is that it is a ridiculous notion to think that anyone here but Chako has enough of any MT to make statements like the ones you have made.  Trust me, I used to sound like you, really I did.  But I realized that even owning 2 or 3 of the same model doesn't make a quorum to vote like that.  You simply cannot back up the statement that you made.  How do you know they have bad QC in almost every unit?  You don't.  

And on the pliers note, I would venture to say that they have been putting cap crimpers in their tools for a long time.  If it was a weak point, it wouldn't have made it this long.  I bet you break the pivot point before you break the pliers at the crimper.

6 surges is not enough to make those allegations.  The solution:  STOP BUYING SURGES!  It is obviously not the tool for you.  Try an ST300, I love mine!  Plus I have heard that despite the weight, the Surge isn't as robust as the ST300.  

:D NO MORE SURGES,NO MORE!!!  :cry: :) I start new thread about which one to buy.Back to topic TxSxB you got a really sweet Charge!Like before I said I so like it  :salute:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 03:23:19 AM
TBH the Ti , TTi file rub really annoys me. The question as to the % of Titanium Charges effected is the big one  :think:.
I have seen a tradesman's diamond file completely worn down at the rubbing point on his Charge & he said the same thing had happened on his previous Charge. :o. The 3 Charges I have owned all had file rub.
I can not remember hearing of anyone having an issue with file rub on a Wave  :think: :think:

Maybe someone should send Leatherman an email & ask them if they are aware of significant file rub issue on their Ti & TTi Charges  :think: :D :D

Ask Dave,he know how to fix it  :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 03:24:05 AM
I have had two Charges and the file rubbed on both.  It didn't really bother me though(which is shocking, because I am really picky).  I have technically owned 4 waves, though one was given away to a friend before I even got it, and 2 surges.  Those tools didn't have a file rub problem at all.  In fact, they seemed perfect.  I just discovered that the OH Leatherman blades don't mix with my grip when using the screwdrivers.  I tend to accidentally open them when twisting the tool.  My problem, not Leatherman's.  

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 03:25:11 AM
Buy the ST300!

Oh yea and  :b2t:  nice TTI!

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 03:26:13 AM
So, how many Charges then?

Dave,here is MultiMat with (3 Charges) :D and Mercury (2 Charges) with a same file problem (a common problem of Charge),and I think here is a lot of people with same problem.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:35:15 AM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 03:29:18 AM
Buy the ST300!

Oh yea and  :b2t:  nice TTI!

How do you like inside open implement on ST300 vs outside on Charge?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:32:17 AM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 04:18:06 AM
As far as the implement placement, I personally prefer the inside openers.  I tend to twist the tool when driving a screw, so I accidentally open the blades when I do so. 

On the subject of Charge files, I have only owned 2, which were ALX models.  Both had a file that rubbed, but not near enough to be called a "defect".  From what I have heard, the Charges have that issue, so either forget about it or move on to a different tool.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 04:43:26 AM
Well my Charge is just peachy :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 04:45:44 AM
As far as the implement placement, I personally prefer the inside openers.  I tend to twist the tool when driving a screw, so I accidentally open the blades when I do so. 

On the subject of Charge files, I have only owned 2, which were ALX models.  Both had a file that rubbed, but not near enough to be called a "defect".  From what I have heard, the Charges have that issue, so either forget about it or move on to a different tool.

Thanks man,good point about inside implements  :tu:

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 05:22:57 AM
Cummins,

Just out of curiosity... is English your second language?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:26:48 AM by glorn »
G

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 06:43:11 AM
Cummins,

Yes.
Any problem? :)

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 06:51:39 AM
Its so hard to understand me?
Actually not just second but third language ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:56:14 AM by CumminsDiesel »

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 07:21:58 AM
I'm getting sick of reading about you jumping on SURGES until they bust! I wouldn;t call that bad QC either. If you drove a car into a tree and bent it, is that bad QC?

Geez, EVERY thread has the same derailment. You posted your thoughts once, believe me THAT WAS ENOUGH. Why in every thread???

Here is a tip: Stick to the swisstool as obviously its more your style.

NOW:
Can we get back to the TTi here?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 10:06:42 AM

Dave,here is MultiMat with (3 Charges) :D and Mercury (2 Charges) with a same file problem (a common problem of Charge),and I think here is a lot of people with same problem.

So that's 5 then? Let's call it 10 to cater for the "lot of people" you refer to and Mat's friend......

So you have 10 Charges with a problem, I have 14 good ones and Nuphoria's is fine too, so that's 15.

Do you accept that your comment was wrong yet?
I used to come here a lot.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 10:14:36 AM
Just for the sake of discussion, it seems like some people are getting a very biased sample of LM tools, QC-wise. I wonder if there is some specific connection/correlation there... For example, lemons coming from the same online seller/warehouse or refurbished/reselled by the same LM rep... :think: I mean, assuming that each multitool purchase is the equivalent of a uniformly random draw, the probability of x successive "lemons" is really miniscule, unless there is some bias introduced in the process... :-\

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 10:16:19 AM
That thought did cross my mind. It's hard to be sure though, given the way most of us acquire these things!
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #46 on: May 28, 2010, 03:08:49 PM

So that's 5 then? Let's call it 10 to cater for the "lot of people" you refer to and Mat's friend......

So you have 10 Charges with a problem, I have 14 good ones and Nuphoria's is fine too, so that's 15.

Do you accept that your comment was wrong yet?

I would like to point out that out of  my 2 Charges, only one of them had what I consider to be a problem, vertical blade play.  Yes, both files rubbed a little, but that really isn't a problem, just a quirk.  So that's just 4 charges with a problem.  Round down!   :D  The only reason I sold the second was I kept opening the darn blade on myself, which is a Mercury problem, not a Leatherman QC problem. 

Even more evidence of a biased set of comments.  Like I said Cummins, the surge obviously isn't for you, which you seem to have accepted.  I hope you are happy with the ST300 you are thinking about.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #47 on: May 28, 2010, 03:58:47 PM
Cummins,

Yes.
Any problem? :)

Its so hard to understand me?
Actually not just second but third language ;)

No, not terribly hard to understand you. I just find it interesting that someone would toss out the word "polemic" in one thread, but then make the grammatical, linguistic, and typographical errors I might expect from a child in every other thread.

That and your irrational ranting about Leatherman makes me think you must be a troll.

Aside from that, I understand you just fine.
G

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #48 on: May 28, 2010, 04:09:34 PM
Just for the sake of discussion, it seems like some people are getting a very biased sample of LM tools, QC-wise. I wonder if there is some specific connection/correlation there... For example, lemons coming from the same online seller/warehouse or refurbished/reselled by the same LM rep... :think: I mean, assuming that each multitool purchase is the equivalent of a uniformly random draw, the probability of x successive "lemons" is really miniscule, unless there is some bias introduced in the process... :-\
I agree assumeing they were not all from the same batch, someone getting 6 (i think that was how meny) bad LMs, either has such high standard that no tool can live up to, has really bad luck, or LM has a problem

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #49 on: May 28, 2010, 04:22:37 PM
Gentlemen, I had hoped that this would remain reasonably civil, but it appears that things are going off the rails.  This is a constructive forum, for discussing things in a civilized manner.  Crapping on other people is simply not appropriate here.  Everyone has their own opinions, and is entitled to share them which is what a forum is all about, but I have to draw the line when it comes to personal slights.

Additionally, there are a number of different tools out there for a reason- each one has it's strengths and weaknesses, and that is why we review tools- to see if strengths match up with your needs, and weaknesses fall into lower priority needs.  Every tool will break if subjected to significant enough stress.  Some are tougher than others, and some are better suited to various things than others, just like with regular tools.  A hammer is tougher than a screwdriver and able to take more abuse, but it won't help you tighten a screw. 

So, I am going to lock this thread- if anyone wants to continue the legitimate portions of this discussion, please feel free to start a new thread.  If anyone wants to continue slappy fighting, take it to PM's, emails, IM or the octagon, because it sure as heck will not continue here.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%