Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Flashlight for the visually impaired

us Offline lovenhim

EDC Flashlight for the visually impaired
on: May 30, 2010, 08:37:15 PM
Hello everyone.  I am in the market for a better flashlight than what I have.  I have a 7 year old Invoa X5.  The only complaint that i have is the light needs to be brighter.  Here is what I am trying to get in a new light and my uses for it:

close up use from 6 inches to 3 feet
"ball of light" no hot spots or dark spots in the beam
nothing larger than a 2AA minimag
$20-ish price range
prefer AA or AAA batteries as I have rechargeables, but am ok with CR123
name brand, looks, standing out, etc do not matter to me
function over form

When In doubt, C4

Offline RichardMT

Re: EDC Flashlight for the visually impaired
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:34:19 PM
Fenix E01? Small, good runtime on 1xAAA and reliable as can be. Nice floody beam and excellent regulation. 20 bucks will get you the light and batteries.

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 09:37:07 PM
Maratac AAA.  $22, 3 light levels, pocket clip, and key ring size.  Possibly the best bang for you buck light out there. :tu:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 09:54:24 PM
Maratac AAA.  $22, 3 light levels, pocket clip, and key ring size.  Possibly the best bang for you buck light out there. :tu:

+1 

Offline RichardMT

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 10:30:58 PM
Maratac is not really one I am familiar with. Just looked it up because of its mention in this thread. Looks like one checking out...where did I put my credit card.....?

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 11:14:07 PM
Your ball of light requirement is going to be hard, for that you will need an optic not reflector, which isn't common in cheap lights. There's a set of them at costco thou fits your requirement, something like $15 for two.

Alternatively you can put diffuser film on any flashlight and you'll have a smooth floody light without hotspot.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 11:31:00 PM
Sparky was showing off this little light at the recent UK meet-up. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26792  I think it's fair to say we were all impressed with it.  As jzmtl says it's a optic so it's got a totally smooth "ball of light" that can be adjusted from a tight spot up to a completely regular flood, it would seem to cover your other requirements as well.  This is a CR123 light but perhaps they do a AA version?  I think there are a few folks on here that know a lot more about Romisen lights than I do.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 11:44:51 PM
Expanding on Garath's post, you can get a brighter version, or one with neutral white (i.e. look more like incan, not blueish white common in LED) emitter here, and has two modes. He's in u.s. so shipping won't take a month.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-By-Manufacturer-cln-Romisen/searchpath/2816/start/17/total/35/Categories

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 11:58:39 PM
I can highly recommend Romisens for the money - had nothing but bargains so far :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 02:35:30 PM
Sparky was showing off this little light at the recent UK meet-up. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26792  I think it's fair to say we were all impressed with it.  As jzmtl says it's a optic so it's got a totally smooth "ball of light" that can be adjusted from a tight spot up to a completely regular flood, it would seem to cover your other requirements as well.  This is a CR123 light but perhaps they do a AA version?  I think there are a few folks on here that know a lot more about Romisen lights than I do.

I like this one a lot, the only thing (if it matters to you) I don't like about it is you need two hands to adjust the 'focus' of the beam  :think:

And at 14 bucks you can't go to far wrong  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 04:00:39 PM

I like this one a lot, the only thing (if it matters to you) I don't like about it is you need two hands to adjust the 'focus' of the beam  :think:

Just looked at this one.  Next flashlight purchase is gonna be one of these.  Really nice looking beam.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 05:15:41 PM

This is the best picture I can get to show what the beam looks like on its 'throwiest'
I will take my camera out one evening this week and I will try to get some night shots
Another thing you might not like is it will not tail stand which is a shame  :think:
01.06.10 007.jpg
* 01.06.10 007.jpg (Filesize: 101.73 KB)
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 06:38:41 PM
Thank you for all the help and pics.  :)  This is a great forum and it is very helpful. 
When In doubt, C4

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD