Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone know about Navaja Knives?

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Anyone know about Navaja Knives?
on: June 04, 2010, 10:34:50 PM
How do I know if this is a real one?  Thanks!

“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Anyone know about Navaja Knives?
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:56:00 PM
Oh Gareth! :pok:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 04:57:56 AM
Ok here's where it can be a bit confusing.  As far as I know navaja is simply the Spanish word that can be applied to any folding knife so in that regard what you have there can indeed be called a navaja.  However the classic navaja would almost always have a distinctive locking mechanism like this;

So the teeth you can see are part of the blade and they engage in a slot in the backspring to form a lock.  To release the blade you have to pull up on the leaver bit that in turn lifts the backspring away from the teeth so letting you close the blade.  While many navajas have multiple teeth like the one shown, which give a distinctive "ratcheting" sound when the blade is opened, I've also seen examples with only one tooth.

I'm not sure I've explained that very well, but it is very early in the morning here. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:21:26 AM
I followed it fine mate, thanks :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 10:24:05 AM
looking closely at the OPs pics, it seems the knife does have the locking mechanism. Its got a nice shape overall, especially the handle.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 10:50:11 AM
Chilli's knife actually makes me think of one of the more modern Thiers (France's answer to Sheffield) knives and that the plate on the back could be a bee?  French and Spanish knife designs certainly have many similarities but mostly the French style knives are non-locking.  I know however that this doesn't ring true with what's etched on the blade. :think:

spam Offline Fisting_Chili

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:16:24 PM
Chilli's knife actually makes me think of one of the more modern Thiers (France's answer to Sheffield) knives and that the plate on the back could be a bee?  French and Spanish knife designs certainly have many similarities but mostly the French style knives are non-locking.  I know however that this doesn't ring true with what's etched on the blade. :think:

You'd be correct Gareth.  This knife is much more similar with the french Laguiole knives.  It does not lock and there is a bee on the back as you mentioned.  Maybe what I have is a Laguiovaja knife?  Lol.   I'm trying to figure out how much to start it at on ebay...

Laguiole knives have the same situation, where since the Laguiole name was never patented, anyone can use it and it now is a general term for the type/style of knife, instead of the name of the town that first..and still...makes them.
Thanks for the help on this.  Do you have a real navaja knife?  That clicking locking mechanism sounds cool!
“Do not go gentle, into that goodnight.  Rage....RAGE against the dying of the light!"

-Dylan Thomas

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 01:26:09 PM
Chilli's knife actually makes me think of one of the more modern Thiers (France's answer to Sheffield) knives and that the plate on the back could be a bee?  French and Spanish knife designs certainly have many similarities but mostly the French style knives are non-locking.  I know however that this doesn't ring true with what's etched on the blade. :think:

You'd be correct Gareth.  This knife is much more similar with the french Laguiole knives.  It does not lock and there is a bee on the back as you mentioned.  Maybe what I have is a Laguiovaja knife?  Lol.   I'm trying to figure out how much to start it at on ebay...

Laguiole knives have the same situation, where since the Laguiole name was never patented, anyone can use it and it now is a general term for the type/style of knife, instead of the name of the town that first..and still...makes them.
Thanks for the help on this.  Do you have a real navaja knife?  That clicking locking mechanism sounds cool!

I've got a couple of them.  Sadly I used to have another but it went walkies on me, one of the few knives I've ever lost. :cry:  It may still turn up again in the back of a drawer or the bottom of a box, but I'm not going to hold my breath. :-\
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 01:29:12 PM by Gareth »

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 01:55:53 AM
I'm no expert , but it looks more French than Spanish .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD