Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman or Swiss Army Knife?

Benner · 69 · 8721

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Leatherman or Swiss Army Knife?
on: August 18, 2007, 08:42:08 PM
Hello,

A friend of mine is looking to get a new multitool and as I own both a Leatherman and a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife, he has asked me which of these brands is best.

I use both quite a lot but for different tasks, so I can't quite decide which one is the one to buy.  What does everyone else think?

Benner
I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Leatherman or Swiss Army Knife?
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 09:16:55 PM
Welcome to the forum- as your host, and also the owner of the world's largest Swiss Army Knife enthusiast group, I'd council you to get both!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 09:29:05 PM
Thanks for the welcome,

I think the problem is that I only own the Mechanic SAK and the PST. Not exactly the most technical or modern. Trying desperately to get a charge but finances dont allow atm.
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 09:37:23 PM
Check out www.felinevet.sosakonline.com for the solution to your financial problems.

Of course it may start some new financial problems!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:19:09 PM
Check out www.felinevet.sosakonline.com for the solution to your financial problems.

Of course it may start some new financial problems!

Def
Aint that the truth ::)

Have you thought about advicing him to get a swisstool or spirit?

He'd have the best of both worlds then :)

ps welcome to the forum mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 10:33:11 PM
That's true.

Then I can try it!  ;D
I'm back!!

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 10:38:10 PM
That's true.

Then I can try it!  ;D
My work here is done ;) ;D ;D ;D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 10:50:19 PM
Thing is though, are we then saying the leatherman type design but made by victorinox, is the best then?

Is one not generally considered better than the other?
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 11:28:22 PM
I'm not touching that one with a ten foot pole!

Def

Offline Papacat

Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 12:22:59 AM
Thing is though, are we then saying the leatherman type design but made by victorinox, is the best then?

Is one not generally considered better than the other?

To each his own. 
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 03:10:45 AM
On paper the Victorinox is vastly superior, and here are the oft-cited reasons why:

1. Corrosion resistance.  LM's develop some surface rust in harsh climates, SwissTools are impervious to anything but erupting volcanoes.
2. Outside opening tools.  All the implements on a SwissTool are accessible without opening the pliers
3. Locking tools. All the implements on the SwissTools lock open
4. Fit and Finish. No one in the world can beat the Swiss at detail work
5. More Functions. The SwissTools have more functions for their size than virtually any other multi
6. Warranty. SwissTools are guaranteed for life, while Leathermans are only  ::) guaranteed for 25 years. (it's a big deal to some folks!)
7. Comfortable handles.  SwissTools never had a reputation for biting into your hands the way old Leathermans did.  In LM's defense, that's an old argument.

However, Leatherman's tools are not without their bonuses as well.  There are more options (Vic only has three variations on the SwissTool and two in the smaller Spirit, not counting the black oxide versions) while Leatherman has at least twice that in current offerings.  Leatherman offers more sizes in addition to varieties.  Leatherman has one handed opening models.  Leatherman has the diamond file, which frankly I think should be on every multitool ever made.  Leatherman offers different types of tools like the pruners and the Crunch.

It really all does boil down to personal choice.  Quite honestly I'd suggest picking up and playing with some of each to see what you like and don't like about each one.  I like the ergonomics of the SwissTool Spirit and the fact that it has more functions to it's weight than any other tool.  Too others it may seem too refined.  Some folks like the compound leverage and interchangeable tools of the SOG.  Some folks like the sliding heads of the Gerbers.

About the only way you could start a bigger argument about the "best" brand is if you started talking about politics or religion, and honestly, I doubt that would have nearly as big an effect as the "best" multitool around here!   :grin:

I suppose the cop out answer :police: would be "The best tool is the one you have with you!"  After all, there was that hiker a few years ago that hacked his own arm off to escape from being pinned by a rock slide.  He used a cheap knockoff that he had with him.  That was the best multitool at the time since he obviously didn't have time to run to Wal*Mart and get a good one!

Def

Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 09:41:24 AM
I can't comment on the leatherman vs victorinox debate as i don't have any recent leatherman's, but I was never 100% happy with the supertool I had but I'm never disapointed by either my swisstool or my spirit (even if i STILL don't like the blade on it ::)) :)

I'm sure either companies products will serve you well, but I'd personally recomend a swisstool ;)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 10:20:03 AM
Theres not alot left for me to say , def has summed it all up . What I will say is that I have had to send two LM Charges back due to poor quality control . I have been carrying Swisstools for 7 years and they have never let me down . I always get the impression Victorinox employees live to work and Leatherman Employees work to live  :D

Just incase you are wondering what they look like heres a pic or two  ::)

Dunc
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:23:08 AM by dunc5 »

Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 11:05:22 AM
Way to go with the pro vic properganda dunc! ;D

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 03:09:05 PM
 I say go with the Swisstool,and it's for a purely subjective reason.You hold one in your hand,and it feels substantial and rock solid;inspiring confidence,and there's times when confidence in the tool counts most.
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 04:37:04 PM
I say swisstool as well.  I have leatherman tools but I have to admit that I like the Swisstool better.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 05:02:59 PM
Hmm, tell him to check out the main multitool brands, and their main offerings, e.g. gerber, SOG, LM, Vic.

He should then look at what kind of tool configurations the multitools have, and what suits him, i.e. what tools does he need on the MT, what tools would he like but are not necessary, what tools doesn't he want.

He should think about the speciality of each brand, e.g. flipping head of Gerbers, compound leverage of SOG, excellent fit and finish and quality of Vic, and for LM it depends on which tool he is looking at, different ones have different unique properties (e.g. special steel of AL and Ti tools, gardening tools on the Vista and Hybrid, one handed opening blades of charge and wave/surge) etc.

This is what I did when I was deciding which MT to buy, I'm the kind of guy who has to very thoroughly check out most alternatives before committing to spending money on something, to try and make sure I get something which I truly want and believe is better than the alternatives out there.

The tool I ended up buying was the Sec 3D camouflage coloured black oxide Leatherman TTi from Cabelas, for way more than I had ever though I would spend on a MT. But I do love the tool, very unique look, and very enjoyable to use.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 06:44:09 PM
Hmm, tell him to check out the main multitool brands, and their main offerings, e.g. gerber, SOG, LM, Vic...
I'm %100 with Raukodur here. I am notably a LM guy, but I'm not against anyone liking/buying the others as well. Competition is what gives us the great tools we have! Each brand has it's benefits, I'll give a quick summary of my impressions on the LM vs Vic question. Keep in mind my opinions might be worth what you paid for them  ;)
Both:
Good warranties
Vic:
+ Fit & Finish
+ Rust Resistance
- "Round" edges on drivers (more likely to slip)
- Fewer choices
+ or -? Multiple uses per implement (more uses but maybe limited function)
+ Swiss made
LM:
+ Most choices, both in designs and $
+ Good drivers, "hard edges"
- Less rust resistance than Vic (but not bad at all IMO)
+ or -? Dedicated implements (fewer uses but good function)
+ USA made

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Re: Leatherman or SwissTool ???
Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 07:25:13 PM
1. tell him to check out the main multitool brands, and their main offerings, e.g. gerber, SOG, LM, Vic.

2. then look at what kind of tool configurations the multitools have, and what suits him AND WHAT"S HE WANT THE LM OR SAK FOR ? "

1+2 are right on the money - everything else is frosting on the cake - I did take the liberty to add #3.

I used to carry a well known name brand multi-tool myself until I found a couple superior options ( based on 30 years as a fire fighter, police officer and bomb disposal ( EOD ) technician ). I have owned most every multi tool out there and abused them all ( that's why the good ones have a lifetime warranty . ) and the two best for the money are the Victorinox SwissTool RS and the SOG Powerlock S60 / S62 - in my opinion no multitool comes close to a SOG or Victorinox in performance and Warranty. My decisions to buy these multitools many years ago was based on #1 + #2 above AND taking into account the  rigors of my occupation,  both adequately and consistently do the tasks that I require of them. That is why there are only 2 on my list ALL the others failed in one situaion or another AND they were ALL returned to the manufaturer explaining what I was doing when the tool failed.  My SOG S-62, now that it's been modified as of 12/2006 ( see picture below ) with a total of 3 cutting blades and a pair of scissors is my 1st choice.  If I had to pick one over the other it's because with a couple 5mm wrenches supplied by SOG you can take the tool apart and configure it to your liking - a real big benefit to me and a lot of others. I must also say that recently I won a Leatherman Charge ALX on Multitool.org and it's sitting on my desk unused as we speak. I have to go on a job up north in  mid September and will take the LM along to test out ( with my SOG as a backup ). Maybe a third factor after #1 + #2 above should be considered - #3 size - I fell 1000% more comfortable with the large handles of a multitool AND the locking blades that I do with a pocket size ( SAK ) knive.  Stablity , size and I guess experience using the tool have a lot to do with it , beside the fact I had 2 Vics slice a piece of meat off on of my paws when I was using them ( they sure do snap when you close them - even with flesh softening the closure).

Victorinox SwissTool RS (Rescue and Survival). comes equipped with both scissors and belt cutter which replace the serrated blade and the metal file and can be life saving in a auto accident. Tools included are: Pliers, Screwdriver (2mm), Screwdriver (3mm), Wire Cutter, Screwdriver (5mm), Bottle Opener, Screwdriver (7.5 mm), Large Blade, Scissors, Seatbelt Cutter, Metal Saw, Wood Saw, Reamer/Punch, Phillips Screwdriver, Chisel/Scraper, Strong Crate Opener, Wire Bender, Wire Stripper, Wire Scraper, Can Opener, Ruler (9 inches), Ruler (230mm), Electrical Crimper, Lanyard Hole . The SwissTool RS has the same features as the original SwissTool with two additional features: seatbelt cutter and scissors - something every first responder needs. Made in Switzerland with a lifetime warranty.

The other multi-tool worth your money is a SOG Powerlock S60 or S62,  I have the later. This folding tool isn't new, a fact that speaks to its highly regarded Compound Leverage mechanism that generates twice the pressure and gripping power of lesser tools. To wit: this thing is the Jaws of multitools. Beyond strength, you'll love the pivoting handle covers that really do improve comfort and dexterity. All the essential tools are intricately positioned for deployment, including a quarter-inch drive socket, spring-loaded scissors, half-serrated knife blade, saw, several screwdrivers and Phillips-style model, wire cutters, file... and on and on. And for you showoffs out there, the PowerLock's ability to open with a quick flick of the wrist is undeniably cool. The PowerLock features removable, pivoting handle covers that improve the comfort profile for your hand. More pressure can now be exerted on those tough jobs! The PowerLock can be opened and closed with a one-handed flip of the wrist. This is a basic requirement from SOG as so often one is holding wires or standing on a ladder and does not have both hands free. All tool components are easy to access and lock in the open position. The Phillips even locks in two open positions. With one of the simplest and safest locking devices ever engineered, just press the back of the lock and close the component into the handle. Included in the handles of the S60/S62 tool box is the first foldable 1/4" drive that will turn sockets or, with a standard adapter, any hex screwdriver tip. Scissors ( on the S60 a mod on the S62 )can be one of the most used tool components and we have answered that demand with foldable spring-loaded scissors that are extremely sharp and only has spring tension in the open position, an additional safety feature. Other components include: plier/gripper, wire cutter, crimper, double toothed wood saw, 1/2 serrated blade, 3-sided file, large screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, 1/4" drive, awl, can opener/small screwdriver, bottle opener/med. screwdriver, scissors, rulers and lanyard ring. PowerLock also comes with a heavy-duty, dark leather pouch A standard issue with any SOG multipurpose tool is the advantage of hex bolt construction. This essential design element gives you the greatest versatility to clean and change tool components. Features all stainless steel construction and comes with a leather pouch, a Lifetime Guarantee and they are MADE IN THE USA.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 07:28:09 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 08:36:30 PM
Great post  :) I would like to get a SOG and replace the blades with other tools so as to make it UK legal ( SAK would take care of any cutting ) . One day I'll do it .

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 08:39:22 PM
What is the UK law on multi's and blades then?
I'm back!!

Offline hassium270

Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 08:48:34 PM
I will be sending back my victorinox spirit due to a quality control issue, but i plan to keep its replacement a long time because its a great compact tool, the closest thing to the best all round tool for me right now.

some points for me -

while i like the chromy finish on the vic for aesthetics and corrosion properties, i much prefer the sharp more aggressive machined steel finish on leathermans for general day to day use.

why do victorinox continue to fit tiny little hobby type blades to their massive tools? maybe its illegal to carry a decent blade over there? given the size of their tools, the blades can seem malnourished and wimpy, and aren't the dominant instrument like on many leathermans. in australia and the u.s it seems popular to have massive accessible knife blades hanging off our multitools, and there's something i like about that ;D ;D ;D

play it safe and get one of each

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 08:54:49 PM
No blades over 3 inchs and no blades that lock ( whatever length ) without a very good reason .I think alot of Brits would be interested in a bladeless multitool although I by far prefer to carry a Swisstool .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 09:14:11 PM
I will be sending back my victorinox spirit due to a quality control issue, but i plan to keep its replacement a long time because its a great compact tool, the closest thing to the best all round tool for me right now.

some points for me -

while i like the chromy finish on the vic for aesthetics and corrosion properties, i much prefer the sharp more aggressive machined steel finish on leathermans for general day to day use.

why do victorinox continue to fit tiny little hobby type blades to their massive tools? maybe its illegal to carry a decent blade over there? given the size of their tools, the blades can seem malnourished and wimpy, and aren't the dominant instrument like on many leathermans. in australia and the u.s it seems popular to have massive accessible knife blades hanging off our multitools, and there's something i like about that ;D   ;D   ;D
play it safe and get one of each

Americans do tend to like everything big , like aircraft carriers , cars , burgers , pizzas , hats , buildings... the list goes on  ;)Plus what would people say if you were seen at the mall with a blade under 18inchs  :o

As for Australians , well they need a big knife to wrestle and kill all them crocs  ;D
  So us guys from Europe prefer our whimpy blades so we can sharpen our quills , remove excess wax from candles , remove stones from horses hooves ( and car tires when we eventually get cars ) , cut string and open letters  ::)

:twak:  

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 09:24:07 PM
I have to say that after all this talk of the Swisstool I am now very keen on getting the CS Plus.

Anyone got one going cheap?  ;D
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 09:31:27 PM
I have to say that after all this talk of the Swisstool I am now very keen on getting the CS Plus.

Anyone got one going cheap?  ;D

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Dont worry if it says its out of stock just email him . Very good service .

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007, 09:54:23 PM
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo tempting!!!!

Looked on ebay (UK) for a used one but I couldn't find any.  It must be good.
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #27 on: August 19, 2007, 09:59:02 PM

Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 10:11:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300141144902&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

Would still advise to get a new one off felinevet though

Dunc
You can,t go wrong with felinevet, and you've have a nice shiney and new multi in about a week ;)

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 19, 2007, 11:29:21 PM
I have owned, used and sold both. They are both fine companies with good products. And I sell both. That said, I would go with either a full size SwissTool or a smaller SwissTool Spirit, hands down.
T

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD