Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Wave vs. Swisstool

us Offline lovenhim

Leatherman Wave vs. Swisstool
on: June 17, 2010, 03:02:41 PM
Hello everyone.  I am looking for some advice from owners here.  I have a Leatherman Wave with extension and bit kit.  I like the tool, I really do, but I am wondering if the Swisstool is a better option for me.  The tool deployment of the Wave is hard for someone with short finger nails.  I do not like the locking system on the outside blades, but that is just me.  It is not a bad system I just do not prefer that type of lock.  I got from a trade a Sog Powerlock and I love it.  I like the hefty feel and its smoothness.  I have a Supertool, Wave, and Powerlock in a full size multi.  I prefer a full size tool over a pocket model such as the Juice or a keychain model such as a Squirt.  What are your thoughts on this?
When In doubt, C4

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Re: Leatherman Wave vs. Swisstool
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 03:10:52 PM
If you think the Wave is hard to open with short nails, wait until you try the SwissTool!   :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 03:13:26 PM
If you think the Wave is hard to open with short nails, wait until you try the SwissTool!   :D
  :D :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 03:45:39 PM

:rofl: yep much harder  :D

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 04:02:49 PM

Like he said  :rofl:
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 04:42:00 PM
I have a full size multitool's ST300,Surge and Swisstool (return two old design SOG's Powerlock,very uncomfortable,bad QC,but its just for me).Swisstool for me is the best overall full size multitool,hands down!But again,its just me,with my short nails I can EASY access any tools! :tu: And the locking system I prefer more on Swisstool than LM/SOG.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 04:51:22 PM
I think these are 2 very different types of tools, i have them both and i love the waves OH outer blades, plus the bit driver has it uses with extra bits, the swisstool is a larger HD tool, but i have to admit these are 2 of my favorite tools  :tu:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 04:56:24 PM
As much as I love the ST, you do need decent finger nails to use it.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 06:57:51 PM
My Swisstool was always really easy to open (and had no blade play before somebody makes the comment). To be honest I always found my Wave harder to open. Maybe mine was a fluke because I always hear complaints about the ST being hard to open, but mine was the smoothest opening multi I have ever owned.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 02:15:55 AM
Two very different beasts . The Swisstool is a heavyduty multi , the wave is a Medium duty multi . They are both front runners in their respective classes . Depends what features are important to you , if OHO is a priority the Swisstool won't appeal much . If you wan't a real tight implement loadout , the Swisstool is impressive .

You might find it usefull to check out Nut n Fancy's reviews over on youtube , you can find links in the review section .

Vic. and Leatherman are two top notch contenders , a true multinut should try both .

Chris

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 02:26:54 AM
Just to add to what Styerman says - the Swisstool is a much bigger tool than the Wave. You might therefore want to read up on the Swisstool Spirit, which is much closer to the Wave in size. Then the biggest deciding factor will be your preference for One Hand opening (Wave) or the relative compactness (Spirit). Those are the two main stand-out features of the two tools for me.

You won't go far wrong with a Wave or a Spirit, and as Gadget Guy says, it's really about what works for you. Try them, and then you'll know :tu:

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 02:48:52 AM
Thanks for all of the help.  I do like my Wave a lot.  The tools are very useable and I love the extension and bit kit.  I do find the tools on the Wave hard to open and access.  The OH outside blades are nice but not a huge deal to me, so that is not a big factor for me.  I like the idea of the Swisstool Spirit plus ratchet, however the Bit kit on the Wave kinda has that covered.  I guess you are right, it is all about what you need in a multi.  I enjoy the nutnfancy reviews on Youtube, that is what got me interested in multi tools to begin with and what lead me to do a Google search which lead me to this forum.  :)  I do not want to give up my Wave for a Swisstool, I want them both....if I could make the right trade for one somehow.  LOL 
When In doubt, C4

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 12:15:52 PM
If you are looking for a tool that is easily opened and closed with just one hand, may I suggest the best tool I have found so far for that job...the Buck X-Tract. Everything can be accessed with just one hand. It isn't your typical MT, but that is why it works so very well for what it does. Look it up. I highly recommend it.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 02:14:33 PM
The two tools i always reccomend to Newbies are the Spirit or the Wave . The Wave is a great gateway drug to the Multi world , over the years I have gifted about half a dozen of them - all still ticking .

It's entirely about what works for you .

Chris

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 02:28:18 PM
I really do like the Wave with extension and bit kit.  I am carrying it today on my belt.  The main reason that I want a Swisstool is to compare it to a Leatherman and Sog Powerlock, and to learn.  I am learning that I prefer a plier based multi to a SAK, but that is just me. 
When In doubt, C4

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD