Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One of the great debates of all times

Poll

Do you consider a SAK to be a multitool?

Yes, a SAK is a type of Multitool
12 (66.7%)
No, a SAK is not a Multitool.
6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: October 12, 2006, 01:24:25 AM

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: One of the great debates of all times
Reply #120 on: August 21, 2020, 06:54:27 AM

At the risk of pushing this very entertaining conversation into the realm of the oddities of the English language; another interesting point would be how people tend to use knife as a synecdoche.  Since the knife blade is one part of the whole multitool.  Even people who use and carry MTs a lot tend to drop into some short-hand by asking you to hand them "your knife" or "the knife" when they are pointing or referring to a MT with a dozen functions. 

:tu: :tu: :tu:

Every day can be a learning day (if you let it).  I learnt a new word today - and to save anyone else from having to look it up:

synecdoche
a figure of speech in which a part is made to represent the whole or vice versa, as in England lost by six wickets (meaning ‘ the English cricket team’).

Synecdoche is a figure of speech in which a word or phrase that refers to a part of something is substituted to stand in for the whole, or vice versa. For example, the phrase “all hands on deck” is a demand for all of the crew to help, yet the word “hands”—just a part of the crew—stands in for the whole crew.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #121 on: August 21, 2020, 08:29:26 AM
Me too - Nice one

Three things I love - Language ....... Intelligent debate ........  and SAKs   ... errrm ...... I mean .... multitools    ;)    :tu: 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #122 on: August 21, 2020, 09:05:18 AM
A SAK is the mother of all multitiools!
Enough said!
 :like:
Nope, the Romans did it first
proxy.jpg
* proxy.jpg (Filesize: 47.49 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #123 on: August 21, 2020, 09:12:21 AM
^
Now that is something new to me. Any further info at hand?

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #124 on: August 21, 2020, 09:13:04 AM
Multitool is a very broad term and includes bike-tools and oscillating tools as attached

I suggest the following simple terminology, time to rip off that band-aid
A pliers based multitool (like the Spirit or the Wave) is a Letherman independent of manufacturer.
A folding knife with multiple implements that are not all blades is a SAK
If it only has blades, it is a pocket knife*

* unless you are in Switzerland, there everything is a pocket-knife, we do not discriminate
bosch.jpg
* bosch.jpg (Filesize: 99.4 KB)

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: August 21, 2020, 11:59:22 AM
Honestly it doesn't matter to me, I JUST WANT THE COMMUNITY TO PICK ONE DAMIT!

Multitool is a very broad term and includes bike-tools and oscillating tools as attached

A pliers based multitool (like the Spirit or the Wave) is a Letherman independent of manufacturer.

* unless you are in Switzerland, there everything is a pocket-knife, we do not discriminate

I actually like this solution. but is a deluxe tinker a Leatherman than?

My issue are things like: wrenches (or more specifically a knipex Plier wrench)...are they multitools? after all they have like a billion uses and work on a variety of sizes of materials..The way I have worked it out is that a multitool must span at least 2 of the 3 hand tool categories to be a multitool. But even that is vague since things like a chisel are technically both shaping tools and cutting tools.

ro Offline Edi

Reply #126 on: August 21, 2020, 01:44:39 PM
Who came up with the term: multitool? And why?! Besides marketing purposes!? Another thing. From what i know, a SAK was called schweizer offiziersmessers and is being called schweizer taschenmesser. Not a schweizer militärmesser. So, i think everybody should check that first. Who came up with the names, when and why.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #127 on: August 21, 2020, 01:59:36 PM
Is a multitool

- an implement that has multiple functions

OR

- an implement that is comprised of multiple tools?

:think:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #128 on: August 21, 2020, 04:56:30 PM
@Mr. E ..... :rofl:   

Well that is how the whole of the world speaks/thinks - apart from CH  !!

Well actually not 'SAK'  -  I always referred to it as a Swiss Army Knife - maybe also other folk did too?
- I carried a 'SAK' for decades, but never knew the term SAK until I came here

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: August 22, 2020, 12:15:33 AM
Who came up with the term: multitool? And why?! Besides marketing purposes!? Another thing. From what i know, a SAK was called schweizer offiziersmessers and is being called schweizer taschenmesser. Not a schweizer militärmesser. So, i think everybody should check that first. Who came up with the names, when and why.

The term "swiss army knife" was coined by American soldiers after coming across these during World War II.  Presumably because they couldn't pronounce schweizer offiziersmessers or schweizer taschenmesser.

I'm not sure where the term multitool came from...
anyone?  anyone?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: August 22, 2020, 12:17:08 AM
@Mr. E ..... :rofl:   

Well that is how the whole of the world speaks/thinks - apart from CH  !!

Well actually not 'SAK'  -  I always referred to it as a Swiss Army Knife - maybe also other folk did too?
- I carried a 'SAK' for decades, but never knew the term SAK until I came here

I would think that we... and only we... abbreviate Swiss Army Knife as SAK in writing... not even in speech.  (at least I dont)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: August 22, 2020, 12:18:56 AM
Is a multitool

OR

Maybe a little of both?

an OPT a wallet card would still be called a multitool, I would think.

But a Case Trapper is not a multitool. 

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #132 on: August 22, 2020, 12:29:59 AM

I don't think we can pull off this Band-Aid (R) just yet, my friend.

15 years ago, you could have gotten away with genericizing the Leatherman brand name ( :cheers: K_G) but now there are waaaayyy too many options and brands out there.
A folding knife with other tools... some websites will call this a "Swiss style knife"  Though there are other iconic tools that we would call a Scout knife or a Camper knife in similar configurations. 

One thing I'd have to agre on is that a tool with one or multiple blades (but no other tools) such as a Trapper would be a Pocketknife.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #133 on: August 22, 2020, 05:18:21 AM
Is a multitool

OR

Good Question!  I would lean towards the second one.  A simple fixed blade knife is not really considered a MT, yet it has dozens of uses and functions. (arguably the most important tool in a woodland survival situation)  But it is just one tool.  Where as the Gerber Downrange Tomahawk has an axe-like cutting surface, a hammer, and a pry tool.  A Swiss Champ has a dozen tools all combined into one device.  There is a youtube video that shows how to use a plastic dust pan as a funnel but I doubt that the new additional function would change the dust pan into a multi tool.   :think:

Nope, the Romans did it first

That is a CRAZY picture!  what did they use that thing for???  is it a spoon?   :ahhh

ro Offline Edi

Reply #134 on: August 23, 2020, 11:46:32 AM
I do have some questions. It is very possible that american gi's durring ww2 and later came with the sak translation. It is. But... they could have translated directly into swiss pocket knife. On the other hand, i'm not sure how much us troops were involved with swiss troops, due to the fact that the swiss weren't involved on a military level in ww2. So... these 2 are my main question marks. Then. Tim Leatherman marketed his first product as: pocket survival tool. Yeah, it was a hype and it still is that "survival" bull :pok:  so maybe the term multitool just came up one day. For me, even my gerber shard is a multitool. It is a single piece of metal with different tools. The bike keys that had different uses are also a multitool, in my view. So, a swiss pocket knife, if it has different tools and not only a blade, is a multitool in my oppinion. It is just a word in the end, and words may have actually different meanings, for different people.

ro Offline Edi

Reply #135 on: August 23, 2020, 03:13:42 PM
And according to merriam-webster, the term multi tool/multitool was first used in 1985. For an aray of products.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #136 on: August 23, 2020, 03:42:49 PM
Claw hammer multitool?  Roofers hammer?  The debate is a fun one and while my Trapper is a pocket knife my Explorer is to my mind a multitool.  Can I pry, drive screws, scrape, open a bottle, and a few other things with my Trapper?  I most certainly can as can many of you all.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: August 23, 2020, 04:20:53 PM
I do have some questions. It is very possible that american gi's durring ww2 and later came with the sak translation. It is. But... they could have translated directly into swiss pocket knife. On the other hand, i'm not sure how much us troops were involved with swiss troops, due to the fact that the swiss weren't involved on a military level in ww2. So... these 2 are my main question marks. Then. Tim Leatherman marketed his first product as: pocket survival tool. Yeah, it was a hype and it still is that "survival" bull :pok:  so maybe the term multitool just came up one day. For me, even my gerber shard is a multitool. It is a single piece of metal with different tools. The bike keys that had different uses are also a multitool, in my view. So, a swiss pocket knife, if it has different tools and not only a blade, is a multitool in my oppinion. It is just a word in the end, and words may have actually different meanings, for different people.

Hype is a strong word... they marketed the PST with his story about the broken down car in Amsterdam and needing a set of pliers when he already had a "pockeknife".  Part of the nostaligia of the PST for me .... along with other tools by Leatherman and Gerber... was how many of us were sent off to university with one of these.  Survival in the realistic sense...  fixing your car in an unfamilar location.... opening a can of soup at 2AM when you're working on your thesis.  Survival in the realistic sense.

Anyway... knowing a bit about American English ... it makes sense that upon returning to the US with some of these momentos of Europe we would call these a Swiss Army Knife instead of a Swiss pocketknife.  To them, it wasn't just something that all the Swiss people carried, at the exclusion of every other country. It was something that the Army carried.  We weren't interested that the farmers and the plumbers and the bankers carried it too.  We were interested that this little tool that the military in Europe used.... that we had previously used in the Boy Scouts of America as nothing more than an implement to whittle some sticks or fix a lantern..... was so surprisingly useful if you have a little ingenuity that the Swiss Military used it too.  You may know that in America, we speak in a militaristic flavor all the time, when we want to convey a sense of "grit" - "an army of police officers, the war on drugs, fighting diabetes, battling cancer".  A single word adds a whole context and nuance to the sort of thing we are trying to achieve with a tool or a group of people, or a public policy, or a natural process, respectively.   

I wholeheartedly and passionately disagree with the following "It is just a word in the end, and words may have actually different meanings, for different people."

Language may be the single most important invention of humankind.  The 6,500 languages around the world.... and even the dozens of varieties of English...  the fact that reading Immanuel Kant in German vs English will give you two very different ideas of what he is saying.... that a word ... such as "multi-tool" or "survival" can mean different things to diffferent people, but the same thing to others in different walks of like or corners of the world.  "Just a word" can convey a metric ton of ideas, nuance, history, and understanding of humanity. 

Language is the single greatest Multi-Tool ever created. 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #138 on: August 23, 2020, 07:33:44 PM
Hype is a strong word... they marketed the PST with his story about the broken down car in Amsterdam and needing a set of pliers when he already had a "pockeknife".  Part of the nostaligia of the PST for me .... along with other tools by Leatherman and Gerber... was how many of us were sent off to university with one of these.  Survival in the realistic sense...  fixing your car in an unfamilar location.... opening a can of soup at 2AM when you're working on your thesis.  Survival in the realistic sense.

Anyway... knowing a bit about American English ... it makes sense that upon returning to the US with some of these momentos of Europe we would call these a Swiss Army Knife instead of a Swiss pocketknife.  To them, it wasn't just something that all the Swiss people carried, at the exclusion of every other country. It was something that the Army carried.  We weren't interested that the farmers and the plumbers and the bankers carried it too.  We were interested that this little tool that the military in Europe used.... that we had previously used in the Boy Scouts of America as nothing more than an implement to whittle some sticks or fix a lantern..... was so surprisingly useful if you have a little ingenuity that the Swiss Military used it too.  You may know that in America, we speak in a militaristic flavor all the time, when we want to convey a sense of "grit" - "an army of police officers, the war on drugs, fighting diabetes, battling cancer".  A single word adds a whole context and nuance to the sort of thing we are trying to achieve with a tool or a group of people, or a public policy, or a natural process, respectively.   

I wholeheartedly and passionately disagree with the following "It is just a word in the end, and words may have actually different meanings, for different people."

Language may be the single most important invention of humankind.  The 6,500 languages around the world.... and even the dozens of varieties of English...  the fact that reading Immanuel Kant in German vs English will give you two very different ideas of what he is saying.... that a word ... such as "multi-tool" or "survival" can mean different things to diffferent people, but the same thing to others in different walks of like or corners of the world.  "Just a word" can convey a metric ton of ideas, nuance, history, and understanding of humanity. 

Language is the single greatest Multi-Tool ever created.
Actually it kind was... considering Switzerland has a Militia :P and while it is probably not as popular among the young anymore, it is still pretty common to give your first service knife to your sweetheart (claim you lost it, then get a new one).

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #139 on: August 23, 2020, 08:13:37 PM
Actually it kind was... considering Switzerland has a Militia :P and while it is probably not as popular among the young anymore, it is still pretty common to give your first service knife to your sweetheart (claim you lost it, then get a new one).

Oh I know it was something that Swiss civilans carried. but I dont think thats what  made them  popular in the US at that particular point in time. 

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #140 on: August 23, 2020, 10:51:33 PM
Perhaps it is an Army Knife that is Swiss, rather than a Knife that is used by the Swiss Army.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #141 on: August 23, 2020, 11:22:40 PM
Perhaps it is an Army Knife that is Swiss, rather than a Knife that is used by the Swiss Army.

That is indeed possible.  While other armies were issuing various bayonets and commando daggers... Victorinox in Switzerland was making these Army Knives, and Camillus in the US was making those Army Knives. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%