Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smith Wesson Tactical Pen Owners (Please read)

cgk · 7 · 6254

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Smith Wesson Tactical Pen Owners (Please read)
on: June 07, 2010, 03:56:28 PM
I am reviewing a S&W Tactical Pen for a trade magazine and would love to hear feedback from all of you that have one.  Please either message me or post on here.  Thank-you.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Smith Wesson Tactical Pen Owners (Please read)
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:40:55 PM
There are two different kinds- one with a screw on cap, and one with a snap on cap.  I have the snap on, while my boss has the screw on.  The pen bodies also have different designs on them- I'll see if I can get you some decent side by side pics if you like.

I really can't comment on which is better, but the screw on cap is sturdier- there's some "flex" to mine where the cap meets the pen and some pressure is applied.  In a normal pen, no one would care, but in an anti ninja defense device, the extra mm could mean the difference between becoming dog food or saving the world from a dark and smelly fate.

With the snap on top, the "lock" comes from plastic insert screwed into the top of the cap, which I found came loose after a little bit of use.  It's a hex bit, so a quick poke with an Allen Wrench replaced it safe and sound, although I was lucky not to lose the pen cap or the screw that holds the insert in as I was away from home when it happened.

I have the gray model, which is more of an OD green, but either way it appears to be hard anodized since these are the only "colors" that HAIII comes in.  In fact, it's not- it's a lighter anodizing coat made to look like a heavier one- I know this, because mine has a nasty mark in it now.

It writes ok, but I think I'd like to see a Fisher cartridge in it.  Instead it comes with a cartridge from Hauser from Germany, although I'm not familiar with that brand.  It seems to work well enough, although I still keep going back to my Fisher Bullets. 

The lanyard ring is a nice touch, although it's a bit small to really get anything into it.  My guess is it's just for show, or even for a metal bail to fit so you can run a lanyard through that.

One amusing thing I found was that it came with sharpening instructions.  In fact, the instructions that came with it were the same instructions S&W (aka the infamous Taylor Craplery) include with all S&W knives, and includes all manner of knife safety info.  I think I'd rather some kind of pen related instructions like refill size and how to access it (not that it's very difficult, but then who the heck needs instructions for a knife?) but that's fine.

All in all, it's a decent enough pen, and at under $30, it's about your only opportunity to get a tactical pen- although that's kind of an amusing concept there, but I won't go into that right now!  With most tactical pens being $80 and up, this fits the needs of the low income or cash strapped mall ninja quite well.

I believe that Taylor also offers the same pen under the Schrade name as well, and possibly something else.

I hope this helps, and I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have.

What magazine are you shooting for?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 04:56:03 PM
Thanks Grant.  I am reviewing the screw-top pen, the other I believe is the Smith and Wesson M&P "tactical" pen.  This is for The Tactical Edge (the periodical for the National Tactical Officers Association).  Reviewers occasionally get sent products to review.  From a SWAT stand-point this pen serves no purpose (using two hands to work a pen in a tactical environment is not smart business) however I do want to review it for what it is....a hard use pen.   

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 05:17:59 PM
Well there you go- you know more about it than I do!  :P

I always figured the silliness of this pen was due to the fact that, supposedly, as a pen, it was less conspicuous as a weapon, and therefore could be carried into places like airports and courthouses where you couldn't take weapons.  Of course, any idiot manning the scanners or even glancing at these things would see that it's not your average pen, and it's a safe bet any pens like this, regardless of brand are probably on the FBI and TSA watch list, rendering them virtually useless.  With that in mind, my Fisher Bullets would be better weapons as they would likely pass through security- and a weapon you have is much better than the nicer weapon you don't have!

I hadn't even considered the silliness of a two handed SWAT pen.....  but you can take your eyes and hands off what you are doing for just a minute, can't you?  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 05:28:57 PM
I was recently demoted (my opinion) to team command, so I could use an inkwell and get away with it.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:02:28 PM
I have the schrade version which is the same thing with slightly different body. It's a sturdy heavy pen, but there are two things I noticed. The clip is very tight, hard to put in and pull out of pocket, I bent mine slightly in a vise and polished it so it's easier to use now, some others broke their clip trying. Another thing is the hole refill protrude through is slightly oversized, so as you write the metal tip of refill moves and sometimes make this click click sounds, could be annoying. I put some mylar tape on the refill tip so it's snug. The hauser refill it come with works fine (I've seen people claim it's pressurized like fisher, it's not), but I swapped for a fisher.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:20:57 PM
Great observations, thanks.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21