Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your input is appreciated!

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Your input is appreciated!
on: June 13, 2010, 09:27:04 PM
Well, I'm new around here, so let me first introduce myself. My name is Mark, I'm 16 years old, and I've had my trusty Swiss Army Knife for a good 2 years. It is my first and only multitool, so I'm in the market for a new one. Ol' Reliable is getting worn down, and he's starting to show his age. I really want to get myself a Leatherman, and I need help choosing one, if it's not too much to ask  :D

First of all, I am looking for outside-access blades, I want to be able to open it 1 handed. This is 100% firm.
It may sound stupid but a bottle opener is highly desirable. The bottle opener was the #2 used function on Reliable (the big knife being #1).
Screwdrivers would be nice, I didn't use the ones on Reliable much because I found them too big and too unwieldy to use much.
Being light, portable, and pocketable is a pretty big deal.
My price range is cheap (I don't yet have a job).

Based on these, I've been mainly looking at the Skeletool, Freestyle, and Wave. I don't like the fact that the freestyle doesn't have the bottle opener/carabiner clip that the Skeletool does, but I DO like the 30 dollar price tag (with free shipping) on Amazon...

What do you guys think? Keeping in mind the knife is going to be the #1 function (pliers probably #2) I use, I would really appreciate your input!

WalkGood,
Mark

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Your input is appreciated!
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:04:36 PM
The wave is your cheapest full sized tool with outside opening features. It is up there in price however, along with the Surge and the various Charge models which are even more expensive.

Looking at the smaller tools, the Skeletool is ok. The Freestyle is best described as a knife with an attached pair of pliers.

The Micra is dirt cheap and plentiful but does not appear to offer what you are looking for. The Style is Leatherman's version of the Victorinox Classic minus the toothpick. Another small tool that does not appear to meet your needs. The same can be said about the Style CS.

Have you considered the smaller keychain tools such as the Squirt P4, and the just released PS4? Maybe a larger Juice S2?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:12:27 PM
I was going to suggest a Juice too. If you have a look at Leathermans' main site you can compare size and features etc to get an idea what they are about. I would suggest looking for something used too if you want to save a few bucks.

Welcome to MTO  :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:23:28 PM
The wave is your cheapest full sized tool with outside opening features. It is up there in price however, along with the Surge and the various Charge models which are even more expensive.

Looking at the smaller tools, the Skeletool is ok. The Freestyle is best described as a knife with an attached pair of pliers.

The Micra is dirt cheap and plentiful but does not appear to offer what you are looking for. The Style is Leatherman's version of the Victorinox Classic minus the toothpick. Another small tool that does not appear to meet your needs. The same can be said about the Style CS.

Have you considered the smaller keychain tools such as the Squirt P4, and the just released PS4? Maybe a larger Juice S2?

Well, yeah, 60 dollars is... OK... I mean, the cheaper the better, but I won't skimp on something so important (I use Reliable almost every day, but I would be using the MT literally every day, multiple times a day.) Your right that the Freestyle is a knife with pliers :D

So I think it's down to the Wave or Skeletool. Why, if I may ask, do you say the Skeletool is "ok"?

Offline Nageek

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 10:35:23 PM
I'm pretty new here myself but I've had my skeletool cx for a good year and a half now - the knife and pliers are pretty nice, and the bottle opener is great at parties :D. It's been a reliable multitool. I definitely recommend it!

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 10:51:12 PM
Hi Mark,

I think based on what you want, outside one hand opening blade, lightweight, screwdrivers and pliers, it has to be the Skeletool  :tu:

I've got a CX model and I really like it. It will of course start you wanting a Wave, then a Charge, then a Crunch...

There are some good reviews on this site as well a good comparison against the Freestyle by Chako with loads of pics  :D

http://www.multitool.org/leatherman-tool-group/medium-tools/leatherman-skeletool.html

http://www.multitool.org/leatherman-tool-group/medium-tools/skeletool-cx.html

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,11838.0.html

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 11:14:49 PM
Thanks both of you... I do want to note that I did read all the leatherman articles/reviews on this site, and checked out the leatherman site a lot before posting... Anyways, I think I'm going to go with the Skeletool, and then maybe if I REALLY feel like it's lacking the tools I need, I'll return it or something... Thanks for the help guys!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 12:11:19 AM
The Skeletool is ok in my books because I still have a mild aversion to its curved handle ergonomics.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 03:13:56 AM
Welcome to the forum Mark :tu: If you need pliers and knife only then Skeley should be fine plus you have that bit driver and bottle opener/carabiner as an extra bonus over the Freestyle :D If you find yourself wanting a few more things then I believe I would go ahead and get the Wave :cheers:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 06:07:15 AM
You would be very happy with either a Wave or Juice S2.  The S2 would harken to the size you are used to, being that it is only 3.5 in long.  The only problem with it is the blades don't lock.  Since you are used to a slipjoint knife this may not matter.  If you don't mind carrying a belt sheath, the Wave is definitely the way to go.  You will love that tool.

Offline Raze

Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 06:07:40 AM
I would vote on the Skeletool too.

If you can get the Wave, go for it. Else, look into the Juice series too

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 06:52:30 AM
i vote for the skeletool. it has everything you want, plus a bit driver. you may no use the drivers now, but once you have a good one its gonna be one of the most used tools. i actually just ordered a k503 knife rather than a skeletool, but i already carry a charge alx and s2, so i didnt need another plier tool. although in my opinion if you are thinking of getting the skeletool cx, maybe consider bumpng up to the charge? its only a few dollars more and adds a lot of features.
(insert witty quote)

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 07:58:00 AM
I think the Skeletool is best in this situation too, because a lot of people seem to be overlooking this: You said you really wanted it to be light and pocketable. While there are certainly tools that are bigger and heavier than the Wave, I personally wouldn't consider it pocketable. Maybe others will find it pockets just fine for whatever reason, but if being pocketable is really a big deal, then the Wave loses all ground against the Skeletool.

Just trying to help, mate!  :)
[

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 09:39:24 AM
Hi Mark! Get either the Skeletool or Wave. Great tools and right for the budget!

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

00 Offline Mate

Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 02:34:53 PM
Welcome to MTO  :D .
+1 vote on the skeletool  ;)
But when you can, get 'em all !  ;) One is never enough!   :D

Off Topic :
(Im one years younger than you  ;)    :D )
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 02:36:41 PM by Mate »

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 02:36:47 PM
I have been edc'ing the skeletool for a few days and it is great!  However, I like to include a small SAK or micra for those little extras.  The driver is the best on any leatherman.  It locks the bit, doesnt fold, and is actually relatively comfortable

welcome here :cheers:

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 07:47:13 PM
I love how amazon's prices for LMs are so cheap. Wave $60, Skeletool $48, Freestyle $28! The micra is $20 dollars and change, i don't know if that's normal or cheaper than everywhere else.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 08:22:49 PM
If you weren't firm on the one hand opening I'd also suggest the Juice for you.  However it sounds to me like you might want to consider a new SAK.  Given what you've said, I'd probably get a new SAK (I don't know which one you have now) and one of the Juice or Squirt models with pliers.  The Wave is an excellent tool, but I'll also suggest that before you buy anything you go play with some of these.  Lowes, sporting goods stores, Walmart almost always have one or more of the LM multis out to play with.  Inevitably you will end up with most if not all the current LM models (hehe) but for right now I'd play with them a bit if I were you.  And really, if you are a huge SAK fan, you might want to check out some of the other LM models that are not one hand opening...you'll be surprised.  :)  Good luck with the search.
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 08:43:01 PM
If you have a Costco near you they have a Freestyle combo for 29.00 that comes with a Freestyle, belt pouch and a Monarch 300 AAA flashlight.
Mike

I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 08:49:21 PM
Just had a thought Mark  :D

If you really need pliers it'll not work but what about a Leatherman H502 knife?? Or the K502 for a 154CM blade  :tu:
http://www.leatherman.com/product/h502/h503

us Offline asupernothing

Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 08:54:52 PM
yea i just ordered the k503, and i should get it tommorow.
until i got my charge i didnt really care about the difference in steel grades, but after using a 154cm blade, i love it.
if you are in the us, it can be had for $45, free shipping.

ill try and post a review of the k503 soon.
(insert witty quote)

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 09:36:41 PM
Well guys, the model I currently have is the Recruit, and the only reason I don't use it, like, every second of every day is because it has so little features. Originally, a few months ago, when I first set out to replace it, I said, I have plenty of other tools, I use the knife the most, I'm going to buy myself a good folding knife. Well, both my old electronics teacher (now mentor) and my new one have Leathermans, so they kinda introduced me to the world of plier-based multitools. I really liked the fact that they had integrated pliers, and were so incredibly versatile. I think the pliers would be an extremely useful function, so I'm not really enthusiastic about giving that up. It's really nice to have all the tools I need in one spot with me at all times (I do a lot of DIY stuff, work on computers, have a small "business" building guitar effects pedals, often help my father with his plethora of repairs and other handyman work (he used to be a contractor) and am on the build team of my school's robotics team). I do LOVE Costco, we go there all the time, but the Freestyle is just not my cup of tea, as I really would like that bottle opener and bit driver... Plus, I don't really need a flashlight.

I like my SAK, but I want more from my multi... even buying a Skeletool would be cutting back in terms of features, to me. Besides, I don't like the knife shape, or the fact that it dings and notches so easily. I much prefer the Leatherman knives in this respect.

One of the biggest complaints I have with Reliable is the fact that I can't open the blade one handed. Sometimes you just don't have two hands!

I'm looking more into the Vic SwissTool, but again, no outside tools, let alone a OHO...

I have to keep thinking about this...

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 09:40:27 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding I think you're confused as to the Swiss Tool.  All the tools are outside opening.  But no OHO I'm afraid  :-\
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Ben X

Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 09:38:13 AM
What is this nonsense? When I was your age, I EDC'ed a Vic Mechanic and Minichamp and I needed nothing more. I didn't want to look like a dork to the ladies with a LM on my belt :P I'm 22 now, I still wear AE/Express clothes and try to hide my Kick sheath under my shirt sometimes- it can be done, makes me sorry I didn't get a PST back in the day. :multi: But there's something women just love about SAK's when they ask "Does anyone have ______?"

Hint: Most of the time it will be scissors, a nail file, or tweezers :P Really a Signature Lite II or Executive on your keys is the way to a woman's heart.  :cheers:

P.S. This same woman who thinks it's cool will bring up your "ridiculous and disturbingly large" knife collection in couple's therapy in 4 years.
"

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 11:11:16 AM
welcome, ive not had a skeletool but popular choice, but for me its a wave  ;)  :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 12:18:53 PM
What is this nonsense? When I was your age, I EDC'ed a Vic Mechanic and Minichamp and I needed nothing more. I didn't want to look like a dork to the ladies with a LM on my belt :P I'm 22 now, I still wear AE/Express clothes and try to hide my Kick sheath under my shirt sometimes- it can be done, makes me sorry I didn't get a PST back in the day. :multi: But there's something women just love about SAK's when they ask "Does anyone have ______?"

Hint: Most of the time it will be scissors, a nail file, or tweezers :P Really a Signature Lite II or Executive on your keys is the way to a woman's heart.  :cheers:

P.S. This same woman who thinks it's cool will bring up your "ridiculous and disturbingly large" knife collection in couple's therapy in 4 years.

If you've been told you look like a dork with a MT on your belt, then the person who said it was a moron.  Also, 22 years old is too young to say "when I was your age".   I have carried a LM on my belt for the last 14 years or so(I am 25), and never once have I been called a dork.  I had it on when I met my wife, when I proposed to her, when we got married, during our honeymoon, the day my son was born, and every day since.  And as far as ridiculously large knife collections go, I have about 30 right now, but I have had as many as 100 at one time, which most folks consider overly large(chako takes the cake here), and my wife never said a word(been together 6 years).  Hell, she has a knife, flashlight, and MT in her car along with two flashlights and a classic on her keys. 

I think you have a skewed perception of women and knives/MT's.

As far as the OP goes, I didn't mention it earlier because I really think the S2 is a perfect fit for you, but I must agree that the Skeletool is an excellent lightweight tool that can be both belt and pocket carried.  The addition of the bit kit makes it a powerful enemy to any fastener that isn't recessed.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 01:00:04 PM
Yeah ALL the tools on the Swisstools open on he outside, which is better more than any other multi out there lol. Also, you could get a larger SAK like a Cybertool or SwissChamp. If you are really firm about the one-hand opening the the Wave is an excellent choice, just keep in mind that in almost a decade of EDCing either a Wave, Charge, or SURGE, never once did I actually need the one hand blade. It was cool, but that was about all. These days I carry a Cybertool 34 and /or a Swisstool Spirit. I'll take faster access to all the tool over the one hand opening blades any day. However, for your budget and if you are really set on OH opening, the Wave is hard to beat, I'm just not sure if it really is the best fit for you.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 07:43:01 PM
Well guys, the model I currently have is the Recruit, and the only reason I don't use it, like, every second of every day is because it has so little features. Originally, a few months ago, when I first set out to replace it, I said, I have plenty of other tools, I use the knife the most, I'm going to buy myself a good folding knife. Well, both my old electronics teacher (now mentor) and my new one have Leathermans, so they kinda introduced me to the world of plier-based multitools. I really liked the fact that they had integrated pliers, and were so incredibly versatile. I think the pliers would be an extremely useful function, so I'm not really enthusiastic about giving that up. It's really nice to have all the tools I need in one spot with me at all times (I do a lot of DIY stuff, work on computers, have a small "business" building guitar effects pedals, often help my father with his plethora of repairs and other handyman work (he used to be a contractor) and am on the build team of my school's robotics team). I do LOVE Costco, we go there all the time, but the Freestyle is just not my cup of tea, as I really would like that bottle opener and bit driver... Plus, I don't really need a flashlight.

I like my SAK, but I want more from my multi... even buying a Skeletool would be cutting back in terms of features, to me. Besides, I don't like the knife shape, or the fact that it dings and notches so easily. I much prefer the Leatherman knives in this respect.

One of the biggest complaints I have with Reliable is the fact that I can't open the blade one handed. Sometimes you just don't have two hands!

I'm looking more into the Vic SwissTool, but again, no outside tools, let alone a OHO...

I have to keep thinking about this...

It sounds like you really want a wave.
I say go for it! You won't be sorry.
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline asupernothing

Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 08:33:34 PM
I didn't want to look like a dork to the ladies with a LM on my belt :P
I still wear AE/Express clothes and try to hide my Kick sheath under my shirt sometimes- it can be done, makes me sorry I didn't get a PST back in the day.

any lady who thinks being prepared is dorky has some issues coming.

as to hiding the sheath, why even bother. most people mistake my LM for a cell phone case. they just assume that i have some fancy blackberry, until it use the LM and prove that there are cooler things than phones to put on your belt.
(insert witty quote)

00 Offline Mate

Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 08:36:31 PM
as to hiding the sheath, why even bother. most people mistake my LM for a cell phone case. they just assume that i have some fancy blackberry, until it use the LM and prove that there are cooler things than phones to put on your belt.

You are right buddy !  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD