Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Interested in a Swisstool

us Offline lovenhim

Interested in a Swisstool
on: June 17, 2010, 02:28:26 AM
Hello everyone.  I am curious about a Swisstool X or RS model.  I for some reason prefer the full size multitools compared to a pocket or keychain models.  I have three full size models which are a Leatherman Supertool, Leatherman Wave, and Sog Powerlock.  What do you think of the Swisstool compared to these models?  I like the heftiness and feel of the Sog Powerlock the best of the three.  I will either have to save up for one of trade some items for one.  I have a post in the EDC trade forum on this.  Thanks for the advice. 
When In doubt, C4

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Interested in a Swisstool
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 02:49:53 AM
My fav multi out of these is the Wave first..then the Swisstool and the Supertool are about equal in my book with the swisstool slightly ahead in terms of quality.

The swisstool is well made. Really you can go wrong with any of these fine tools. I think you will be well impressed when you get a Swisstool...i was.
:like:    :MTO:

Offline zeno

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 03:27:38 AM
I would definitely not count out the Victorinox Spirit plus ratchet. :tu:  I think that it is the best made and most beautiful multitool that I own and I own quite a few.  There may be a few others that can do a bit more or are larger and slightly more heavy duty, but IMHO the Spirit is a working piece of art.  It is something you will be proud to own.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 04:42:28 AM
I have a Swisstool RS , great tool . For EDC I much prefer the Spirit , almost as tuff and capable , nicer to carry and use .

Chris

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 07:13:20 AM
I've owned (then sold at a loss ::)) or used most large MT's out there, but I always come back to the Swisstool, as it's by far and away the best tool for my needs, and I know I can trust it not to break :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 09:33:30 AM
+1 ,like Mike said, I always come back to the Swisstool too,its the only multitool I can really trust ! :tu:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:39:55 AM by CumminsDiesel »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:01:38 AM
My fav multi out of these is the Wave first..then the Swisstool and the Supertool are about equal in my book with the swisstool slightly ahead in terms of quality.

The swisstool is well made. Really you can go wrong with any of these fine tools. I think you will be well impressed when you get a Swisstool...i was.

I agree on the last partsince ive always had LM's i never really wanted a swisstool but heard lots on here raving about them, i decided to take the plunge and i must admit it took a week or so for me to realize how good this tool is, you wont regret getting one,  :tu:

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 11:23:53 AM
i really like the pliers and overall build quality, but the blade play was a bit shocking; also the tools are a bit of a pain to access

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 11:50:04 AM
i really like the pliers and overall build quality, but the blade play was a bit shocking; also the tools are a bit of a pain to access

I found play in most the tools but not so bad i thought the lock would fail, the worse tool to remove i found was the Phillips  :-\ but i got use to it in the end, its one of those tools you need nails for  :D but the more i use mine the more i appreciate it ,

Offline grimm_kaosboy

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 01:46:25 PM
When I first started carring a multi-tool back in the early 90's it was a leatherman first, then I upgraded to a super leatherman. When I first saw the Swisstool I thought "what a hideous, clunky beast" and wasn't even interested in it. I bought a few different multi's being a gadget freak and carried them on and off always returning to the super leatherman. Shrade, Kershaw, SOG and Gerbers came and went. Then I finally decided to get a Swisstool. Never went back to the Leatherman. LOVE the tool. I still need to get a Spirit model (and I want the "butter-knife" original model) but so far the Swisstool does all I need and does it wonderfully. So long as you aren't NEEDING true needle nose pliars they are the king of the hill in my opinion. If true needlenose are needed my prefrence is for a SOG, then Leatherman.
Diffrent strokes for different folks, that's just how I rate the tools.
T

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 02:41:16 PM
Well I will just have to save up for one or get a nice trade.  Seeing that the Wave with extension and bit kit was my first multi I ever bot...I am not sure I could trade it for a Swisstool.  I really do like the Wave but for me because I do not have decent fingernails the tool deployment on the Wave can be a bit tough.  I like the tool clumping and prefer it.  I like the wave and it is nice, but I am not sure if the Swisstool is better for me.  Let me put it this way, I like "the beast" I prefer full size heavy duty tools.  I got a Sog Powerlock in a trade and I love it.  It is smooth, well made, hefty, and feels like it will not break, heck it hardly flexes.
When In doubt, C4

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD