Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hiking knife?

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Re: Hiking knife?
Reply #30 on: June 27, 2010, 12:02:52 AM
Sergemaster definitely deserves nomination as most helpful poster lol. May I ask why so many people are recommending non-folding knives? For some reason when I think of a portable knife I think folding.   :shrug:

Generally, and I do mean generally, for an outdoors/survival type knife, you want a fixed blade.  While there are some very strong locking mechanisms for knives, any type of lock can fail if put under very hard use and that can be disastrous on a hiking trip or survival situation.

Getting a fixed blade removes that possibility, though you often (not always) have to increase the weight of your hiking kit.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 27, 2010, 12:23:59 AM
Less parts, less stuff to fail, dirt in lock could means cut finger and that's the last thing you want in middle of a forest. Also the 3D handle is more comfortable than the two slab construction of folders.

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 01:04:02 AM
That makes sense... alright, I'll keep looking. Maybe I will get a Mora, I can get two for 35 dollars... Ari, if you see this, that's why I don't have 35 dollars to buy your Bear with!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%