Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Normal folders

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Normal folders
on: August 24, 2007, 10:58:43 AM
Hi guys,

Do any of the member's here feel the same way I do about conventional folders?

I mean I look at a nice spyderco or benchmade or even a boker ect ect, and I think that's a very nice knife but how will it open a tin of bean's, or tighten that screw in the bathroom that keep's working it's way loose Or a host of other jobs that a multi or sak would take in there stride? ???

It's got to the point where I haven't bought a normal folding knife for about 3 YEARS :o

So am I the only one who's been permanatly tainted by multi's and sak's, or is there room in your heart's for both?

cheers :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Re: Normal folders
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 12:00:25 PM
I carry both - my Spyderco R2 acts as a money clip in my front pocket and my modified SOG-S62 is in the leather sheath on my belt. The only reason I carry the Spyderco is to hold my folding money, 99% of the cutting is done by my SOG. I've tried smaller " gentlemen's " knives that are designed as money clips but they are useless - to small - both in cutting ability and clip size to hold the money.
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 12:07:10 PM
I carry both - my Spyderco R2 acts as a money clip in my front pocket and my modified SOG-S62 is in the leather sheath on my belt. The only reason I carry the Spyderco is to hold my folding money, 99% of the cutting is done by my SOG. I've tried smaller " gentlemen's " knives that are designed as money clips but they are useless - to small - both in cutting ability and clip size to hold the money.
There's another reason, I have no money to clip to them ;D

I think the whole gentleman knife thing is a little pointless these days, there too small to be truelly useful, but still big enough to be frowned on by the boys in blue over here (if not actually illegal any knife is veiwed with suspition over here in the UK :cry:)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 12:17:47 PM
I have exactly the same problem.  I have considered carrying "normal" knives for a while, but the very limited function just seems like they are a waste of space now.

I usually don't bother anymore, because anything they can do, a SAK or multi can do a bazillion times better.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 12:19:56 PM
I have exactly the same problem.  I have considered carrying "normal" knives for a while, but the very limited function just seems like they are a waste of space now.

I usually don't bother anymore, because anything they can do, a SAK or multi can do a bazillion times better.

Def
Phew so I'm nearly normal then :)

Mind you if I have a similar opinion too you then there's no way I can be considered normal :P ;) ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 12:27:51 PM
That's more or less what I was thinking!  >:D

Seriously, the OHT, Wave, Charge, Ranger etc all have the one handed opening benefits of the tactical folder, the Charge's have the fancy steels and the pocket clips... what does the average tactical folder have over the rest again?

Admittedly they do have a faster deployment than most SAKs or multis, which, if you are attacked is very important.  However, if you are attacked, you likely won't be able to deploy a tactical blade in your defense anyway.  At least a multi has some mass that you could load a fist with and flail away at your opponent without risk of performing any unnecessary self surgery.  And, if you should end up in court, as you most likely will if a weapon ever comes into play, a SAK or multitool certainly looks much less threatening than a tactical knife.

"Honestly your honor, I carry this $800 all titanium tactical folder with spring assisted opening, partially serrated blade just to open the mail and cut my bagel!  It was just fortunate that I hadn't started my low carb diet until after that nasty person attacked me."   :angel:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 12:33:55 PM
That's more or less what I was thinking!  >:D

Seriously, the OHT, Wave, Charge, Ranger etc all have the one handed opening benefits of the tactical folder, the Charge's have the fancy steels and the pocket clips... what does the average tactical folder have over the rest again?

Admittedly they do have a faster deployment than most SAKs or multis, which, if you are attacked is very important.  However, if you are attacked, you likely won't be able to deploy a tactical blade in your defense anyway.  At least a multi has some mass that you could load a fist with and flail away at your opponent without risk of performing any unnecessary self surgery.  And, if you should end up in court, as you most likely will if a weapon ever comes into play, a SAK or multitool certainly looks much less threatening than a tactical knife.

"Honestly your honor, I carry this $800 all titanium tactical folder with spring assisted opening, partially serrated blade just to open the mail and cut my bagel!  It was just fortunate that I hadn't started my low carb diet until after that nasty person attacked me."   :angel:

Def
Ha Ha, i like it!

I've never used a multi as a fist load, does it actually work, (I'm more used to palm strikes up close) ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 12:49:34 PM
Any solid weight in your hand will work- some multis are better than others for that kind of work though.  The SOG Compound Leverage models have those nice gears that leave a hell of a nice mark on impact and the small teeth can rip a bit, and transfer the shock better into a muscle group than a flat surface would.

Good old blunt trauma words better for personal defense than a blade does anyway.  A good, sharp, well maintained blade will cause very little pain to the target, and the only real benefit is the massive amounts of damage you inflict, and the psychological advantage a cut can make.  Impact tools can subdue an opponent just as fast without the long term damage.  Unless you have the option of going to lethal force, you should keep a blade out of play.  Virtually any multi will make a much better impact weapon than any tactical folder due to the added weight.

What also turns me off is the significant cost involved in a tactical folder.  The amount of actual function is limited, but the cost is significant, especially if you try to add function to it.  Surefire's Delta knife is a prime example of that.  $400+ for a one handed opening tactical multitool with about as many features as a $50 Leatherman Fuse, and significantly less than a $50 Victorinox Spirit.

I could go on, but you get the idea!   ;D

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 01:38:43 PM
For normal EDC you cant beat a SAK or other multitool . But ( theres always a but ) a dedicated folder is needed sometimes . I dont do the whole tactical self defence thing with knives and cant really think of a much worse weapon ( they make soooo much mess ) but when a knife is needed in a hurry then there is a need for a one handed opening pocket clip serrated knife , Oh hell I've just gone all tactical  :o Please tell me yellows not a tactical colour  ;D

Dunc

Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 01:43:04 PM
For normal EDC you cant beat a SAK or other multitool . But ( theres always a but ) a dedicated folder is needed sometimes . I dont do the whole tactical self defence thing with knives and cant really think of a much worse weapon ( they make soooo much mess ) but when a knife is needed in a hurry then there is a need for a one handed opening pocket clip serrated knife , Oh hell I've just gone all tactical  :o Please tell me yellows not a tactical colour  ;D

Dunc
If your storming a life boat it might be ;D

As a rescue blade i can see the point of a single bladed type folder, but even then victorinox's new rescue tool make a mockery of that assesment too ;) ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 01:45:17 PM
I have an OHT that is both one handed opening (duh!) and has a pocket clip!

I also have two Charges that are one handed opening and have pocket clips.

Plus they open cans and bottles, tighten screws, saw, file etc!

Althought I suppose I can forgive you for the Spyderco Salt since I want to get an orange handled Spydie Rescue...

Def

Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 01:46:25 PM
Any solid weight in your hand will work- some multis are better than others for that kind of work though.  The SOG Compound Leverage models have those nice gears that leave a hell of a nice mark on impact and the small teeth can rip a bit, and transfer the shock better into a muscle group than a flat surface would.

Good old blunt trauma words better for personal defense than a blade does anyway.  A good, sharp, well maintained blade will cause very little pain to the target, and the only real benefit is the massive amounts of damage you inflict, and the psychological advantage a cut can make.  Impact tools can subdue an opponent just as fast without the long term damage.  Unless you have the option of going to lethal force, you should keep a blade out of play.  Virtually any multi will make a much better impact weapon than any tactical folder due to the added weight.

What also turns me off is the significant cost involved in a tactical folder.  The amount of actual function is limited, but the cost is significant, especially if you try to add function to it.  Surefire's Delta knife is a prime example of that.  $400+ for a one handed opening tactical multitool with about as many features as a $50 Leatherman Fuse, and significantly less than a $50 Victorinox Spirit.

I could go on, but you get the idea!   ;D

Def
Mmm I,ll bear that one in mind, touch wood it been almost 2 years since I last got into an altercation!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 01:48:24 PM
Yeah, I don't get into many myself, but in my old career I was a use of force and defensive tactics instructor.  Plus I worked with dogs so the amount of altercations I actually got in while on duty dropped drastically with Pete around!

Def

Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 01:52:16 PM
Yeah, I don't get into many myself, but in my old career I was a use of force and defensive tactics instructor.  Plus I worked with dogs so the amount of altercations I actually got in while on duty dropped drastically with Pete around!

Def
i bet it did :o There something about a mouth full of teeth and raw aggresion that put's people off ;D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 01:57:00 PM
Quote from: micky d
i bet it did :o There something about a mouth full of teeth and raw aggresion that put's people off ;D

And then there was the dog aswell.....:grin:
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 01:59:10 PM
Quote from: micky d

And then there was the dog aswell.....:grin:
:D :D :D

good one mate! :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 03:33:24 PM
Many folks often said that Pete was the tame one.  I have to agree with them.

He was also the smart one and he drove better than most folks in Toronto did!

Def

Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 03:46:53 PM
Many folks often said that Pete was the tame one.  I have to agree with them.

He was also the smart one and he drove better than most folks in Toronto did!

Def
Maybe you should have called him Clyde instead :P

remember him?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 03:53:36 PM
I haven't seen that movie in years!   ;D

Funny story, and absolutely true since we are way OT anyways... :P

Pete and I were getting form one job to another in my old '91 VW Fox.  We got off the highway to get gas and something to eat.  Pete knew what a drive through was so when we pulled in, he hopped up into my lap, and I placed my order at the box, which just happened to be behind the building.  I carefully drove around the building, very slowly, with this giant white dog in my lap.  When I got to the window there were half a dozen McDonald's employees crowded in the window staring at us.  It seems when they looked out the window all they saw was this giant white dog sitting in the driver's seat and they couldn't see me behind him!

Def

Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 03:56:46 PM
I haven't seen that movie in years!   ;D

Funny story, and absolutely true since we are way OT anyways... :P

Pete and I were getting form one job to another in my old '91 VW Fox.  We got off the highway to get gas and something to eat.  Pete knew what a drive through was so when we pulled in, he hopped up into my lap, and I placed my order at the box, which just happened to be behind the building.  I carefully drove around the building, very slowly, with this giant white dog in my lap.  When I got to the window there were half a dozen McDonald's employees crowded in the window staring at us.  It seems when they looked out the window all they saw was this giant white dog sitting in the driver's seat and they couldn't see me behind him!

Def
Must of been a BIGdog then :P

Great story mate, you need to get a responsible moderator on this site to keep thing on topic and soon ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 03:59:19 PM
Only about 80 pounds or so... but he was white and on a bright day it's hard to see inside a car.

What's a "Moderator?"  Sounds painful...   >:D

Def

Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 04:01:28 PM

What's a "Moderator?"  Sounds painful...   >:D

Def
Someone who sits around all day with nothing to do, while pretending they have a life, and who ocationally flex's his mighty power's and ban's people ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 05:13:16 PM
Hey, it's been a while since I banned someone! :p

Def

Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 05:25:46 PM
Hey, it's been a while since I banned someone! :p

Def
Well, I've still got to lose my banning virginity so save me some spam please ;) ;D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 05:44:01 PM
What would happen if we banned Def  :grin: and blocked his I.P he wouldnt be able to get back in and the site would be all ours  >:D  :ahhh :ahhh  Mutiny hoist the jolly roger

Dunc

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 05:49:23 PM
Mutiny? 

I guess that the beatings will continue until morale improves. :twak: :twak: :twak:

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 05:59:32 PM

Def

I like to go and check out all he new knives out there (I have to make a pilgrimage to SMKW about once a month.) But I see all these ultra-cool "tactical" knives and I look at them and just see that they do way too little for what they cost...The only plus that they have over what I carry every day is that they are one-handed, but they can't open a bottle or tighten a screw or nut. To borrow a term from Alton Brown, I dislike "unitaskers" If I'm going to spend 80 bucks(I'm being conservative b/c I know there are a lot more expensive types out there) for a knife, I'd rather just plunk it down on a wave and have all the pluses of a one handed opener and all the goodies of a quality tool...and people don't freak out as much when they see a multitool instead of an assisted opening folder...but they'll still call you MacGyver, though.... :(

I hope this gets back OT....but I've already hoisted the Jolly roger! But how many forums out there discuss dogs driving cars?
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 06:30:35 PM
Fortunately not too many....  ;D

Def

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 06:36:24 PM
MT's have definetely lessened my interest in "normal" knives, but in my mind there's no question that many dedicated folders are superior knives to any found on a MT. That being said, in everyday life (for me at least) there isn't any situations that come up where a MT knife won't do the job.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 06:54:02 PM
I flip-flop back and forth between my interest in knives and multi-tools. Since I always EDC one of each it's kind of incidental which I prefer but I generally use the multi-tool for only non-knife tasks. I think their's room for both since each different type can learn things from the other and they work very well in harmony.

The advantages offered by a "tactical" knife really make-up for their single-use function. There is not a one-handed multi that can hold a candle to a properly design folding knife in regards to ergonomics. The flagship one-handed multi, the Leatherman Charge/Wave is covered with hotspots, slippery when oily and much thicker/heavier than most folding knives. But it has dozens more functions, so it's always a trade-off, which is fine because it's easy to carry one of each.

Folding knives also give so much more options in regards to blade styles, shapes, locks, handles/materials, and so on. To each his own, but I'll take both.  :multi:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%