Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Normal folders

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Normal folders
Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 06:56:15 PM
What would happen if we banned Def  :grin: and blocked his I.P he wouldnt be able to get back in and the site would be all ours  >:D  :ahhh :ahhh  Mutiny hoist the jolly roger

Dunc
I,ll bring the grog arghh :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 06:59:48 PM
I flip-flop back and forth between my interest in knives and multi-tools. Since I always EDC one of each it's kind of incidental which I prefer but I generally use the multi-tool for only non-knife tasks. I think their's room for both since each different type can learn things from the other and they work very well in harmony.

The advantages offered by a "tactical" knife really make-up for their single-use function. There is not a one-handed multi that can hold a candle to a properly design folding knife in regards to ergonomics. The flagship one-handed multi, the Leatherman Charge/Wave is covered with hotspots, slippery when oily and much thicker/heavier than most folding knives. But it has dozens more functions, so it's always a trade-off, which is fine because it's easy to carry one of each.

Folding knives also give so much more options in regards to blade styles, shapes, locks, handles/materials, and so on. To each his own, but I'll take both.  :multi:
That's a pretty good argument there mate, I used to carry both too, but carrying a tactical knife is just to much of a no no, this side of the pond :cry:

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #32 on: August 24, 2007, 07:17:17 PM

I hope this gets back OT....but I've already hoisted the Jolly roger! But how many forums out there discuss dogs driving cars?

Sorry Sparkey  :( Wont do it again  ;)

Dunc

Offline Papacat

Reply #33 on: August 24, 2007, 07:38:46 PM
I carry both my LM p-4 and my Gerber Ridge with me to work.  I use the folder because it's small and ready to use discreetly.  My work isn't fond of anyone carrying any type of sharp objects around with them.

-Papacat 
"

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #34 on: August 24, 2007, 11:44:00 PM

I hope this gets back OT....but I've already hoisted the Jolly roger! But how many forums out there discuss dogs driving cars?

Sorry Sparkey  :( Wont do it again  ;)

Dunc

No problem... :grin:
"

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 25, 2007, 12:08:27 AM
A month or two ago, a guy saw my SwissChamp XLT, and said he can do just as many things (save the pliers and the magnifying glass) with his 700 (American dollars) Strider knife.  ::)
[

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #36 on: August 25, 2007, 12:17:45 AM
A month or two ago, a guy saw my SwissChamp XLT, and said he can do just as many things (save the pliers and the magnifying glass) with his 700 (American dollars) Strider knife.  ::)
Of course he could. First: sell the Strider. Second: use the money to buy a SwissChamp XLT. Third: break off the pliars and magnifying glass. Its as easy as 1,2,3...   ::) :D

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 25, 2007, 02:31:40 AM
Well, if I chose my tools right, that third step won't be too easy!  ;) :D
[

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #38 on: August 25, 2007, 02:35:42 AM
Well, if I chose my tools right, that third step won't be too easy!  ;) :D
Well, with the money left over from selling the strider, maybe he could buy a vise-grip, hammer, or metal saw or something to help him out...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #39 on: August 25, 2007, 02:40:59 AM

Maybe, but you can do it $550 cheaper!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #40 on: August 25, 2007, 08:52:42 AM
You should have challenged him, then sat back while he cried real tears when the tip of the strider broke off during the opening screwdriver round ;D

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #41 on: August 25, 2007, 02:22:49 PM
Actually I will admit, due to my job I rarely cary a multitool. Since I own something like 30 folders or so, I rotate around a bit and keep a tool in my car or lunchbox so it's not too far away.

David

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 25, 2007, 03:21:37 PM
His best arguement was a video from YouTube that he found, of two guys destroying a cheap airsoft gun with Strider knives, is was mostly just them taking turns stabbing it.

He told me I could never do that with a Victorinox, because it would fold in on me.

So I had to find a new wasteful activity. ;) :o
[

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #43 on: August 25, 2007, 04:37:48 PM
At least you could take apart the airsoft gun with a swisschamp and then put it back together. 

Reply #44 on: April 08, 2008, 11:23:08 PM
Thought I'd revive this thread, as I've still not altered my opinions, but a lot of prominant members have been carrying single bladed folders of late, so I guess there's leg's in this discusion yet :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #45 on: April 08, 2008, 11:55:59 PM
I have been carrying a folder for quite a while now.  I find a OH blade to be very handy, so I carry either a Boker Subcom or a Spyderco Pride.  The Spyderco gets caried a lot more than the Boker as it is a legal EDC.

I always carry one with a SAK and MT though and would never chose it if for some reason I could only carry 1 item.  I just find it a handy addition to my EDC's.
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #46 on: April 09, 2008, 12:13:18 AM
With the exception of carrying my Spyderco occasionally I haven't carried a regular folder for years. My SAK's and MT's have been able to handle everything I've needed them too. Crime is pretty low in my area so I don't worry about needing a "fighting knife".
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #47 on: April 09, 2008, 12:36:14 AM
I'm pretty well the same- the Skeletool isn't much larger than many tactical folders, and does much more.  I use screwdrivers, scissors, cap lifters and so on more often than the blade, so a folder with a blade and nothing else isn't much use to me.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #48 on: April 09, 2008, 09:03:13 AM
It is hard to see why you'd carry a folding knife solo, paired witha Sak or MT I can can see the point, but I'd say the Wave/Charge Oht/120mm Wenger's to name a few have rendered the tactical folder obsolete :)

Offline crocodilo

Reply #49 on: April 10, 2008, 11:53:02 PM
A dedicated one hand locking folder with a clip is a darn good thing to have at hand. I always carry one, plus a SAK or multitool, and I find they get out of the pocket into action about the same number of times, for different purposes. Reaching into a pocket (with one hand) and opening a blade with a fingernail (the other hand) just to open a letter of a bag of chips is too much time consuming. I find the one hand capability very important, not for SD but for speed, ease and safety. Besides, the blade on a dedicated folder is usually a lot stronger than on most SAKs/MTs. Even a modest Delica or Mini-Grip will outperform the blade on a Charge or OHT in every aspect (ergonomics also play a role here).

My priority in EDC goes like:
0. Watch and wedding ring (only objects I sleep and shower with)
1. Knife
2. Light
3. SAK/MT

Of course, I always carry at least one of each... plus (most of the time) glasses, pen, cell phone, keys, wallet and some clothes and shoes...

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:59:02 PM by crocodilo »
A

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #50 on: April 11, 2008, 01:50:08 AM
My priority in EDC goes like:
0. Watch and wedding ring (only objects I sleep and shower with)
1. Knife
2. Light
3. SAK/MT
My priority is
1. Cane
2. Wallet
3. SAK or multi-tool(lately my new Fieldmaster)
4. Cell phone
5. Lighter
6. My keys(if I'm driving, which is rare)

I didn't count my wedding ring because I never take it off so I don't consider it EDC.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #51 on: April 11, 2008, 03:47:09 AM
I'm 30% mall ninja, so I'm required to carry both (two spydercos, a sak, and a multi).

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #52 on: April 11, 2008, 03:56:37 AM
I used to carry those "Tactical Folders",  but now I carry SAK/multis due to the fact that I'm at an age I don't forsee me being involved in any forms of bloodsoaked mayhem :angel:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #53 on: April 11, 2008, 04:05:17 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Micky and Def, I find myself carrying my regular folders less and less now.
I really like the versatility of my OHT and other SAKs. Why carry just a single folding blade?

A dedicated folder does not out perform my OHT for EDC.
A dedicated folder may have speed and more strength, but I'd rather have a fixed blade for that.

I've gone to the dark side with Micky and Defender! :ahhh
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 05:54:56 AM by WhichDawg »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #54 on: April 11, 2008, 05:49:55 AM
I'm not sure why are you guys calling them "tactical knives". Just because they have one hand opening doesn't make them tactical, they are still just simple pocket knives. Heck my EDC, spyderco centofante 3, is advertised as a gentleman's knife.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: April 11, 2008, 06:23:22 AM
MT all the way!!!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: April 11, 2008, 01:31:25 PM
I like normal folders, especially one-hand open/close models. The wide variety of steels, blade types and handle shapes/materials has always been an attraction for me. Weight is another issue, the lightest full-size multi cannot be clipped to a shirt pocket comfortably but I can carry some quite large folders this way without any weight issues. Couple this with the fact that I am left-handed and there has yet to be a multitool that is truly accommodating of this quirk, normal folders will probably remain a staple of my pocket forever.

Now, I see quite clearly the disparity in utility between the typical folder and the typical SAK/Multi. I would be quite cheesed off should I become stranded on a desert island with just my folder, although I suppose I could carve a PST out of a coconut or something if I got really desperate.

For most people I know a good SAK/MT would serve them much better than a regular pocket knife. They just don't carry them, I think weight and lack of sexiness are the main issues in my little circle of associates. I shall continue to ring the multi bell to all I meet but I continue to note a lack of success.

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #57 on: April 11, 2008, 03:33:22 PM
I think it depends on what activity you are engaged in. While Multi Tools do lots of things well they are not always the best tool for the job. When I'm doing landscape work I'm much more likely to have a pair of pruners or a fixed blade on my belt rather than a MT. I agree that for EDC a good MT is a great solution when you don't know what the day will bring.

Offline Carthas

Reply #58 on: April 11, 2008, 03:35:08 PM
I'm a multitool man all the way, but I do sometimes find myself wanting a budget folder or fixed blade that I can (ab)use. Otherwise, I've never come across something to cut where I've wished I had a good folder. The blade on my Wave is fast enough and easy enough for me.

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #59 on: April 11, 2008, 03:35:50 PM
Oh I guess I forgot to add that 6 out of 7 days you will find a Benchmade clipped to my pocket. Sure there is a MT on my person as well but for sheer cutting stuff it's hard to beat a good one hand folder.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%