Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Normal folders

Offline damota

Re: Normal folders
Reply #60 on: April 11, 2008, 04:58:26 PM
All multi-tools are a compromise, they do no job as good as a dedicated tool would. Even more so if you spent the same money for each of those separate tools. For the price though you can have a lot of reasonable tools in a package.
All folders are not tactical even if the manufacturer call them that to help sell them or the press state they are to sell their copy. Most even if used by the militry are just used as a civilian would and not tactical not unless you use the term 'to tactically open a letter'.  :P They are a useful tool, many made with blade shapes made of steels not available in multi-tools and never will be. Size and cost stops it. The UK Spyderco I EDC is used every day, because the blade although ?short? enough to be UK legal is made of S30V steel and is (thanks to the hole for one hand opening) deep with a flat grind so is as useful in the kitchen as it is in the field. Because it is of such a simple design it is very easy to keep clean. It is used for every thing I have to cut, except at mealtime (it is often then in the washing up) where I use a normal knife and fork (a spoon sometimes  :) ). The CRKT Edgie is as useful with, because of the way the single grind is auto sharpened a micro serrated edge that is great for slicing tomato's and other soft skinned fruits and meat (it only has a 440c blade though and I worry about cleaning it because of the slim sharpener in the handle). 
The way the Spiderco was designed gives it another advantage in a country that frowns on locking blades there is a finger coil at the blade/handle hinge that makes just holding the knife to cut something a blocking (not locking) mechanism to stop the blade folding in on your fingers.
The knife on my multi is only used if I am already using the tool for something else.

Dave

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Re: Normal folders
Reply #61 on: April 11, 2008, 06:33:39 PM
Hi guys,

Do any of the member's here feel the same way I do about conventional folders?

I mean I look at a nice spyderco or benchmade or even a boker ect ect, and I think that's a very nice knife but how will it open a tin of bean's, or tighten that screw in the bathroom that keep's working it's way loose Or a host of other jobs that a multi or sak would take in there stride? ???

It's got to the point where I haven't bought a normal folding knife for about 3 YEARS :o

So am I the only one who's been permanatly tainted by multi's and sak's, or is there room in your heart's for both?

cheers :)

Several years back I got my first pocket-clipped, one-hand-opening folder.

Lowes had the Gerber AR 3.0 marked down to half-price and even threw in a free Gerber pocket diamond sharpener along with the knife.  At the time I didn't think I needed another knife, but it was too good a deal to pass up.

I carried and used that Gerber AR3.0 for a while.  I got spoiled by the convenience of always being able grab the knife without having to dig down in my pocket, and being able to cut things quickly and easily with just ONE HAND.

Ever since then, I don't like being without some sort of one-hand-opening knife clipped to my pocket.

I really couldn't care less if it's 'tactical' or has a 'super steel' blade.  I'm about as happy carrying my $8 Kobalt folding razor knife as a $75 Benchmade or Spyderco.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD