Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Huntsman, which version, how old?

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Old Huntsman, which version, how old?
on: June 29, 2010, 06:15:11 PM
A few months ago my mother showed me the SAK of my grandfather (who died more than 10 years ago) and I managed to get it for me  :D It needed some cleaning, and the blades look terrible due to a lot of misuse, but everything works fine and of course it has a special meaning to me. It seems to be a Huntsman, but it has no hook, no tweezers and no toothpick. I have read about a Huntsman economy, but I was a little bit confused because there were versions with hook and without hook, and maybe this SAK is just too old for the hook  :think:
Maybe you can help me to identify this SAK and can give me an idea how old it might be.
Some pictures of the important details (I hope):
Huntsman_01.jpg
* Huntsman_01.jpg (Filesize: 54.56 KB)
Huntsman_02.jpg
* Huntsman_02.jpg (Filesize: 55.82 KB)

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Re: Old Huntsman, which version, how old?
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 06:15:51 PM
More pictures:
Huntsman_03.jpg
* Huntsman_03.jpg (Filesize: 56.13 KB)
Huntsman_04.jpg
* Huntsman_04.jpg (Filesize: 51.75 KB)

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 06:16:24 PM
And even more...
Huntsman_05.jpg
* Huntsman_05.jpg (Filesize: 46.54 KB)
Huntsman_06.jpg
* Huntsman_06.jpg (Filesize: 54.82 KB)

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 06:36:55 PM
It looks like an Economy scaled Huntsman with no Hook as you have said. This would date it to around 1991-1992 since it has the sewing eye in the Awl but no hook.

Typical economy scales were made with a Hot Stamped triangular Swiss Cross and Shield and no insert slots(toothpick and tweezers). Some economy knives might have been made leaving out a tool as well like your model here that has no hook.
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Hook - Hook date details
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Reamer - Awl/Reamer date details

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 07:34:37 PM
Thanks, that might be possible! There is some kind of engraving on the larger blade which contains the address of the company, and it has the 4-digit ZIP-code we had until 1993. So it is definitively pre 1993.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 07:40:40 PM
You should also keep in mind that Victorinox did produce custom runs of knives for customers and this might be something like that. I have seen other custom knives made with an odd assortment of tools or missing tools that it might have if bought from their regular line.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 07:44:18 PM
I don't think that this is a custom run. The "engraving" says that it comes from a quite small local company, and I don't believe that they ordered a custom knife from Victorinox.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 11:46:12 PM
Where is the key ring attachment -in the pen blade spacer or on the opener backspring?

Best date I'd give this right now is between 1987 - 1991. Like stressmaster said, the hook appears in 1991, so this was made before that. Since this is an Eco knife, there is no grooved corkscrew to look for (all Eco knives had solid corkscrews AFAIK). The tang stamp indicates a 1987+ date. Hole in the awl is 1986+. Most likely it has the key ring attachment on the pen blade spacer, so I'd put it in the 1987 - 1990 range.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 08:27:03 AM
Where is the key ring attachment -in the pen blade spacer or on the opener backspring?
Help me with this, please. I am not familiar to all the layers and how they are named  :think:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 11:16:23 AM
Help me with this, please. I am not familiar to all the layers and how they are named  :think:

Most SAKs have a keyring attachment point (not all) that is either a part of the spring that runs underneath the can and bottle openers or is on a separate piece of metal that slots in next to the small blade.  I hope that helps :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 06:34:45 PM
Most SAKs have a keyring attachment point (not all) that is either a part of the spring that runs underneath the can and bottle openers or is on a separate piece of metal that slots in next to the small blade.  I hope that helps :)
Yes, that helps, thanks Neil  :)

The keyring is on a seperate layer next to the small blade. The tip of the large blade points right onto it when it is closed. (My new Huntsman lite has the other keyring attatchment point. I never realized that it was a part of the springs that move when I open the bottle opener  :climber:)

I found another detail on http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Scissors about the scissors:
In 1990 Victorinox redesigned the scissors spring and handle again. The spring now has a "cam" end which is a slightly inverted cup. This design change was to aid in keeping the spring in constant contact with a newly designed scissors handle that has a "guiding groove" to the back side of the movable handle.
The SAK has no guiding groove on the back side of the movable handle, so it has to be pre 1990, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:00:36 PM by Turnstone »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 02:50:17 AM
The SAK has no guiding groove on the back side of the movable handle, so it has to be pre 1990, I guess.

Yep - in almost every case, if it has that groove, it has the key ring attachment on the opener backspring. I looked at some of my eco knives last night, and it turns out I have the exact same knife. I date between 1987 and 1990.

gb Offline SteveMr170

Reply #12 on: April 15, 2022, 11:36:08 PM
This was very helpful. I have almost the same knife. Same scales and tools BUT the awl has no hole and the other side of the blade has 'economy' written on it.

Can anyone estimate a date frame for mine?

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #13 on: April 15, 2022, 11:56:52 PM
This was very helpful. I have almost the same knife. Same scales and tools BUT the awl has no hole and the other side of the blade has 'economy' written on it.

Can anyone estimate a date frame for mine?

gb Offline SteveMr170

Reply #14 on: April 16, 2022, 02:20:52 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks! Can you tell me where I can find that?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%