Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Idea's lost to history that should make a return ?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Idea's lost to history that should make a return ?
on: February 23, 2008, 10:53:58 PM
In all of the great inventions and technologies that currently grace our lives, what piece of engineering that failed to take off in its day, should be brought back ???

For my money its the Ekranoplan :), fast, fuel effiecient (once you get them off the surface) and a very interesting concept :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekranoplan

The only thing wrong with the russian versions was that it just wasn't big enough to work as effiencently as it could have done :o

Here's the obligatory you tube link :D

What about you guys :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Re: Idea's lost to history that should make a return ?
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:14:26 PM
If you wana see it in the flesh, tap these co-ordinates into google earth :)

42°52′54″N, 47°39′24″E

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 12:18:02 AM
There is actually an article on GEV's in the latest Popular Mechanics.  Of course, they are personal sized models, not the giants in that Wikipedia link.  As interesting as they seem to be, they really only function over the water, and even then, only in good weather.  It's unfortunate that the idea is not likely to see any significant widespread use any time soon as a result.

I see container ships in the harbour all the time and one would need many of the largest ones to equal the current seagoing behemoths.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 10:22:11 PM
There is actually an article on GEV's in the latest Popular Mechanics.  Of course, they are personal sized models, not the giants in that Wikipedia link.  As interesting as they seem to be, they really only function over the water, and even then, only in good weather.  It's unfortunate that the idea is not likely to see any significant widespread use any time soon as a result.

I see container ships in the harbour all the time and one would need many of the largest ones to equal the current seagoing behemoths.

Def
The Russians did get a lot further on the original ekranoplane idea, they've even got one capable or cruising at 10,000ft, and was operable in all weather conditions.

But you are right, there's no infrastructure to make them work, yes they can use ports, but then so can ships, and almost all other freight can be moved via convential aircraft.

So while they have no real place in the world at the moment, like the airship I hope they make a return :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 12:16:50 AM
The Russians weren't the only ones that had great technology for the time.  There was lots of stuff the Nazis had under development and on paper that would have eventually changed the world.  While I don't have too many specific instances, they were only a little bit behind the US in nuclear research, but farther along with the jet engine.  They also had better overall airframe designs, and the fact that we still have VW and Porsche cars on the road proves that their automotive designs were first rate.

While I certainly can't support the Aryan domination, death camps and the like, I do have to wonder what other gizmos and doodads the Nazis had under development.  These days with so many fiction writers and conspiracy theorists going on at great length about Nazi tech it's hard to say what was real and what wasn't.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 01:05:04 AM
, but farther along with the jet engine. 

I'm 99% sure the Germans had the first jet that was put to use on a large scale...the Me 262.  A big drawback was that it was too fast...it would zip past the American and British propeller planes without enough time to line up a shot. 
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 01:13:44 AM
True, but then that's a matter of tactics.  By flying that fast, the ME 262 could easily infiltrate enemy airspace for reconnaissance  or blitzkrieg.  And, when enemy forces technology caught up, the Luftwaffe pilots would have significantly more experience, keeping them one step ahead when all else was even.

Def

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 09:06:51 AM
The Russians weren't the only ones that had great technology for the time.  There was lots of stuff the Nazis had under development and on paper that would have eventually changed the world.  While I don't have too many specific instances, they were only a little bit behind the US in nuclear research, but farther along with the jet engine.  They also had better overall airframe designs, and the fact that we still have VW and Porsche cars on the road proves that their automotive designs were first rate.

While I certainly can't support the Aryan domination, death camps and the like, I do have to wonder what other gizmos and doodads the Nazis had under development.  These days with so many fiction writers and conspiracy theorists going on at great length about Nazi tech it's hard to say what was real and what wasn't.

Def
Check out this site for just the aviation based stuff (yes I'm a geek) http://www.luft46.com/

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 08:57:07 PM
 Aviation related......has "The Arrow Will Fly" ever been released to DVD? Super great flick about CF-105 Avro Arrow starring Dan Ackroyd
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 09:11:50 PM
I don't know, I haven't seen it anywhere.  Good movie, although I think the Avro Arrow has been placed on a pedestal that's a little too high.  No doubt it was revolutionary at the time, but I sincerely doubt the extraordinary claims made about it since it's cancellation.  National pride and sensationalism  should never be part of the historic record.  No one can deny that it was the most advanced fighter plane of it's time, but then all aircraft in the design and testing stages are the most advanced of their time.  Otherwise, why design and test them?

Also, I've heard it said that only the most modern fighter planes (F-22 etc) have managed to surpass the Arrow.  I doubt this very much.  The Arrow was a beauty alright, but it was also a giant, and I have no doubt that smaller, faster, lighter and more maneuverable craft like the F-18 and F-16 would have mopped the floor with it.  Sure it carried more firepower, but that doesn't mean a hill of beans if the other guy cuts into your circle and cuts you to ribbons before you can pull the trigger!

If it hadn't died a premature death I am certain we'd look on it merely as a respectable old plane with a proud history, similar to the F-4 Phantom.  Still, Canada would have made billions selling them all over the world, and that was a bit of a hurt, but nowadays governments spend and horde billions of dollars every day so we can't even use it as an excuse for a poor economy! :P

For those unfamiliar with the Arrow...

Def

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 09:31:05 PM
I vote for the German flying saucer.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 09:32:32 PM

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 09:35:37 PM
More here.

http://www.naziufos.com/NEWSCL/index.htm

At least it's good for a laugh, & who knows...

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 10:06:09 PM
Here are a few that I wish would return.

Being polite.
Knowing your neighbors.
Not giving prizes and ribbons to those that fail.
Not advancing students even though they can't hardly read, write, or solve simple math problems.
Teaching kids how to tell time using an analog clock/watch.
And most importantly ..... common sense. Which doesn't seem so common anymore, so maybe we shouldn't call it "common" sense, maybe just call it "used to be common" sense.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 10:08:48 PM
I don't know, I haven't seen it anywhere.  Good movie, although I think the Avro Arrow has been placed on a pedestal that's a little too high.  No doubt it was revolutionary at the time, but I sincerely doubt the extraordinary claims made about it since it's cancellation.  National pride and sensationalism  should never be part of the historic record.  No one can deny that it was the most advanced fighter plane of it's time, but then all aircraft in the design and testing stages are the most advanced of their time.  Otherwise, why design and test them?

Also, I've heard it said that only the most modern fighter planes (F-22 etc) have managed to surpass the Arrow.  I doubt this very much.  The Arrow was a beauty alright, but it was also a giant, and I have no doubt that smaller, faster, lighter and more maneuverable craft like the F-18 and F-16 would have mopped the floor with it.  Sure it carried more firepower, but that doesn't mean a hill of beans if the other guy cuts into your circle and cuts you to ribbons before you can pull the trigger!

If it hadn't died a premature death I am certain we'd look on it merely as a respectable old plane with a proud history, similar to the F-4 Phantom.  Still, Canada would have made billions selling them all over the world, and that was a bit of a hurt, but nowadays governments spend and horde billions of dollars every day so we can't even use it as an excuse for a poor economy! :P

For those unfamiliar with the Arrow...

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
I was/am a big fan of the arrow, and like our TSR2, it really is one of those should have been projects :(, as for the manoeverabilty question, it was designed to fight Badger's Bison's and Bears, and I'm pretty sure it can out turn those :D

But then no fighter of that era (except maybe the F8 and the Lightning) were dog fighters :(

Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 10:09:47 PM
Here are a few that I wish would return.

Being polite.
Knowing your neighbors.
Not giving prizes and ribbons to those that fail.
Not advancing students even though they can't hardly read, write, or solve simple math problems.
Teaching kids how to tell time using an analog clock/watch.
And most importantly ..... common sense. Which doesn't seem so common anymore, so maybe we shouldn't call it "common" sense, maybe just call it "used to be common" sense.

Mike

You old cynic, you :D

Not that your wrong though ::)

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 10:22:32 PM
Hehe, I've been told that before. You been talkin' to my wife?  ;)

Mike

Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 10:23:12 PM
No, I stay away from other fella's wives these days :D

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 10:25:10 PM
No, I stay away from other fella's wives these days :D

Me too ....... hahahaha!

Mike

Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 10:26:58 PM
Sometimes in this life, you just have to learn your lessons don't you :D

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 10:31:03 PM
 We sure do. :drink:

Mike

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%