Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pulse vs Swisstool Spirit

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Pulse vs Swisstool Spirit
on: June 18, 2010, 01:49:14 AM
Well Now that I have owned both, I think it is only fair to compare and contrast these two fine tools for all of you.  This will be a head to toe opinion based review.

Plier Head
The winner here is the pulse for me.  The Pulse has true needle nose pliers, as well as better wire cutting area.  If the spirit had full needle nose I would call it a tie.

Knife
Well this means comparing a serrated sheepsfoot to a non serated clip point.  I did not actually use the spirit knife more than once, so due to accessability, the spirit wins this one.  I also prefer not having a standard blade on the tool because I had a folder with me anyway.

File

Pulse wins.  The file is a nice big fat file with a diamond coated side with a hook sharpener!  The spirit has a very effective file in its own right, but it did slice my finger open!

Phillips
I like the size of the spirit's, but it was slippery and seemed like I would bend it or mangle it.  Pulse takes this one too as the phillips is incredible!

Flathead
Easy win for the spirit.  Massive pryable flathead, and the others are integrated on other tools.  Sorry but I dont use flatheads near often enough to have multiple dedicated ones. 

Scredriver Abilities
Spirit locks into stretch position making it a comfort to use.  The pulse isn't bad or anything, but the knife did flop out and stab my finger last time I was driving with the phillips.I will say this about the drivers on the spirit:  there is a slight curve due to the ergonomics which made it awkward to use the drivers as they were not a straight line. Tie.

Scissors
Hmm...toughie as I am not a scissor genius.  I will say spirit because they feel more solid, although the pulse's do open more...

Canopener
No reason to choose as they both work. 

Saw
Spirit.  Don't ask why!

Awl
Same as above

Chisel
I used it because it was there, but unneccessary (that isn't spelled right is it?)

Fit and Finish
Spirit.  The backsprings are tight and it is very secure.  Pulse is a little floppy, but that doesn't really impact the usability.

Locks
Pulse. It just feels more secure to here that lock snap into place, and it is harder to accidentally unlock it.

Sturdyness
Pulse has less handle flex than the spirit when using the pliers, so I think that overall it feels more solid.

Closing thoughts

While the spirit has better ergonomics and more features, it just felt to me like a SAK that unfolds.  Hard to describe it, the tools seem to small compared to the Pulse.  It just seems more "feature packed", than "tool packed".  On the pulse everything is a solid tool that will do its job.  The spirit jsut felt more delicate, like the tools were designed to fill the MT rather than serve their purpose.  I think I prefer the pulse simply because it feels more like a tool when I use it.  Might just be that I am not an elegant person and was deceived by the swiss craftsmanship.  However, the Spirit obviously has a large crowd out there.  I think a full size swisstool would suit me better than the spirit, as it just didn't seem to line up with the full size multi's, although it easily outmatches anything less than a full size.

Thanks

Charger

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Pulse vs Swisstool Spirit
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:09:05 AM
The Spirits Awl is a real clincher for me in the Pulse V Spirit battle. I really do like the Vic's chisel too.
If the Pulse had the Vic's Awl & Saw it would not leave my pocket.

An interesting aside my Spirit is becoming a real nightmare to open , VERY STIFF. It is due to my pocket carrying it & lint/pocket debris building up in it. Nothing snaps a fingernail as well as a Vic MT  :D :D 

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 02:35:00 PM
The Spirit and Pulse are my most often carried multitools.   The Spirit is easier to use due to the external, nonclumping tools so I carry and use it more frequently.  I switch over the the Pulse when the Spirit seems too heavy to carry.

Occasionally, a Crescent ToolzAll is carried for variety sake.   

When using the tractor, I bring along a larger multitool like the Vic SwissTool X or SOG Powerlock.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 04:29:17 PM
Heh... I was about to post a similar thread, only with a very different conclusion, as I've almost decided to let go of my Pulse... More to come later.

ca Offline Charger

• Mr. Crunch!
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 05:17:00 PM
Post it here. Why not see multiple opinions in one place? Looking forward to it!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 05:42:36 PM
Heh... I was about to post a similar thread, only with a very different conclusion, as I've almost decided to let go of my Pulse... More to come later.
Blasphemy...  :twak: :twak:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 05:47:08 PM

'nuff said ;)

I used to come here a lot.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 06:08:59 PM
Not nice Dave ! The Pulse is a great tool . Depends on your application . I don't like full needlenoses when we are talking cast pliers , I prefer the hybrid pliers on the spirit . I like the butterknife , great for everyday utility /dirty cutting . I love the chisel/cable scraper/slitter thingie , I like the Spirit's awl better .

Good review , from your POV it makes good sence . It all depends on your applications , I like the unfoldable SAK feel of the Spirt as everything on the multi ( for me anyway ) is a tertiary deep reserve .

I still think the Pulse , Original Supertool , pre 2004 Wave , and Sideclip are the greatest of the Leatherman's .

Good Job,

Chris

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 06:52:17 PM
Good comparison mate.  I do love my Pulse but I don't own a Spirit to compare it to so I'll keep quite for now. :D 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 06:04:44 PM
Post it here. Why not see multiple opinions in one place? Looking forward to it!

Will do mate. I'll just have to find some time to do it properly (pics and all). :tu:

'nuff said ;)

:rofl:

Yeah I know... :-[ I've no use for shelf queens though mate... :-\ I've been finding myself over and over again trying to use the Pulse, only to ditch it for a SAK or Spirit or Charge as the clumping turns out a real bugger and the pliers seem so fragile I'm afraid to use them hard.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 06:52:55 PM

Will do mate. I'll just have to find some time to do it properly (pics and all). :tu:

'nuff said ;)

:rofl:

Yeah I know... :-[ I've no use for shelf queens though mate... :-\ I've been finding myself over and over again trying to use the Pulse, only to ditch it for a SAK or Spirit or Charge as the clumping turns out a real bugger and the pliers seem so fragile I'm afraid to use them hard.

We could of course have different definitions of what "hard" use is, but I've not yet come across anything that made stop and worry about the Pulses pliers' strength any more than on any other multi.  Still going strong.

Thanks to this thread though I've now got a Spirit X on the way to me. ::)

:D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%