Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Laptop Lunchboxes

Offline InspectorWinter

Laptop Lunchboxes
on: July 15, 2010, 03:00:29 AM
Having just read a post on always carrying a nalgene bottle and how it can decrease the amount of fizzy drinks you intake in a day.

Well I have gone one step further. Living and working in London everything is expensive, due to the nature of my job I never really get to sit down and eat, so through out the day I would find myself buying random snacks from vending machines, the odd pasty here, a few bags of crisps. Meaning I never ate anything healthy and could end up spending £20 a day on junk food!

Now I could never bring my own packed lunch, because they are always boring, a few squashed sandwiches and a yoghurt and an apple in a separate container.

And then my SWMBO found this site, and the Laptop Lunchbox
http://www.flickr.com/groups/laptop_lunches/pool/

It's a modular lunchbox system, with lids. Combined with my Spork it means I can take to work various different types of healthy food, all seperate from one another and with very little extra rubbish packaging.

So it fits all my needs in a lunchbox, and has become an essential part of my work EDC.

Not only that, but some of the lunches on the Flickr site are works of art! And it has encouraged me to try a lot more things (I have a policy that on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I click on a random picture from that site and attempt to replicate the featured lunch.)

Now I know a lunchbox isn't one of the most exciting pieces of EDC kit, and this post might not even belong here, but have a think if it could be of use to you  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:12:38 AM by InspectorWinter »

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Laptop Lunchboxes
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 03:21:14 AM
While I like Bento boxes in general, I'm rather digging this lunch storage set myself, even if it is pricey; with that said, I would have little to no need for one, especially at that cost, so it's just a random whim of a want for me. :)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 04:41:49 AM
I love the bento concept. HK started making bento boxes for lunch ages ago and it works really well. Being gluten intolerant also means that you can't buy stuff on the go very easily that isn't absolute rubbish, so japanese foods often provide good substitutes.

Nom nom.... got munchies now :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:33:11 AM
When I was at work long time ago it was very big company and I could have lunch there. After that at university the same, and going back to school for 6 months for more training we had a class for cooking there and I could have cheap lunch too (that was a blessing because I lived in a single room without much options to cook for myself in the evening, and the food at school was very good and cheap  :drool:). Now I need a lunchbox only now and then, and for years I used a simple tupperware box (just one out of the closet that would do the job). Some time ago I found the Light my fire mealkit and I love that. It comes with a spork and several other items and all fit togehter, of course only if you don't have your food in the big box. I added a Opinel knife and a second Spork and now it has everything you need, ready to go, for up to 2 persons. It's perfect if you go out for a picknick or to a barbecue where you have to expect only plastic plates and cutlery.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 06:22:57 PM
While I like Bento boxes in general, I'm rather digging this lunch storage set myself, even if it is pricey; with that said, I would have little to no need for one, especially at that cost, so it's just a random whim of a want for me. :)

At almost $10 for a combo meal at any fast food restaurants, a $55 lunch set would pay for itself in no time!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 06:24:21 PM

At almost $10 for a combo meal at any fast food restaurants, a $55 lunch set would pay for itself in no time!

Def

While true, truth be told, I'm a rather frugal person unless I know I'll use the item... granted, with that said, I have enough Micras (four?) to last me a lifetime. :/ :D

[Edit:  I suppose I should clarify; though I do describe myself as being frugal, that does not prevent me from purchasing items that even to me are pricey (eg, anything over I suppose $60); however, I also factor in how much use (or peace of mind) I will get out of an item.  With the footlocker that I purchased, I spent $180ish on it total, however with it being much more durable, I have much more peace of mind with it safely storing whatever I decide to put within it:  laptop, random knives awaiting new homes, et cetera; as opposed to using the footlocker I got from Target for $20 that I'm iffy about even using it's rolling wheels.  ::)  Or, for another example, my new pair of GoLite hiking shoes; I purchased those for less than $51 shipped to my door for a pair of $110 + shipping pair of shoes.  They'll last a heck of a lot longer - and remain in better condition - than the New Balance shoes that I would've otherwise purchased, most likely for not much less than what my GoLite's cost me.  Well, and let's not even get into various SAKs and multitools; as far as I'm concerned, I can have a small collection of goodies, and they're likewise an investment if I get the right items for the right price; it's not like their value will suddenly plummet, unlike other random items. Yes, the Mnandi was an exception, but I suppose it's my Christmas present to myself.] :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:36:08 PM by Sazabi »

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 06:27:22 PM
As much as I've always adored lunch boxes and love the idea of a modular lunchbox...

I'm too cheap to pay for the container, or for a healthy lunch.

It's usually instant ramen for me. :D
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 06:29:17 PM
As much as I've always adored lunch boxes and love the idea of a modular lunchbox...

But if you do bother to truly cook for yourself and purchase groceries in bulk, you can have nutritious, delicious meals that average out to be just a couple dollars per meal, as opposed to Instant Ramen. :P

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 06:53:40 PM

But if you do bother to truly cook for yourself and purchase groceries in bulk, you can have nutritious, delicious meals that average out to be just a couple dollars per meal, as opposed to Instant Ramen. :P

Lunch usually runs me 38 cents. :D
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 07:36:07 PM

Lunch usually runs me 38 cents. :D

Yes, but it's in no real way nutritious or healthy for you. :/

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 03:15:08 PM
I started with o-bento maybe three years ago; I was still a single, and the o-bento making was a way to take some time for me -sort of zen meditation while working- during the day, and to learn aome basic food serving skills.
My first attempts were not good enough http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilcicali/sets/72157603901776152/
to continue seeking form over function, then I turned to efficient meals.

Bento boxes are an efficient way to save money, arrange healthy foods... I eventually turned into o-bento my wife -an itlian traditional food lover- that when in Japan decided to buy her own sets... many more of than I had before.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilcicali/4102050674/in/set-72157622799741482/
Now she takes care of my veggie meals and theirs each morning, and she's very good at arranging traditional foods in bento style... eye needs its part too to make lunchtime a nice moment.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:17:37 PM by sardauker »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD