Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Utica/Kutmaster Rescue Tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Utica/Kutmaster Rescue Tools
on: January 23, 2010, 07:54:41 AM
We just happened by the Utica/Kutmaster booth looking for new tools and while there wasn't much new, there was a coupole of knives of interest, the Immediate Response Rescue Knife and the Compact Rescue Knife:

The Immediate Response Rescue Knife is the larger one, and is described as:

The most complete rescue knife of it's kind today.  Features a 3 1/2" bead blast tanto blade with safety liner lock.  Handle incorporates a razor sharp seat belt cutter with glass breaker end.  Handle of knife safely stores slotted #6 and #8 double ended bit and one double ended #1 and #2 phillips bit.  EZ slide allows for quick and safe removal of bits.  Reverse side of knife features a stainless steel clip.

The IRRK has some interesting features- the glass breaker is actually incorporated into the end of the screwdriver socket, allowing two functions in the space of one.  This is done by putting two hard points on either side of the bit adaptor.

Two  double ended screwdriver bits are packed into the side, and are ejected using a sliding lever rather than trying to push them out with your fingers like on Leatherman's knives.

Just above that is a rescue cutter suitable for cutting seatbelts, clothing or anything else that may need to be cut without harming the person underneath it.

Lastly, the blade locks up nice and solid with a nicely made liner locking mechanism.

The Compact Rescue Knife, according to Kutmaster:

Measuring 3 1/2" closed with a 2 1/4" 420 stainless steel modified tanto blade.  Features a razor sharp seatbelt cutter with easy brake glass breaker tip at the end of the handle.

This knife is a handy size for the glove box in your car, where it can be left in case the worst happens.  With no sheath or pocket clip it's a little less convenient to carry around, but it's small size means it can be slipped into a pocket quickly and easily, and not be noticeable until or unless it's needed.

It's cutter and lock up are identical to the IRRK above.

The MSRP on both of these knives is under $20, and both will be available in April.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Re: Utica/Kutmaster Rescue Tools
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 08:06:29 AM
Oh wow. Smart designs actually make these interesting to me. :drool:

Love that window breaker screwdriver.
Got those frog legs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:08:54 AM
It is a neat idea- just because these are inexpensive knives doesn't mean that someone wasn't spending time thinking about how to make them good!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:23:46 AM
How did the grip feel with that rubber storage on the side? I do like the idea of a lever to push the push out (much easier than by hand) but it adds a lot of uneven bulk. :think:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:38:11 AM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 09:06:29 AM
If you are right handed it probably won't be too noticeable as your fingers are on that side of the handle.  I think lefties will have issues with this one.

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:34:34 PM
Boy the big one kinda reminds me of the Zilla tool. It looks like the driver was kinda borrowed.
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 05:59:29 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

My thoughts exactly John, the cast bit driver housing on the end is very reminiscint of the Zilla. However, it is a good solid way to drive a bit, and Kutmaster has added the little spikey points for use as an emergency glass breaker.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 09:39:04 PM
I usually don't go for folders but I like that little guy, and the price sounds nice.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 12:52:06 AM
Cool Onthe spikes. I just might now look at it more seriously. It would seem to be a good blade just to store in cars and trucks at work.
S

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 02:59:24 AM
I received a sample of the Compact Rescue in today's mail.  I'm working with some firefighters on the possibility of getting some imprinted.

At first appearance, the knife is really small, but it looks sturdy.  The tanto blade opens smoothly and is reasonably sharp.  The seatbelt cutter has a very thin chisel grind and slices paper like a razor.  When I have time to play, I may see what it will do on twine and paracord.(I sincerely hope not to have to cut a seat belt with it any time soon.)

Overall, it looks like a very pocketable useful tool that is affordable enough to use, lose or break without going broke.  I'd like to see a pocket clip and a little more size.  For my purposes the grips look well designed for imprinting or laser engraving.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 02:04:23 PM
On my samples, the small one's rescue cutter works great, but the larger one won't cut at all.  It's possible (very likely) that I got a "bad" one, and I'll be sure to contact Utica about this.

Oh, one more thing, if you are planning on something like an imprint/engraving on these.  The handle isn't black- it's painted black, which means if engraved, it could chip, and is prone to scratching/wear which leaves silver (bare metal) showing through.

Def
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:05:55 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%